SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Charlie Pride dead at 86
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charlie Pride dead at 86 Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear this. My wife and I went to 2 of his concerts in Spokane and would have gone to a third if it hadn't been sold out. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Charlie.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I ended up playing golf with Charley three or four times at Brookhaven Country Club in Dallas (where I belong), and I’ll never forget one particular day. This had to be over 25 years ago.

I’d joined Charley and two other players, and they were in a “game” where the cash kitty grew as players made birdies and got the low score on each hole. When there was a tie for low score, the kitty carried over to the next hole. After a few tied holes, the kitty grew quite a bit. And if only one of the players had the highest score on a hole and only one player had the lowest score, the player with the worst score had to pay the one with the best score.

We’d had several “tied” holes when got to the 14th, and my drive there went behind a tree. I could hit it forward, but only about 70 yards, which left me 98 yards to the hole. Charley and the other two guys were already on the green in two strokes, but had long birdie putts.

I hit a pitching wedge, the ball landed about 15 short of the hole, and rolled right in for a birdie. The loudest baritone “GOD-DAMMIT!!!” I’ve ever heard echoed through the entire neighborhood. When I got up to the green, there was Charley grinning. He said, “Hell of a shot, man.” And since he was the only one who three-putted and ended up with a bogey, he had to pay me.

Sixty-six dollars.

For years, every time he saw me at the club he’d grin, shake my hand, and say, “I ain’t playin’ you today, rich man.” Extraordinary man who wore his class—not his race—on his sleeve.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlie used to perform at a few "honky-tonks" in Texas when I was there. He wanted the folks to dance while he would sing. He said it made him happy to see folk enjoying the songs. Boy, did I dance to them. RIP Charlie!!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Damn...

Big fan, and I had hoped to see him in Branson at some point.
I just looked and I have 76 of his songs in my music library and an album of his from 1969 sits on my mantle between Conway Twitty and Willie Nelson.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I regret his death, but he lived a long, full life and did what he loved. I should be so lucky.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post