SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driving Daughter from Georgia to NH for Internship
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving Daughter from Georgia to NH for Internship Login/Join 
Picture of Beanhead
posted
I will be helping my daughter drive to New Hampshire for her summer internship. Plan is to stop in Virginia to see her friend and have supper there.

Any advice regarding driving up through the Northeast would be appreciated. We will not have firearms with us as she will return to Wisconsin after internship and traveling through Canada. I know...I know. She figured she won't probably drive through there again anytime soon. Wants to check out some of the national parks there. I will be flying back to Georgia after.

Looking for anything advice such as tollway(I still have my IPASS and that is suppose to work), driving through New York, or Boston, etc. What's the best time to drive through some of those areas? What area to stay the heck away from.

We will probably stop here and there on the trip. We have done DC and Philly so we probably won't stop there. She would like to stop and visit a few things in NYC but I am concern with parking in Long Island. Any great stop off Interstate 85 or 95 would be fine.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My only advice would be to avoid I95 at all costs and take 81 up to 88 or 90 and then over.

Posts: 20120 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
How long of a stop in NYC/what does she want to see there? Depending on where you intend to go in NYC, you might be best served to park in Hoboken, NJ and take the ferry over to Manhattan. If you choose to park in NYC, I prefer to park at 34th St and 9th Ave. You can walk or Taxi around once there. Again, it all depends on what she wants to see in NYC. Regardless, you won't need to go anywhere near Long Island, especially for parking.

Traveling from the NY/NJ Metro area, I prefer to take the Merritt Parkway in CT (avoiding I95), to I91 N, to I84 E at Hartford, and then I90 E/Mass Pike. Traffic going north out of NYC sucks anytime after 3:00/3:30 PM until 6:30 PM, so plan accordingly. There is also rush hour around Hartford, CT to consider, as well as around Worcester, MA, and everywhere east of there in MA as well.

Where in NH roughly are you headed as this can determine how best to travel through MA into NH. Your IPASS will work in MA and NH, and I assume anywhere around NYC as well.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8922 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
My only advice would be to avoid I95 at all costs and take 81 up to 88 or 90 and then over.

100% do not go through Philly and NY on I-95 unless you relish crazy drivers and misery.

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
EZPass will get you through MA and NH, and it looks like IPass is compatible with it so you should be good in that regard. To avoid most traffic you'd want to go through MA/NH in the middle of the day. Between 10am and 2pm to avoid the majority of the rush hour. Otherwise early/late evening is fine too.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

100% do not go through Philly and NY on I-95 unless you relish crazy drivers and misery.

Not that the OP asked about this scenario but I was just curious.

I driving through Philly and NY on 95 better overnight?

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Driving at night is THE Best Option trafficwise...Unless there's construction! Wink

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8922 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'd take the long way up and avoid going up or even near the I-95 corridor here in the Northeast.

Come up through PA through the Delaware Water Gap and into NY state via Port Jervis then head north from there, it's a longer but more scenic and less crazy/stressful drive.

Your IPASS appears to be compatible with E-ZPass here in PA BTW

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
If possible, hit the Washington DC area at about 11 p.m. after dinner, then roll up I-95 in the early morning hours. You'll get through NYC somewhere between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. I would think. I guess it really depends on the construction. Once through NYC, jump up to the Merrit and Wilbur Cross Parkways to I-91 and into Hartford, then up.

I've done the above, and it works.

You can also head north on I-83 out of Baltimore, up to I-76 East around York through Reading on 222 and up to Allentown and through there up to the Newburg, NY area and take I-84 to the Mass Pike (through Hartford). Less stress that way.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You didn't specify where in Georgia you'd be leaving or where in New Hampshire you'd be going. Or where in Wisconsin she'd be going later. I have used Streets & Trips to plot a route from Atlanta, GA to Manchester, NH and then on to Madison, WI going through Canada. Since you didn't indicate an interest in seeing the eastern coast (DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC) I deliberately plotted a route farther in from the coast.

I included Montreal, Quebec and Toronto, Ontario as major cities on the route through Canada (because I've enjoyed visiting those places) and something called the African Lion Safari near Hamilton, Ontario--a place I happened across on my trip across there in 2011, and quite interesting. I also avoided the need to go tyhrough Chicago, Illinois on the way to Wisconsin by routing through Michigan (the bridge at Sarnia, ON-Port Huron, MI is quite a sight) and then across Lake Michigan on one of the ferries (I chose the one between Ludington, MI and Manitowoc, WI, SS Badger, but there is another one farther south. I've ridden the Badger twice and it's a lovely ride.

