SIGforum
What the heck kind of spider is this

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1140079974

February 25, 2021, 09:18 AM
HRK
What the heck kind of spider is this
I've seen these lately, don't recall seeing them in years past, they spin massive web links, over 6 feet long, hang around the Ligustrum tree up front and I've found this one stringing up his web of doom on the pool deck...

One crazy looking horned back red spiked devil. he's not a monster in size, about as large as my little finger nail.

Looks like they are advancing from the front lawn to the back of the house, apparently scouting for optimal positions from which to attack...

February 25, 2021, 09:25 AM
RichardC
Spiny Orb-Weaver, Gasteracantha cancriformis
The spiny orb-weaver spider is one of the most colorful and easily recognized spiders in Florida. The dorsum of the abdomen is usually white with black spots and large red spines on the margin. Females are 5 mm to 10 mm long and 10 mm to 14 mm wide. The webs typically contain tufts of silk, which may prevent birds from flying into them.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in017

February 25, 2021, 09:27 AM
Wreckless
Crab spiders is what they are known by in FL

La Dolce Vita
February 25, 2021, 09:38 AM
cslinger
Jesus he has a spiked skull helmet. It’s a friggin hells angel spider. Cuz NORMAL spiders are just so cuddly.

Gah!!

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
February 25, 2021, 10:43 AM
Pipe Smoker
Interesting!

It’s the most peculiar spider that I’ve ever seen.

Serious about crackers
February 25, 2021, 10:48 AM
preten2b
Sigforum - Arachnid answers in 7 minutes!!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis
February 25, 2021, 10:50 AM
alteon180e
very common all over florida. harmless beyond their annoying webs and hard work at spreading all over the place. you can walk down a sidewalk/path filled with their webs.

killing/clearing out aint hard, if not lasting. i have not had success completely clearing them out for any extended period of time.
February 25, 2021, 11:08 AM
joel9507
Harmless and kind of pretty.

We have analogs here, but ours aren't as showy.
February 25, 2021, 11:23 AM
msfzoe
Forum members possess unbelievable depth of knowledge.
February 25, 2021, 11:56 AM
Loswsmith
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Looks like they are advancing from the front lawn to the back of the house, apparently scouting for optimal positions from which to attack...

They're clearly dropping out of orbit from their home planet of Klendathu. Probably using the cylindrical UFOs recently seen as drop capsules. Watch out for the ones that shoot plasma from their butts.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
February 25, 2021, 12:08 PM
Jimbo Jones
What spider?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.
February 25, 2021, 02:44 PM
flashguy
An ugly one. Interesting and showy, but not pretty IMO. I have never seen one in my AO, but I wouldn't kill one.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
February 25, 2021, 03:05 PM
ArtieS
We had tons of them in Winter Garden in the live oaks. Harmless little fellows.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
February 25, 2021, 04:43 PM
photohause
I call them samurai spiders

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

February 25, 2021, 05:14 PM
whanson_wi
Looks like it should be called the Caltrop Spider. I never saw one during my stay in Florida; it's kind of neat looking.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.
February 25, 2021, 05:17 PM
gearhounds
Another harmless spider that the biggest threat is a face full of silk if you don’t see them before blundering into their orb webs Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
February 25, 2021, 05:25 PM
scsigs
I see lots of them at my farm, they are kinda neat looking
February 25, 2021, 06:19 PM
Maestro
They make beautiful webs!
February 25, 2021, 06:46 PM
k
We had those all over where I grew up in Hawaii. Must be a sub tropical critter.
n