SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mary the Mother of Washington and Brigadier-General Hugh Mercer monuments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mary the Mother of Washington and Brigadier-General Hugh Mercer monuments Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Earlier this week I was in Fredericksburg, VA for work. As I was driving around I noticed a large obelisk from a distance. Thinking it was a civil war monument I was surprised when I walked up and saw this sign:

I'd be lying if I said I knew a lot about Mary Washington, I didn't. Within the last year I listened to an audio book about the life of her son, which mentioned her quite often. She was a constant presence in her famous sons life and she was quite a famous in her own right in her day. She was quote opinionated and some sources say she remained a loyalist sympathizer to the crown to her dying day. She lived to the ripe old age of 80 or 81. Needless to say she's an interesting woman and an important part of our countries history.

Across from where Mary Washington rests there is a statue of a dashing solider, sword brandished, gazing down the street.

This is a monument to Brigadier-General Hugh Mercer. We've all heard of George Washington, Henry Knox, Benedict Arnold, or the Marquis de Lafayette. But what about Hugh? Born in Scotland, this man studied medicine, fought in the Jacobite army, battled the French and Indians in the Seven-Years war, befriended a guy named George and became a Brigadier-General in the Continental Army. Against the British he fought in numerous engagements (some say it was his idea to cross a river and surprise some Hessians at Trenton), finally being mortally wounded in Princeton, New Jersey.

He died leading 350 men against two British regiments and mounted troops. After having his horse shot from underneath him, he fought dismounted, saber in hand. Outnumbered he was beaten with musket butts and bayoneted repeatedly and left for dead. Supposedly he was mistaken as being General George Washington himself, thus why he was so brutally handled after refusing to surrender. Legend says he was found with a bayonet still impaling him, but refused to leave the field of battle or his men. He was set under an oak tree to rest. He died from his wound nine days later.

He deserves to be recognized and remembered.

Across lawn is a small stone structure with a plaque honoring George Rogers Clark. This man was a Virginia native who explored what was considered the Northwest of our country at the time, Kentucky and Indiana. He was an Indian fighter and a Revolutionary War hero. He fought the British and their Indian allies, essentially besting them at every engagement. He was appointed a Brigadier-General by Thomas Jefferson himself, then Governor of Virginia. Unfortunately General Clark died heavily indebted, suffered from alcoholism and numerous strokes. Historians say his victories in the Northwest territory with his meager resources tied down important British manpower and resources and was instrumental in the British ceding the Northwest territory per the Treaty of Paris, essentially doubling the size of the original 13 colonies.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Remarkable woman for sure. Her son Charles founded Charles Town WV. Her grandson Bushrod was a Supreme Court Justice and good friend of John Marshall.

Just across the river is Ferry Farm which was Mary Washington's property. The obelisk is on what used to be her daughter's property.

There is also a Confederate cemetery just south of where that monument is.

Looking through a few of the associated Wiki pages, it seems that my paternal grandfathers family is very Washington family adjacent. Very fun to speculate how/when the families branched and how some families prospered while others ended up penniless.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for this presentation of history I knew little about.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Hugh Mercer was a BAMF but sadly doesn't seem to be known by many. Guy took on dozens of Redcoats with just his saber and fought until he couldn't any more.

General George Patton is a notable descendant of Mercer!

Mercersburg, Pennsylvania was named after him and was the birthplace of PA's only President; James Buchanan.

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow thanks for posting
I never knew about either one of those
I worked in Spotsylvania for three years and had to go to the Hospital there numerous times but I never saw any of these monuments/markers.

Fascinating people/lives and history

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting

This is real history and should never be cancelled.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
To me that is one of the great things about living in the Commonwealth is the history.

When you get some time explore around Hanover county. Scotchtown which was a home of Patrick Henry is an interesting place, not to mention the old Hanover Courthouse (still in operation) where Henry argued the Parsons Cause Case.

There is a group called the Parsons Cause foundation http://www.parsonscause.org/ does some reenactments and other history related shows at the old courthouse on Saturdays during the summer.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6488 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with 95flhr 100%.

Wow, the last few weeks I have learned so much from members the members on this site. I am grateful that they are gracious enough to take pictures and post what they learned.

The Commonwealth has such a rich and varied history, there is something for everyone ranging from the days of the Native Americans to the Present day.

That is one of the reasons I stayed in VA for so long. (In fact way too long when I could not find work and was going broke.) This is also one of the reasons I want to return to some part of Virginia.

Another great place is The Hanover Tavern. It is one of the oldest taverns in the United States. Plus the courthouse across the street is the third oldest still in use in the United States. The tavern used to have dinner/theater and it was a big hit. Now this was pre-covid.

Also in Fredericksburg is a trail that follows the historic Sunken Road and passes through Marye’s Heights, finishing at the Fredericksburg National Cemetery. Sunken Road is a prominent site of the Battle of Fredericksburg, and one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. The wall protected Southern soldiers fortunate to stand behind it. Behind the wall, only around 300 Confederate soldiers were shot. By contrast in front of the wall, approximately 8,000 Union soldiers were hit

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Mercersburg, Pennsylvania was named after him

As was Mercer County, NJ.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post