SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Custer battle June 25th 1876
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custer battle June 25th 1876 Login/Join 
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Custer's home - Fort Abraham Lincoln, Dakota Terr.
This is where Libbie was informed of the tragedy of the battle.
Commanding Officer's Quarters

Where Custer Fell ~ June 1876

Pictographs of LBH by Sitting Bull.
Buffalo Bill Cody Historical Center - Cody, Wyo.
Pictographs by Sitting Bull

Grave of Crow Scout Curly

Custer's West Point Dress Uniform

The command attempted to get to the top of this hill but found a thousand Sioux already there.

Last Stand Hill

The 7th's senior officer.
Grave of Capt. Marcus Reno-Custer National Cemetary

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"These guys don't look so tough", George Custer tells his aide as hundreds of Indians pour on the field.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I may have posted this before on the topic but the ranger's narration makes you think he saw it first hand.
C-SPAN Custer's Last Stand

Michael

Posts: 1137 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may have posted this before on the topic but the ranger's narration makes you think he saw it first hand.

I enjoyed it. Thanks

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:

Michael

Fascinating. Thank you for that, Michael.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:

...That battlefield is an eerie place. As TMats said there are a number of vantage points that allow an unobstructed view.

All those white markers identifying where a U.S. Soldier fell, in isolated little clumps scattered about the plain, culminating in the small rise where Custer fell, it is easy to imagine the course of the battle. It really is haunting to look at.

Eerie is spot on. This book does a good job detailing where all the solders fell, with then and now photos:

https://www.amazon.com/Where-C...ds=where+custer+fell

Posts: 16003 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd like to visit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Custer: "Where in the Hell did all these fucking Indians come from?"

Old Yellow Hair got what he deserved that day.

His men, not so much.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I came across this the other day. I did not realize the signficance of Commanche and how he had survived the battle. It looks like the taxidermist did an excellent job. Here is the link:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/3312

I have a Breyer Commemorative of Commanche. His story and post battle life is wonderful.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Has there been a reasonable estimate of Indian deaths? I don't remember ever hearing.

Guess not everyone is a fan...
Apparently there is a big long loop drive of the area / battlefield? Sister and BIL did it a few years ago and she said never again! Boring drive she said, took a long time. But they were on Harleys and it was miserably hot that day.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i think Benteen had a serious dislike of Custer and hung him out to dry maybe on purpose. If not on purpose maybe he didn't encourage his men to back up the men getting slaughtered quite fast enough

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of side notes about that battle and Reno. Comanche belonged to Maj, Keogh and was named because he'd once belonged to a Comanche. Reno was a captain in the cavalry at the Battle of Mine Creek October 25, 1864 at Mine Creek (KS)and involved about 12,500 cavalry on both sides. Reno is credited with ordering his burglar to blow charge that started the attack on the Confederates attempting to cross flooded Mine Creek. For Civil War buffs/ "OCTOBER 25th and THE BATTLE OF MINE CREEK BY LUMIR F. BURESH. ($12.95) The Lowell Press, KC, Missouri.
Perhaps the largest all cavalry battle of that war!
Reno was an honorable soldier then and at the Little Big Horn.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horn:
Lots of side notes about that battle and Reno. Comanche belonged to Maj, Keogh and was named because he'd once belonged to a Comanche. Reno was a captain in the cavalry at the Battle of Mine Creek October 25, 1864 at Mine Creek (KS)and involved about 12,500 cavalry on both sides. Reno is credited with ordering his burglar to blow charge that started the attack on the Confederates attempting to cross flooded Mine Creek. For Civil War buffs/ "OCTOBER 25th and THE BATTLE OF MINE CREEK BY LUMIR F. BURESH. ($12.95) The Lowell Press, KC, Missouri.
Perhaps the largest all cavalry battle of that war!
Reno was an honorable soldier then and at the Little Big Horn.
Poli Viejo
Benteen was also at Mine Creek.

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post