SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USAA Data Breach?? Anyone Hear Anything?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USAA Data Breach?? Anyone Hear Anything? Login/Join 
posted
Hello forum members. I have a USAA credit card and earlier this week I received an email notice that I had an $8 expedited charge on my USAA credit card. I called and found out that someone had ordered a new credit card from my account to be delivered via FedEx to somewhere in Charlotte, NC. I however am in Virginia Beach and of course didn't order the card.
I found it strange that instead of saying they would cancel the account and send me a new card, they said for me to call back today (Friday). Today I called back and I was told that they locked the account (credit card and even me being able to log in on line) and "it had to "be investigated" and I should call back next Thursday. This sounds very suspicious as when this happened a few years ago, the suspect card was cancelled and they sent out a new card. It just seems suspicious that I have to call back in a day shy of a week for a status?
Maybe they had a major data breach and this delay is damage control?? Anyone hear anything suggesting USAA had a dat breach or is this the new normal??

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You called the number on the back of the card, right?

If you called a number they gave you in the email, that sounds like a phishing scam. You probably didn’t actually talk to USAA.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Have you called them at their customer service number, NOT the number listed on the email? Sounds almost like a phishing scheme.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d get on the phone with them at the number on the back of your card, pronto. I’m 99% sure you’ve been scammed.

Let us know what you find out.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I did call the number on the card and the number on the "real" USAA website. I had the FedEx tracking number and a package was in fact delivered to an address in Charlotte. Of course it was "Left by the front door" with no signature needed. I'll call them next week and see when they will send out another card, but I never had to wait for an investigation to get offered a replacement card.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
Yes I did call the number on the card and the number on the "real" USAA website. I had the FedEx tracking number and a package was in fact delivered to an address in Charlotte. Of course it was "Left by the front door" with no signature needed. I'll call them next week and see when they will send out another card, but I never had to wait for an investigation to get offered a replacement card.

That’s incredible. USAA really screwed the pooch on that one. Wow.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’m dealing with USAA on an auto claim. I know it’s a different department, but they’ve screwed up just about everything they could so far. Very unimpressed.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Sadly their customer service and general competence has been sliding inversely proportionate to their advertising volume. Frown This from a member of over 43 years.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get frequent emails from USAA about my account.

...except I don't have one with them.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would call them today and DEMAND answers. Is your account still locked? If so, they are denying you access to YOUR money and YOUR financial services that you pay for.

No way in heck I would politely wait a week for this to get 'investigated.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry, soon a bunch of USAA apologists will show up. Talk about how great they are. I’ve been with them for 30+ years and they are a shadow of their previous self. Do your homework and run from any product that you can beat their price. Their service hasn’t been hard to beat for years. Don’t get hung up on the subscribers savings account. They over charge you and your kids will get a pittance when you die. WGAS?

USAA sent funds from my savings account to a closing. Except they didn’t and it took a couple days and hours on the phone to figure it out. I have lots of stories first hand about their idiocy. I am divesting myself out of their products.

When they decided to go big they lost their mojo.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I get frequent emails from USAA about my account.

...except I don't have one with them.

Me too. For years and years. Weird.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

I would call them today and DEMAND answers. Is your account still locked? If so, they are denying you access to YOUR money and YOUR financial services that you pay for.

No way in heck I would politely wait a week for this to get 'investigated.'

I’m not sure about what relationship the OP has with USAA (I’ve never done anything with them). If it is just a credit card account, then I don’t see how they are denying him access to his money. Every credit card I have ever had it was always their money that they were loaning me short-term, hoping I’d keep it long enough to have to pay interest on it. I once paid for an Amex card, but that was a long time ago. Every credit card I have is free and paid in full on the due date. The only money they make on me is what they get from the merchants on my charges. Having more than one card is a good idea, so when BofA pisses you off 37 seconds after buying the credit card company you’ve been happy with for years, you can just close that card and move one of the others to the front of the rotation. YMMV.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
USAA is a huge business and has ZERO concern for it's "members". Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) used to be a closed credit union. I remember I had to join while on a Med cruise because the only supported the "sea service". They have also become a giant business that is answering to shares and profits.
USAA has followed (or led) they way down that same path. Used to be you had to be a commissioned officer to be a member. First thing I did when I earned (yes, earned, I was an LDO)my commission was to join USAA.
I became disillusioned when I was SCREWED on my auto claim when a kid blew a stop sign and totaled my Tahoe. I had receipts that proved maintenance and the condition. All of that was worthless. The USAA guy even told me that it is a "give and take" between the insurance companies. "Sometimes they have to go low on a claim payout, then the other company will go low on the next claim."
No love for USAA here; it's just business.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post