SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    app for library access
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

app for library access Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
I have an iPad2 that I would like to give my mother to use to read, the Kindle app is installed, however the library has several options (Update she does have a card to the library, the following are the listed programs on their web page)

Axis360
Freading
Goodreads
Hoopla
Novelist
Overdrive/Libby
RBDigital

Are any of these better than the other, do you need combinations of these to get to a better source of material.

Thanks

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
She will first need a library card, the app, at least with my library is Overdrive Media Console which I downloaded direct from my library. It works quite well. Simply select the book she wants, if it is available, download it and transfer it to the iPad. They normally have to 'returned' within 7 to 14 days, return meaning it won't play after the time has expired. For books that are not available she can select to be on the wait list. When it comes up she will get an email to download it.

In my case I use audio books and use my headphones.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Overdrive/Libby. I enjoy it, it's pretty intuitive, and I have never had any issues with it. Set up your library card once and you don't have to "log in" again.

Can't speak to any of the other ones.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I use Hoopla and it works great with my county library. May borrow up to five titles a month including audio books and videos.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My library provides access to audiobooks on Hoopla and ebooks on Overdrive/Libby.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I use Libby in CT . The app is easy and works.

The problem is I'm always stuck waiting for the book to come available.

I got frustrated and went with kindle unlimited and no more stress waiting for library to purchase more digital licenses to loan out.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I originally used my local library with an iPad and the Overdrive junk. Books were in ePub format. My advice, get a Kindle. You don't need proprietary software to read books, and you just go to your library's e-site and download them as Kindle books. One thing I discovered after the switch is there is a much bigger selection available as Kindle books than as ePub books. Plus, you can read a Kindle outside in the sunlight (or outside in general) where the iPad fails miserably.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post