SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question About So-Called American “Oktoberfest” Beer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About So-Called American “Oktoberfest” Beer Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My wife picked up some Victory Brewing Oktoberfest Festbier the other day and while it was very good, it was NOT the Oktoberfest beer I remember drinking at the actual Munich Oktoberfest in both 1993 and 1995 while over there courtesy of Uncle Sam.

This beer was a amber-ish, lager, kind of sweet/malty, medium bodied I’d say?

What I remember, drinking in Munich was more of a lighter yellow, more light-ish lager, and it was by the liter-full.

Is there more than one style of what is considered Oktoberfest beer? I just seem to remember the yellow lager.

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is 1 style. I can't say what it's like in Germany. I did go there, not during Octoberfest, and had many beers in many styles.

I think in the USA people tend to use darker, maltier beers as Octoberfest beers because it signals the change from light summer beers to heavier fall beers. I like a sweet malty dark beer so I'm good with it here in the USA.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
There are two styles of Oktoberfest beer:
  • Marzen is the amber style that is more traditional (~200 years)
  • Festbier is newer (~70 years) blonder style. More like a lager. Sounds like what the OP prefers.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Don't Panic
    Picture of joel9507
    posted Hide Post
    tatortodd has it right.

This is what they serve these days at the tents at the actual Oktoberfest:

Look for 'Festbier' or 'Weisn' on the label from the big Munich breweries. This style is not easy to find but specialty bottle shops should have it. Some US brewers make this style as well. I usually stock up on the Paulaner Oktoberfest Weisn this time of year.

The American retail market is awash this time of year with Marzen style, also labeled Oktoberfest over here. They don't serve Marzen at the Oktoberfest, but it is popular (and not bad at all) so the Germans still make it for us. You can tell the difference by color, Marzen is deep orange:

Posts: 15032 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peripheral Visionary
    Picture of tigereye313
    posted Hide Post
    Both are brewed with lager yeast, difference is in the malt, like Tatortodd said. Wink

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I’m not a beer drinker, but boy those frostys look mighty tasty.
    PROST!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Optimistic Cynic
    Picture of architect
    posted Hide Post
    To me, Oktoberfest differs widely from brewery to brewery more than perhaps any other named style. However a brewery processes their recipe seems rooted in their mainstream offerings. If I don't like a brewery's usual beers, it is a safe bet that I won't like their Oktoberfest. I will acknowledge that this may be prejudice or confirmation bias on my part.

Thanks to tatertodd for pointing out the competing styles called Oktoberfest. I was unaware of this distinction although my taste buds strongly favor the Marzen style.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    If malty was a distinct flavor, you're likely seeking a Helles, which would be a lager.
    If you remember a hoppier flavor, likely a Pilsner.
    Something in-between, full-body, with some flavor but, not too hoppy, likely a Marzen

All three would be classed as a light beer but, flavors can vary.

Closest I've tasted here in the US, to what I had in Bavaria was a Helles by Enegren Brewery, serve in a frosted glass and enjoy. Trader Joe's has carried it over the last 3-years, which reminds me, I need to get some.

I think I'll pour one and enjoy the festivities

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    As Tator pointed out, 2 real styles.
    Marzen which is darker and Munich(Festbier) which is more golden.
    I like both but I found Warsteiner (Munich style) locally and it's damn tasty.
    Platform brewing makes a really good Marzen style that's close to what my one friend brewed at his brewery.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Animis Opibusque Parati
    posted Hide Post
    Yuengling Marzen style Oktoberfest beer is very tasty, yet nothing like the beer I had in Germany during Oktoberfest. My thought is, if you like the taste, enjoy. Prost!!!

