SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RG6 cable is direct bury I am assuming?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RG6 cable is direct bury I am assuming? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have got to set up a temp. Antenna service for OTA tv service. I need to run under ground with RG6 to make it happen. Am I good to go. The connections will be above the surface. Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Should be fine, for temp.
But, how far?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
To answer your question directly, "maybe". (But don't count on it for what you have.)

From Wikipedia:
quote:
RG-6/U is a common type of coaxial cable used in a wide variety of residential and commercial applications. An RG-6/U coaxial cable has a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms. The term, RG-6, is generic and is applied to a wide variety of cable designs, which differ from one another in shielding characteristics, center conductor composition, dielectric type and jacket type.

RG6 is an electrical performance definition. Whether or not it can be direct buried (or aerial, or plenum-rated, etc. etc. etc.) is a characteristic of the jacket material. Unless you're buying something that specifically states it's rated for burial, it's probably not.

To stoic's point, you can get away with it for a little while. Not long term.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If you're already digging a ditch, put a run of PVC under there and run it through there. Also, run a length of 550 cord through it in case you want to put anything else through it. That way you won't need to dig again.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
"Temporary". 3-4" deep, wrap connections in cheaper stretchable electrical tape and place markers. Not too deep that yo can't just rip it out? Those 3/4" pcv lengths are fun to haul on a roof though.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Whether your RG6 cable is direct-bury or not has already been answered.
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
If you're already digging a ditch, put a run of PVC under there and run it through there.
Common mistake/misunderstanding.

This will not protect cable from water intrusion and, in fact, can even make it more likely. Moisture will accumulate in the PVC and eventually become water, at which point it will begin intruding even into direct-bury cable.

This is fine for AC electrical and low-voltage power applications. A no-no for any data cable applications. (Unless you want to pressurize it with dried air or nitrogen.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^ My suggestion was more for ease of use and not having to dig up the lawn every time you want to run something, as well as protecting the coax from hungry underground varmints. Water intrusion can be mitigated in PVC by simply drilling a few holes in the bottom of it so the condensation can drain out. Assuming the OP doesn't live in a swamp that is.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GASIGnut
posted Hide Post
For a brief six month period a couple years ago, I ran cable and climbed poles as a tech for the local cable/ internet company. Orange RG6 cable was used to when the cable line needed to be run from a ground pedestal to the house (as opposed to an aerial line from pole to house.
We laid the RG6 on the ground to the house after making the connections and a separate company would come behind us and dig a 4-6” trench to bury the cable.
I often was called back to the site due to the cable being accidentally cut for any number of reasons. Too shallow a ditch mainly.
Salt air in these beach towns will definitely degrade the cable quickly as well. The cable company is constantly chasing their tail by sending techs out to replace degraded coax after just a few years, both aerial pole lines and buried lines.

~ take advantage of today, & have no regrets
Carry On

Posts: 339 | Location: Apalachicola, FL | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
As it turned out guys. The antenna was able to be placed inside the home behind the tv and got a great signal and I only needed a 6' cable.
Problem solved. Big Grin