SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Older Chevy oil drain plug gasket....nylon or copper
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Chevy oil drain plug gasket....nylon or copper Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,

I'll be changing the oil in my 1959 Impala (283).

It's been a while, but it appears that a nylon washer is stock. I see in my parts I used Dorman 097-117 which in nylon rib (for the drain pan's pleasure? Wink ).

The pan is stamped steel and the drain plug is 1/2."

Any harm going to copper or aluminum? I used aluminum on my Honda and Porsche and crushed copper on our Nissan.

Thoughts.

P229

Posts: 3832 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Copper would be my first choice.

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I prefer solid copper and anneal it each time I change the oil.

Use some of the oil and use a peice of wire to make a hook, heat the washer cherry red, dip in oil to quench.

That way it is malleable, will seal when properly torqued and can be used fir years.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43901 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've reused washers for years . Clean the surfaces and snug it down properly . Never a leak .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If the sealing surface is not distorted (repeated tightening and over-tightening tends to make it bulge out), copper is fine. The nylon ones, or the kind with a metal outer ring and rubber inner ring, are better for a less than perfect surface.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use copper on my old chevys.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If the sealing surface is not distorted, copper is fine. The nylon ones, or the kind with a metal outer ring and rubber inner ring, are better for a less than perfect surface.

The rubber/aluminum combination is my gasket of choice. GM P/N 14090908.

(I’m pretty impressed with myself. Been out of GM parts almost seven years and I still remember part numbers, second time today. First time was the front bearing retainer for a Muncie passenger car four speed, question came up in a FB discussion forum.)

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8110 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If the sealing surface is not distorted, copper is fine. The nylon ones, or the kind with a metal outer ring and rubber inner ring, are better for a less than perfect surface.

The rubber/aluminum combination is my gasket of choice. GM P/N 14090908.

(I’m pretty impressed with myself. Been out of GM parts almost seven years and I still remember part numbers, second time today. First time was the front bearing retainer for a Muncie passenger car four speed, question came up in a FB discussion forum.)
That would be my choice. You can probably get a dozen of them for a couple of bucks. Use a new one every oil change.

I had a '66 Impala with a 283. Great engine, great car. I don't remember it having an oil pan drain plug gasket at all. I do remember it had a permanent oil filter housing with a replaceable element. When Woolworth's went out of business they had them for $1 apiece. I think I bought ten.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2088 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
AC oil filter PF-141 for Chevrolets. Also “official” last year of usage was 1967 but some very early production 1968 cars used leftover 1967 engines so those could have canisters.

Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac together with GMC Trucks with Pontiac engines used a similar one, PF-122. Also used in some Chevrolet Medium Duty trucks through 1959;when they were equipped with the 322 CID engine, actually an engine used by Buick from 1953-56. Think it was called the Torquemaster or Fleetmaster but I’m not sure.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8110 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Torquemaster or Fleetmaster

Loadmaster. Smile (Cause "Roadmaster", seriously. A nod to Buick's engine.)

The 322 was Buicks first "Fireball V8" (nailhead), the 264 was introduced the following year, both shared the same stroke. (series 1)
The 364 was updated design, longer stroke, and 1/8" larger bore. (series 2)
The 401 and 425 were larger bore and longer stroke than the 364. (series 3)
So, some shortblock parts and the heads inter change within the first series, but intakes will not, and the , and same within the last series.
Heads will interchange for the 364, 401, 425, but the 346 intake only fits the 364.
The 401 and 425 are the same for (almost) all parts, the bore is about the only difference. (minor things like oil pans distributor curve exhaust manifolds and carbs depending on year and model application)

So, the copper washer will work on them all.

That's why I like Buicks... Big Grin

(oh, and the torque. Did I leave out torque?)

[/drift]

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43901 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Torquemaster or Fleetmaster

Loadmaster. Smile (Cause "Roadmaster", seriously. A nod to Buick's engine.)

The 322 was Buicks first "Fireball V8" (nailhead), the 264 was introduced the following year, both shared the same stroke. (series 1)
The 364 was updated design, longer stroke, and 1/8" larger bore. (series 2)
The 401 and 425 were larger bore and longer stroke than the 364. (series 3)
So, some shortblock parts and the heads inter change within the first series, but intakes will not, and the , and same within the last series.
Heads will interchange for the 364, 401, 425, but the 346 intake only fits the 364.
The 401 and 425 are the same for (almost) all parts, the bore is about the only difference. (minor things like oil pans distributor curve exhaust manifolds and carbs depending on year and model application)

So, the copper washer will work on them all.

That's why I like Buicks... Big Grin

(oh, and the torque. Did I leave out torque?)

[/drift]

Mr Monkey Sir!! Did you write the screenplay for the technical scene in My Cousin Vinnie? Sure seems like it based on the video. You a secret technical expert???? Mister Monkey Man Mobil Mehanical Master at your service. My hat is off to you Sir.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Loadmaster. (Cause "Roadmaster", seriously. A nod to Buick's engine.)

Hey, some things get forgotten, I was only in GM parts for a short time, forty seven year and two weeks to be exact!

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I use copper on steel pans and nylon on aluminum pans.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
@shovelhead.
I only know it because nailheads are one of my favorite V8's. If I played "parts poker" with you, I'd lose my ass! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:...

Mr Monkey Sir!! Did you write the screenplay for the technical scene in My Cousin Vinnie? Sure seems like it based on the video. You a secret technical expert???? Mister Monkey Man Mobil Mehanical Master at your service. My hat is off to you Sir.

Big Grin

You are not the first to accuse me of that.

And yes, I could honestly take the stand and make that same statement, verbatim, as Miss Vito and not fear perjury.

(all my monkey uncles, mechanics, machinists, mechanical engineers, of planes, trains, and automobiles, circle track and drag racing going on 4 generations)

And I know trannies.

(NOT THAT KIND! IF YER LOOKIN" FOR THAT, GO TALK TO THE PENGUIN!!!)

Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Thinking back on my '66 Impala, I just remembered it had a 2-speed automatic. But man that thing was fast!

Posts: 2088 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I've reused washers for years . Clean the surfaces and snug it down properly . Never a leak .

I don't think I've ever changed the washer. Maybe it's a Louisiana thing LOL

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
For the Toyota Tacoma, manufacturer says replace gasket every oil change. It's the aluminum / rubber type.

I probably would reuse the old one but when I was at the dealer buying something else, I asked the parts guy for some oil drain plug gaskets and he just threw 4 or 5 in the bag no charge.

posted Hide Post
sigmonkey,

Love nailheads too. Actually 430’s and 455’s too!

If I ever get off my lazy behind I’ll start on my 55 Buick on a modded 78 LeSabre frame with a 455 and TH400 again. Need fuel, cooling and wiring and it’s driveable.

posted Hide Post
As long as it don’t leak.

Posts: 93 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

I don't think I've ever changed the washer. Maybe it's a Louisiana thing LOL
I have more important things to obsess over . Big Grin

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post