SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting material – “tagua nut”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting material – “tagua nut” Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
The end of this pipe shank is “tagua nut”. I’ve never seen anything like it – black dots on cream in all directions:

www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new...fm?product_id=326501

A couple of more tagua nut links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offe...BX6WTDH9BJWFASG9DMSG

https://www.wood-database.com/tagua-nut/

Even better:
www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new...fm?product_id=326499

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting information on the tagua nut in the bottom link provided, but I had no idea that tobacco pipes could be so pricey.

There's a Lobnik pipe for sale on that web-site for $1,600.00! Wow!!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I've brought back a few items from South America made from tagua nut. It's often call jungle ivory. It really is interesting material.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Interesting information on the tagua nut in the bottom link provided, but I had no idea that tobacco pipes could be so pricey.

Shocks me too!

Quite an expensive pipe.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of pipes (too many), including a couple of pricey Dunhills. But there are many moderately priced pipes that smoke just as nicely as the supper expensive pipes.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have a set of dominoes that my dad bought somewhere in the 50s or 60s that are ebony faced with what he called "vegetable ivory," which I have read is another name for tagua nut.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:

Check out Jess Chonowitsch's pipes. I have none approaching those prices.

That material is cool. It looks nice as an accent.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post