SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deer Stands, Blinds,Guns,etc..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Stands, Blinds,Guns,etc.. Login/Join 
posted
Went in my stand for the first time this year and sprayed for bugs...it is about 150 yards from my house and this will be my fourth year of using it since built. I love sitting in it at about 4:00 in the morning waiting for the sun to rise.
I have used my trusty Winchester Model 70 30.06 since about 1980 and don't think I'll ever switch.

Bucks are getting more frequent

IMG_7938 (800x600)

IMG_7942 (800x600)

SUNP0060 (800x600)

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You look nicely set up. Good job on the stand. Looks great.
How much land do you have?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19219 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Nice stand!!! I also like you choice of weapons. I bought my first deer rifle while stationed at Ft. Carson back in 1960. Win. 70 featherweight in 30-06. That rifle kept my family and 2 others in meat through the winter of '60/61. Shot 9 deer with it. All but one legal. They had a special season down in SW Colorado where the limit was 6, and at least 5 had to be does. A buddy had his license and we put two deer on it.

Did some hunting in Iran with it as well and in Germany for 4 years until 1966.

Still have it. Has a Weaver 4X on it. that time in Colorado we could not afford to put a scope on it. Great rifles.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Can you hunt over those salt licks or do you have to remove them when season opens?

Get caught baiting deer here and it will cost you your license, your rifle and your truck if you drove to the hunt in one.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15256 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
You look nicely set up. Good job on the stand. Looks great.
How much land do you have?

28 acres and resident landowner so deer tags are free.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Can you hunt over those salt licks or do you have to remove them when season opens?

Get caught baiting deer here and it will cost you your license, your rifle and your truck if you drove to the hunt in one.

Salt licks are OK year round...I feed corn infrequently year round but start regular feeding in August but I stop feeding corn 14 days before the season starts and that keeps me legal.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Nice stand!!! I also like you choice of weapons. I bought my first deer rifle while stationed at Ft. Carson back in 1960. Win. 70 featherweight in 30-06. That rifle kept my family and 2 others in meat through the winter of '60/61. Shot 9 deer with it. All but one legal. They had a special season down in SW Colorado where the limit was 6, and at least 5 had to be does. A buddy had his license and we put two deer on it.

Did some hunting in Iran with it as well and in Germany for 4 years until 1966.

Still have it. Has a Weaver 4X on it. that time in Colorado we could not afford to put a scope on it. Great rifles.

My Winchester was a Christmas gift from my employer in 1980 and that brings up a funny/back in the day story.

The construction company I was with usually had a big meeting and then Christmas party every year. I got the Winchester at the meeting (no box)and then the next morning I flew from Nebraska to St. Louis in the 4 seat company plane and I was gonna catch a commercial flight back to South Carolina. I walked right in the St. Louis main terminal holding that Winchester and not a person said anything about it other than a couple of comments about me going hunting or nice gun. I checked it in at the counter and bought a hard case for $25.00 right at the ticket counter...still have that same hard case today....back in the day (1980) and I swear this is a true story.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
So more deer shooting than deer hunting. Big Grin

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
So more deer shooting than deer hunting. Big Grin

We have plenty of deer on our property and I could limit out and not have to leave the porch so yes it can be easy hunting.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I can't recall seeing a nicer situation than what you've created there. Enjoy it ! And yea, the 06 rocks for anything that doesn't require specialization. Are you doing lung shots with soft bullets, or breaking shoulders, or taking any ethical shot ? And what ammo are you using specifically ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
quote:

Salt licks are OK year round...I feed corn infrequently year round but start regular feeding in August but I stop feeding corn 14 days before the season starts and that keeps me legal.

I take it you are not in a Chronic Wasting Disease county. You can't use feed or salt licks in some 1/3 of Missouri's counties now.

Cricks work great, I have a set up somewhat similar overlooking a crick with a choke point. Its about a 30 yrd wide wildlife highway.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
plenty of deer until the opening morning. They have each other on speed dial to send out a reminder when the season opens. They know the hunting sessions as well as you n I. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I remember your thread building the tree stand. Glad to see it's still providing you enjoyment.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it, we put my sons tree stand up in my woods last Sat. morn. He put his camera up also, no bucks yet but some a few doe.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I can't recall seeing a nicer situation than what you've created there. Enjoy it ! And yea, the 06 rocks for anything that doesn't require specialization. Are you doing lung shots with soft bullets, or breaking shoulders, or taking any ethical shot ? And what ammo are you using specifically ?

I've been using Remington 180gr core-lok and try for the heart shot....I have let many deer pass when I didn't have an almost perfect shot at them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
quote:

I take it you are not in a Chronic Wasting Disease county. You can't use feed or salt licks in some 1/3 of Missouri's counties now.

Cricks work great, I have a set up somewhat similar overlooking a crick with a choke point. Its about a 30 yrd wide wildlife highway.

Salt licks are still OK in my county but next one over is not.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
plenty of deer until the opening morning. They have each other on speed dial to send out a reminder when the season opens. They know the hunting sessions as well as you n I. Wink

The big bucks know that is for sure.

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My old Remington 700 ADL has collected quite a few deer over the years. It's a 30.06 and I shoot 150 grain Remington Corelocks, but the past couple of years I've been shooting the Winchester Deer Season polymer tips with great success.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Excellent setup, Summers!

quote:
I've been using Remington 180gr core-lok

My Browning is also a 30.06 but it seems to be a bit more accurate with the Remington 165gr core-lok than the 180gr.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24151 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
150 yard walk from the house to the hunting grounds is awesome.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post