SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ozone Generators whats the deal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ozone Generators whats the deal Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Noticed some on sale on Woot, thinking one would be good for the garage, have a big tv out there and usually have a cigar or two when watching games or working on bike, truck, golf cart.

If friends come over we can fill the place with a fog that rivals the likes of San Francisco Bay.

Wonder if they really work, could turn the thing on in the evening to clear the room of the smoke odor....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
As something to run when you’re away, they can be pretty effective for smoke odor. I ran one for days at a lake house where the previous occupant smoked for decades. Just make sure you let the space air out before you go back in as the ozone can be bad for your lungs.

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found them quite effective for odors but they are not without risk. If you turn one on in a closed room and let it run for hours , when you return there will probably be enough ozone in the room to give you a coughing fit, if you don't let it air out for an hour or so. It irritates the lungs.
What I do , is to put our ozone generator on a timer and it runs for a couple of hours every night between 12 and 2 am. BUT....we always keep our bedroom door shut so we are not exposed to it.... By morning , the rest of the house is clear of ozone.

EDIT : I just went to Woot and found the ozone generators. WOW ! They produce MUCH MORE ozone than mine does. They produce 10,000 mg/hr , while mine makes 800mg.hr. I would definitely treat these with respect ! JMO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mike28w,

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
They are great for tobacco smoke, mold smell, etc..
They will also corrode cabinet hardware, plumbing fixtures and other metal. I’ve been told they will also ruin rubber hose, such as on engines.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
We had a terrible contractor that screwed a bunch of stuff up and smoked in our house. A lunchbox-sized ozone generator run on a timer while we were out of the house got rid of the cigarette smell after only a couple of uses.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Is there a concentration of Ozone and time needed to get rid of smoke smells, to kill mold, and other things.

I just looked up some of these and they all promise this and that. Didn't see anything on room/house size versa the size of the ozone generator.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Ozone (O3) is much more active than just pure oxygen (O2)--it will definitely corrode metal and damage many organic substances. Very bad for your lungs, too. I think the CPAP machine cleaners use ozone.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last used car I bought smelled like an ashtray after the dealer sprayed air freshen wore off. I purchased one from Amazon for like $60 or $70. Two treatments later the smoke smell was gone.
You're going to want to let that stuff dissipate before you enter the room though, it's pretty nasty on the lungs.

Posts: 98 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: April 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post