SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can politicians, celebrities or controversial figures escape the all watching eye of Social Media?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can politicians, celebrities or controversial figures escape the all watching eye of Social Media? Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted
Most people are on some sort of social media. Smart phones with a video camera is the norm for almost everyone. How difficult would it be for politicians, celebrities or other controversial figures that go out in public places (stores, restaurants, etc.), avoid having their activities and/or candid photos/videos posted to Social Media?

All but impossible these days? What say you?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
How difficult would it be for people to mind their own fucking business on both sides of the smart phones?

Sort of like woman and sexual assault. If they would stop dressing provocatively, they wouldn't be causing men trouble.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
How difficult would it be for people to mind their own fucking business on both sides of the smart phones?

I agree.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Impossible in today's culture. People attached to the cellphones know no boundaries anymore. Heck I get strange looks and comments from people I know all the time when I tell them I don't even have my phone in my pocket most evenings and weekends.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Impossible in today's culture. People attached to the cellphones know no boundaries anymore.

A friend of mine has grandchildren that post candid photos of other family members all the time without their consent.

-- George Orwell

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Nope. That's the cost of being rich and (in)famous.

There is no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems like most of them are desperate for attention since they weren't able to get some kind of cooking or home improvement show.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Impossible in today's culture. People attached to the cellphones know no boundaries anymore. Heck I get strange looks and comments from people I know all the time when I tell them I don't even have my phone in my pocket most evenings and weekends.
You should see the looks I get when I use my flip phone (which is very seldon).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Before there was social media, they posted (and still post) celebrities' goings-on to supermarket checkout tabloid/gossip magazines. Other than cell phone or other digital cameras instead of film, and social media being instant rather than the lead times of magazines, I don't see much difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
i get strange looks when asked for my cell number. You see I don't have a cell phone. Never had one, don't want one.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1690 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Same. Every now and then, I get a little grief for not having Apple Pay, scanning a menu with a phone, all kinds of bullshit, simply because I stopped the smartphone crap. I get the feeling they think I'm weird or something.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16710 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Impossible.

Social media applications are a plague on society.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12645 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

flashguy

Same. Every now and then, I get a little grief for not having Apple Pay, scanning a menu with a phone, all kinds of bullshit, simply because I stopped the smartphone crap. I get the feeling they think I'm weird or something.

Nah…just a bit of an oddball!

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

flashguy

I always giggle and say "I don't have that stupid shit"

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
celebrities and politicians are on social media for the purpose of getting their name out there.

When they stop being celebrities or politicians, they can simply unplug and not check social media.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19684 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I use my iPhone as a phone, a game device, taking pictures, navigation, chatting with friends/family. No social media other than SF; i don’t hang my laundry out for the sake of saying “look at my laundry!”, nor do I care about other peoples.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Social media apps were intended to bring us closer to our world. Now I’m pretty certain that aliens lock their doors when they fly through our solar system..

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Same here. Hell, I turn mine completely off sometimes.
Go out to see local bands and the phone stays in the truck. I'm there to watch and listen to a band, not to take pictures, videos and text everyone.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
quote:

Same here. Hell, I turn mine completely off sometimes.
Go out to see local bands and the phone stays in the truck. I'm there to watch and listen to a band, not to take pictures, videos and text everyone.
My flip phone is OFF unless I'm making a call or expecting a call-back to that number within a short time. I have a DSLR to take pictures and a desktop or laptop for web access. I don't play games (except for Wordle) on the web, either.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post