SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    <$1,000 bikes....who would you go with?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

<$1,000 bikes....who would you go with? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I'm looking at getting a new hybrid/fitness/dual sport/whatever bike to go with the RV. It'll be used on rail trails (generally flattish, hard pack surfaces, some mud and loose gravel), dirt roads, asphalt. No crazy downhills or single track (at high speeds anyway). My last bike was a Cannondale Quick 4, which I found a little stiff. I gather at this price point, most bikes are going to be similar.

Question:
With that said, which manufacturer would you go to first?

Choices:
Trek
Cannondale
Specialized
Giant

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16174 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I have a Specialized Sirrus Elite that I’m a big fan of. Also, previously had a Trek FX model bike. Prefer the Specialized but for my uses, either one would serve me well. At the time I bought my bike, I think the Specialized was a better value for the money. This was back in 2016 so things may have changed.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
No “other” vote...

I’m thinking about getting back into riding again, this caught my eye. Fuji Nevada 1.9. It has what I’m looking for: front suspension, available 29” wheels, disc brakes. It’s gotten good reviews from what I have read. Price is awesome, but you do have to put it together.

https://www.nashbar.com/fuji-b...819/p977079?v=945037

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
In researching road bikes I found a manufacturer with very competitive prices, and they build off-road bikes too. Tommaso bikes. They claim they sell online only, net.scuttlebutt seems to be pretty positive.

Posts: 6393 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Cannondale gets my vote, but much like a 'what gun should I buy' it's pretty user specific.
I'd say find a larger LBS & test them each to see what fits you best.

I remember a guy I rode with set up extended test rides of a few ($6k+ range bikes). He'd had a Cannondale before, but said the SuperSix EVO was like riding a concrete truck with how stiff it was. He ended up with a Cervelo IIRC.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15143 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted Canondale. Take a look at the Topstone Sora gravel bike.

Posts: 1052 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I would vote Specialized only because that's where I have first hand experience. That being said, I have a Trek as well for which the frame is better (lighter, cleaner welds, etc) than the Specialized but I don't like the parts.

I would look at frame for each vendor but a bigger influence may be what parts they use. I prefer Shimano parts (especially mid/upper level) and would lean toward that. I don't care much for the SRAM stuff. YMMV.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive got twin trek and one Specialized hybrids. Both are great. For $600-800, you should be able to purchase a great hybrid

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Long time Canondale guy but when I wanted a new ride I was drawn to the Giant Anyroad. Bigger bang for the buck component wise in an an aluminum frame bike.

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I love my specialized mountain bike, my only complaint is if you really get on it you skip a toothy on the sprocket sometimes. Probably more a symptom of being in too low of gear,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20749 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have a trek DS2 and a Giant carbon road bike. Either one are great brands. Trek DS2 seems great for your purpose or the Giant Roam.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Digging through the specs/prices, I'm coming up with this....

Trek Dual Sport 3: $800 + tax - highest level of components, using Shimano Alivio and Acera. Not sure about the SR Suntour NEX HLO shock. Considering the riding I want to do, not sure this is even an issue.

Fezzari Lone Peak: $660 delivered - as noted elsewhere, pure mid-level, Shimano Altus everywhere. The SR Suntour XCT shock seems to be universally degraded, but again, may not even matter.

Specialized Pitch Comp: $725 + tax - mix of Shimano Altus and Acera stuff with a SunRace cassette. SR Suntour XCM fork which is better regarded than the XCT.

Giant Roam 2 Disk: $645 + tax - All Shimano Acera/Altus stuff, NEX fork. Oddly enough, favorite bike of the LDS missionaries. LOL

I can't find a Cannondale that really speaks to me. I'm hopefully going to see some Trek and Specialized bikes tomorrow. Money being no object, I think I'd just get the Trek, the Specialized is not all that appealing to me. I think I've talked myself out of the Lone Peak. The Giant looks like the best mix of price and parts, though I'm not a big fan of how they put a cover over the cables. Looks kinda jakey. No local dealers carry them either.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16174 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allen, at these price points, I would go to a local bike shop with cash in hand and pull the trigger. You've got lots of options across many brands that will suite you just fine.

BTW, I was in Huntington and Barbourville, WV earlier this week. Then we headed into Kentucky (Prestonburg, Martin, Hyden, Corbin, Slade). Beautiful area.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
All of those choices would be great. I have the DS2 and it is great. I have heard amazing things about the roam as well. See what your local bike shop sells and go with that. They will do free tune ups in the first year if you buy with them. Also may be a prior year version on clearance.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Probably not critical but may want to consider 29" as second order influence.

It may just be my imagination but while I enjoy my standard size bike, I think my 29" bike makes it a little easier to smooth out bumpy trails and also makes it easier to go up hill on loose trails (in terms of traction, not necessarily effort).

But it's not as agile as my standard bike.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I had a Trek FX 7.6, and really liked it. I later bought a 7.9, which is the carbon framed version of the same bike, with upgraded components. I really like it also!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Poke around on this site. Its all used but some really great deals.

theproscloset.com

Posts: 7505 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Very easy! None of the above.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/

Editing my post as I re-read your first post.

More specifically this one.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/pro.../elite_adventure.htm

A box will arrive via ups, you can do some basic assemble or get it assembled at your LBS for fairly cheap.

Oh and look to spend at least $150 on a helmet!

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu...-helmet-ratings.html

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
I have really enjoyed my Giant Roam 2 for the past 5 years. You get a lot of bike for the price.

Posts: 1305 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have given Giant ~$15k in the last 3 months...

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post