This is what the route looks like:
GA to NH to WI by David Casteel, on Flickr

It takes I-85 to Charlotte, NC; I-77 north to I-81; I-81 to I-88 (at Johnson City, NY); I-88 to I-90 southwest of Schenectady, NY; I-90 to I-87; north on I-87 to NY-7; NY-7/VT-279 to Vt-67A to VT-9 t Bennington, VT (interesting town); VT-9 to northbound I-91 at Brattleboro, VT; a few miles to NH-9; NH-9/31/US-202 to I-89; I-89 easto to I-93; I-93 north to Concord, NH.

The trip from Concord, NH backtracks to I-89 and follows it northwest all the way into Quebec, Canada. I won't detail the route from that point here.

I'll be happy to modify it for you if you give me some ideas.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
As nhracecraft said, take the Merritt Parkway (CT15). The little bit you go through in Hartford is still way better than going 95. It also skirts around Boston.

If you want to visit NYC, find an ICON Parking garage and prepay through the website. It's almost valet, you pull in, and they take over. They have numerous locations, find one convenient to the location you want to visit. I use them any time I visit the city (few time a year).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I95 should be banned!

quote:

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Where in New Hampshire?
You want to avoid all the congestion around DC, Baltimore, New Jersey and especially the George Washington bridge.
Rt77 to 81 bypasses all of the Baltimore/New Jersey/NYC traffic.
Cross at Tappen Zee continue east to Hutchison parkway which becomes the Merrit parkway. Need end destination in New Hampshire to determine either 91 North or 84 East.
I have directions from Myrtle Beach area including rest stops/gas stations if you want them.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
NYC and Long Island are 2 separate areas of New York State.
Georgia to NY is about 13+ hours. Are you planning on doing an overnite?

Canadian crossing will need passport or enhanced driver’s license.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Merrimack, NH is where her internship is. We are leaving from south of Atlanta.

Thanks for the feedbacks. Keep them coming. I will have to plan a few alternative routes.

Anyone know what is legal in Canada? Pepper sprays? Or knives…folding pocket knife?

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly what Gustofer says, or try to be in Richmond at 2am and head north on I-95, that corridor is the worst in the states, LA is gold compared to it.

Posts: 3574 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
Merrimack, NH is where her internship is. We are leaving from south of Atlanta.

Thanks for the feedbacks. Keep them coming. I will have to plan a few alternative routes.

Anyone know what is legal in Canada? Pepper sprays? Or knives…folding pocket knife?
Merrimack County, or Merrimack in Hillsborough County?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Best Route from NY/NJ Metro area to Merrimack, NH:
  • Hutchinson River Pkwy/Merritt Parkway N (Same road, in NY vs CT)
  • I-91 N
  • I-84 E @ Hartford, CT
  • I-90 E
  • I-290 E @ Worcester/Auburn, MA
  • I-495 E
  • US-3 N @ Lowell, MA and then North towards NH

- If you're headed out of NYC you should take take the West Side Highway N (NY-9A)/Henry Hudson Pkwy N, then continue North onto the Saw Mill Pkwy, to Exit 4 - Cross County Parkway to the Hutch. Depart NYC well before 3:00 PM (2:00 is Better!)...Traffic!
- If you bypass NYC/thru NJ take I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge (It's the Mario Cuomo Bridge now, but I'm NOT calling it that!), and continue on to the Hutch. Be on the Hutch before 3:30 PM (3:00 is Better!)...Traffic!

I presume her internship is at Fidelity in Merrimack, NH. I live in Merrimack County, just 15 minutes due north of Merrimack, NH...If she ever needs anything, runs into difficulty, car trouble, just let me know.

I've made this trip over 300 times (down and back for business/visiting family) since I moved from NJ to NH in '97. It is THE Best Way to go...Shortest distance and least amount of traffic. Email in Profile if you want to reach out Wink

Live Free or Die!

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
quote:

Exactly what Gustofer says, or try to be in Richmond at 2am and head north on I-95, that corridor is the worst in the states, LA is gold compared to it.

This! x1000!

The Richmond/DC corridor along I-95 (pretty much the whole thing) can, and does, turn into a parking lot at the wrong times of day. Especially northbound. Avoid at all costs during daylight hours and especially afternoon through at least 10pm.

Can’t remember the last time I had to take it during that window without spending at least 45+ minutes in stop and go traffic.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Plan to go on a Tuesday or Thursday. Weekends on I-95 are nuts as people flow into and out of the beaches. I assume a Tuesday or Thursday is as slow as it gets. I've heard some rentals do 1/2 weeks, so I assume Wednesdays may have a bump in traffic.

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post