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    They're after my Lucky Charms!
    Picture of IrishWind
    posted Hide Post
    And here is a younger German's take on Oktoberfest (she is from Munchen and has been to the event a time or two)

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
    Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    American brewery’s aren’t using a yeast strain that’s been propagated at the brewery for the last 2-300yrs

Bayern Brewery in Missoula MT probably has some of the oldest yeast strains in use domestically. Jurgen brought it with him when he moved here from Germany in the 80’s. His main yeast was 150yrs old when I would stop by the brewery often. My roommate was the assistant brewer at that time. He propagates multiple strains depending on what seasonal is being produced. His Octoberfest is a dark Marzen

https://www.bayernbrewery.com/oktoberfest

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6229 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rick Lee
    posted Hide Post
    Been to Munich about 20x, been to Oktoberfest there twice. No beer in the US even comes close to what they serve there. Hell, you can't even buy Augustinerbräu outside of Bavaria, and that's the best beer there. My favorite beer in the US is Gordon Biersch's Märzen from tap, but those places are disappearing. And I can't recall having any Märzen-style beer anywhere outside of Austria.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by joel9507:
    tatortodd has it right.

This is what they serve these days at the tents at the actual Oktoberfest:

Look for 'Festbier' or 'Weisn' on the label from the big Munich breweries. This style is not easy to find but specialty bottle shops should have it. Some US brewers make this style as well. I usually stock up on the Paulaner Oktoberfest Weisn this time of year.

The American retail market is awash this time of year with Marzen style, also labeled Oktoberfest over here. They don't serve Marzen at the Oktoberfest, but it is popular (and not bad at all) so the Germans still make it for us. You can tell the difference by color, Marzen is deep orange:

Those two are probably the best “Oktoberfest” style biers I can get around here. Excellent stuff..

Posts: 4063 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    Yep. Tatortodd and joel9507 nailed it. The only missing piece is that both styles of beer were at various times the "official" beer served at the Oktoberfest festival. The amber Marzen was the original style served from the start in the early 1800s through the mid/late 1900s, and starting in the 1950s the lighter golden Weisn/Festbier style was introduced then gradually took over and eventually totally replaced the older Marzen style at the festival.

Nearly all domestically brewed Oktoberfest beers are the older Marzen style. Weisn/Festbier can be tougher to find, and will almost exclusively be German imports, although the German breweries also export Marzen style Oktoberfest beers to the US since Americans seem to prefer that style.

I love both styles, and try to stock my fall/winter stash of Oktoberfest beers with both, mostly German imports rather than domestics (although I do dabble in domestic Oktoberfests).

Paulaner is the easiest to find of the imported German Weisn/Festbier around here, but I think Hoffbrau's is better, although availability is usually limited. I couldn't get my hands on any Hoffbrau this year...

Whereas Spaten is the easiest to find of the imported German Marzens around here, but I think Ayinger is the best.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    In Odin we trust
    Picture of akcopnfbks
    posted Hide Post
    I prefer marzen style beers to the festbier style personally. They are far more interesting to my palate, though I like them both.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than omnipotent moral busybodies" ~ C.S. Lewis

Posts: 1732 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    An investment in knowledge
    pays the best interest
    posted Hide Post
    When I was at the '06 Oktoberfest in Munich, some of the Deutsch biers also had a small amount of lemonade added to the beer. We were told this was traditional for some of the selections.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dakor:
    When I was at the '06 Oktoberfest in Munich, some of the Deutsch biers also had a small amount of lemonade added to the beer. We were told this was traditional for some of the selections.

Those are known as a radler, lemonade mixed with beer; basically its a shandy. Sprite or Ginger Ale can also be used for a more refreshing/fizzy drink.
    Coca Cola mixed with beer is called a Diesal or, colabier.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    An investment in knowledge
    pays the best interest
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by corsair:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dakor:

Those are known as a radler, lemonade mixed with beer; basically its a shandy. Sprite or Ginger Ale can also be used for a more refreshing/fizzy drink.
    Coca Cola mixed with beer is called a Diesal or, colabier.

Radler, that's it! I was having trouble remembering the term. I particularly liked the Dunkel Radler, damn good stuff. And no, I'm not a fruity beer kind of guy (I shy away from wheat beer b/c of that taste perception) but an authentic dark Radler made for some smooth drinking.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ACTEG
    posted Hide Post
    Pick up some hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest. That’s the real deal. I went to Oktoberfest in 09, 11, and 19. Next time will probably be when my son is old enough to partake

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post