SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thumb Injury - Heads up - Graphic Images - Update No Surgery !!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thumb Injury - Heads up - Graphic Images - Update No Surgery !! Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
As a life long woodworker and currently a woodturner we should never take the use of our tools for granted, I did and I paid a healthy and painful 'stupid tax' today.

I drilled a series of holes in a piece of wood with my floor model drill press. However I decided they needed to be deeper. I positioned the wood directly under the bit, got a good grip (1st issue: no clamps), 2nd issue: my hand was far to close to the spinning bit.

As you would expect the bit caught on the lip of the first hole, and kicked the wood out, drawing my thumb directly into the spinning bit. The thumb is now split completely in half, additionally I have an open fracture and may loose the tip of my thumb.
The stitches in the second image are loose on purpose so the hand surgeon can remove them for his evaluation.

The most painful part was the pain medication injected directly into the open tissue.

Lesson: Take extreme care when using any power tool, remove any rings or bracelets and use clamps were required. And above all take your time before turning on the power switch.

-----------------------

Met with the hand surgeon today and no surgery!! I will be wearing a split for a while until the bone mends. Still dealing with the cut and keeping if from becoming infected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig229-SAS,

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Now that's an injury I feel like you just gotta moan out a bit before you can do much. Ouch, man.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Y9j3heYZAk8

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good God, I am so sorry for your injury! I hope it heals with minimal disablement.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5164 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Glad your okay but jesus that looks bad.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Ouch! That smarts.

Funny thing is, I've done the same thing (knowing better) so many times I can't count 'em. Just lucky I guess.

The one that I'm REALLY concerned about is my miter saw. We used to have a surgeon around these parts who cut his fingers off with his miter saw. He gave up medicine, became a lawyer, and ultimately committed suicide. Sad deal as the guy was brilliant.

Ever since then, I quadruple check to make sure that my fingers are nowhere near the blade before I pull the button. And, whenever I sense myself getting into a hurry or getting complacent, I stop and walk away for awhile.

Best of luck, and I hope you heal up well.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
OUCH!! Eek I've come so close to doing something similar with my drill press. Would a drill press vice have minimized the risk? I use my vice always but it might give me a false sense of security. I drill mostly metal.

This is a good reminder you can't be to safe. I wear my ear protection and eye protection much more now a days than ever before.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
God, I hope I never do that. I feel for you.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
BTDT. The right index finger into a table saw, so I know how much that sucks. Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

I hope you mend up well.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ow!

I've had a few power tool injuries over the years, but not quite to that extent. Lost a lot of meat on my pointer finger to a table saw once.

One of the smarter things I've done lately is put a X-Y table on my drill press with T-slots.

I can either clamp directly to the table or bolt a vice to the table and clamp the work with that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Dang, very sorry to see that. Sure hope the surgeon gives you some good news (or at least less bad news) when he examines it.

I'd also offer it is a very bad idea to try and knock an off cut piece away from the spinning blade on your table saw with your thumb. Yeah, I did that, shortly followed by a trip to the ER for stitches. Let your guard down or lose focus for even a second and bad things can happen really fast.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lesson: Take extreme care when using any power tool

Ouch!!!
OK, you warned us, but did those photos have to be 20 times life size!

Your warning well advised... I own a table saw that has cut multiple fingers off two people. My dad and an employee. Both were life long carpenters with decades of experience.

But not just power tools. My worst injury was from a utility knife when a work piece slipped. Deep cut at base of thumb with permanent nerve damage.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Jeez-o-Pete, that’s grusome! Sorry that happened to you.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My similar experience was not so graphic. I was trying to take 1/8 inch off a 2 inch piece of trim using a table saw. I still have 10 fingers, although three have significant scar tissue, and 9 fingernails. My son showed up from his work just minutes after it happened, and he worked in a commercial furniture shop and had seen much worse. He had brought a pizza home for the family. He laid the pizza on the counter, wrote a note to his mother "Took Dad to the emergency room. Have some pizza" and calmly bandaged my fingers and drove me to the clinic. His head is screwed on much straighter than mine.
I hope at least one person reads these posts and listens, Don't try to do a quick one "just one time.". Secure your work pieces, use a push stick, no loose clothing, eye/ear/dust protection. BTW I still can't pick up change off a flat surface with my injured fingers, they are still numb at the fingertips and this happened 14 years ago in November.

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Owwwwwwwwwwwwww,

I am not afraid of many things, but I am like a scared teenage girl when I get around a table saw...

Hope you get good news from the surgeon.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness. That is horrible. So sorry that happened to you. Praying for good news from the hand surgeon and a quick recovery.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Yikes.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
[shudder] Jeepers, man!! Eek

Having lost a relatively minor battle with a chop saw a couple of years ago, I recognize the danger in your warning.

I'm glad you were able to get it stitched up quickly, and I wish you quick healing.

I'll also thank you for posting the pictures. I keep cautioning one of my young colleagues when he's using power tools: "I don't want to be the one to have to call your mom and tell her you've had an accident." He's aware, and learning quickly, but I intend to show him your photos as a reminder.

God bless America.

Posts: 13507 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
WTF, guy. Hopefully everything will attach to where they use to attach as before. Man...

Heal fast. I bet that's hurting quite a bit.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Even being careful these things can happen to those who use power tools. I use those tools occasionally and the possibility of injury is a constant companion. Sorry you had this happen. Isn't modern medicine a miracle though?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post