SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DC metro help/suggestions/advice needed for USMC marathon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DC metro help/suggestions/advice needed for USMC marathon Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
My 16y/o son won the lottery and will be running the USMC marathon in a few weeks. This is an epic event for my family as this will be his first full marathon, and neither of my son's have ever been to DC. We will be staying in Falls Church, and using the metro back and forth to our hotel. We will be arriving on Saturday, and staying until Thursday to sightsee.

I am clueless about the DC metro. I am looking at buying the prepaid Metro cards online for all four of my family members. We will probably use Capitol Bikeshare to get around while we are in DC during the day.

Anything I need to know?

TIA for any comments, suggestion, advice...

Smith

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10558 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best source of info is Metro itself. You may be well served with the three day unlimited passes.

https://www.wmata.com/fares/fa...ons.cfm#main-content

Posts: 3407 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Rent some of the annoying scooters the leave all about town. Kids will love it.

Metro is super easy. Maps everywhere.

Check out Air & Space Museum, Museum of Natural History, and Museum of American History.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
not metro related,

however in Falls Church Dogfishhead Alehouse is a very good place to eat,

excellent beer as well, and very family friendly

wife and I try to stop there every time we are in the area

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10594 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
It's been 20 years since I ran that race, but the Metro will be a zoo that day and there will be a lot of road closures. Don't plan on it being like any other day on the Metro. I doubt you'll be able to bring a bike on the Metro that day and you probably won't be able to easily ride between waypoints on the race route. Best way to see that race is to throw on some old race bib and bandit run it. Muhahaha.

Posts: 3695 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post