SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good news for Missourians - Sen. Roy Blunt will not be running for re-election in 2022
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good news for Missourians - Sen. Roy Blunt will not be running for re-election in 2022 Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
He lost my support after publicly railing against Obamacare then quietly giving Harry Reid his vote.

Link

Republican Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri said that he wouldn’t run for re-election in 2022, the latest in a series of Senate retirements planned by veterans within the party as it maps its future following former President Donald Trump’s loss last year.

Mr. Blunt, 71 years old and a member of the Senate GOP leadership, announced his decision in a video and press statement, a move that will cap a long political career that includes leadership positions in the House of Representatives.

“After 14 General Election victories—three to county office, seven to the United States House of Representatives, and four statewide elections—I won’t be a candidate for re-election to the United States Senate next year,” Mr. Blunt said. “I want to thank my family and thank the great team that came together to help me work for you.”

Mr. Blunt has been a key behind-the-scenes player among Senate Republicans, part of the leadership team assembled by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) to steer his party through the Senate in the post-Trump era.

His last race, in 2016, was made challenging by the rise of Mr. Trump, whose frequent calls to “drain the swamp” created turbulence for long-serving Republicans. Already, a string of Republicans who competed successfully in that cycle have said that they won’t run again, including Sens. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, Rob Portman of Ohio, Richard Burr of North Carolina, and Richard Shelby of Alabama.

The departure paves the way for what is likely to be a competitive primary in a red state with a large pro-Trump electorate. Sen. Josh Hawley (R., Mo.), a freshman elected in 2018, rode to victory that year by yoking himself to Mr. Trump and the former president’s populist politics, including a tough-on-immigration streak.

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Even better news for Missourians and America:

https://twitter.com/clairecmc/.../1368963530465116167

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Even better news for Missourians and America:

^^^^
I'll believe that when the filing date has passed. Or does the filing date even matter anymore? Is a filing date now considered an archaic construct designed to oppress?

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post