SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with sink bug infestation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with sink bug infestation? Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted
We have some kind of tiny gray bugs living in the drain/overflow drain of the master bathroom sink. Some of them come out into the sink basin. We have had an exterminator come twice and spray stuff down the drain and overflow. The bugs are still an issue.

Any ideas on what I can put down the sink to kill them so they don't come back? Ideally something not super harmful to people, given it's a bathroom sink?

Thanks!

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Boiling water. Followed by more boiling water.

Only harmful if you spill it on yourself.

Also bleach.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17462 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

That's what I was thinking, but dry ice could be fun too.
I'm not sure of the effect on sealants for either of these. I'm no plumber.

Posts: 7366 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Also bleach.

I forgot to mention, I actually tried bleach before we called the exterminator.

Boiling water sounds like it's worth a try. Thanks.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
If you mix ammonia with the bleach, you won't have to worry about any bugs ever again.

Of course, you'll be dead.

Really dead.

Dead, dead.

Dead.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17462 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Had those last year in our kitchen sink...ours were a bit like fruit flies. Out out some apple cider vinegar traps.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use baking soda and white vinegar periodically to clean drains. It bubbles and foams and creates useful havoc. Followed with hot (or boiling water), done two or three times in succession, it might help as well. I try to get the baking soda as deep into the system as possible after the first dose (i.e., put some baking soda in and add a little water to carry it further downstream before adding vinegar).

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Careful there! Don't use boiling water if you have one of those fake marble dust sinks. It will damage them, craze the surface. Also the shock might crack a porcelain one.

Can you provide a good photo of the pest...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drain flies. Look them up.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 95 | Location: Southeast Michigan -- Downriver | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Had those last year in our kitchen sink...ours were a bit like fruit flies. [Put] out some apple cider vinegar traps.

This ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I was hoping you had a stink bug solution.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I will support the vinegar/baking soda suggestion. One advantage is cost. Even a big box and bottle should be less than $4.00. Be sure to get the overflow hole as well as the main drain.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post