New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wikipedia Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
Looks like Wikipedia is doing fundraising again. Usually I ignore their money request but then I think what’s a couple bucks to them.

I tend to refer to Wikipedia when I search for stuff.

Anyone help these guys out with contributing to their cause?

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5761 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Their censorship falls largely in pro-progressive ways. Fuck ‘em.

Posts: 9978 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I contribute $5 when they ask.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
I've noticed some bias but I use them for general information about things I come across. I certainly wouldn't use them as an accredited reference source but I appreciate their effort in general so I donate now and then. I get enough enjoyment that it's worth a couple dollars a month.

It's quite the rabbit hole for me. I was watching "Fury" a few days ago and went to wikipedia about a thought triggered by something in the movie; don't remember what. Started off in WW2 Europe and an hour (and who knows how many hyperlinks) later I was on their page about sinkholes. Couldn't retrace those steps if I had to. lol

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've generally found Wikipedia to be fairly unbiased in their editing. They're not perfect, but who is?

I usually send them a few bucks every year, about this time. I will do so, again, this year.

quote:
Originally posted by KBobAries:
I certainly wouldn't use them as an accredited reference source ...

Years ago somebody did some kind of research thing where they compared Wikipedia's content to one-or-another of the commercial encyclopedias. They found Wikipedia's content to be pretty darn good.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
History via mob rule? What could go wrong?

My childhood best friend is a college professor and won't allow students to cite Wikipedia as a source. He'll do the little presentation where he goes and edits it in front of them.

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, Wikipedia is a decent source of open-source intelligence, it's just a matter of drilling down thru the original citations and vetting them for validity and reliability.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I like Wikipedia's format and readability, a useful and thorough source and related links -- depending on the topic. It can be entertaining to check the "Talk" tab and run through the anal retention and hoops being jumped through.

Just recently, Wikipedia has been in the news over its suppression of genocide perpetrated by leftism through history. Yeah, Wiki is great for some stuff, criminally awful for other stuff. It doesn't take much to know when Wikipedia is tapdancing or throwing poop.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it regularly and always include a disclaimer when I quote it. It's good for general background information and for the citations that lead to original material. Yeah, I give them 50 bucks or so whenever I'm motivated.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
Actually, Wikipedia is a decent source of open-source intelligence, it's just a matter of drilling down thru the original citations and vetting them for validity and reliability.

I generally agree with this. I haven't found the open-source material to be any more biased than would be expected. The real value for me, though, is the references at the bottom. A Wikipedia article can be a great launching pad for serious research into a topic.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look things up there fairly often, and recently answered their appeals with $25 for the third time.

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I basically only use them to look up track listings for albums or rock band history. I do that often though. I may send a few bucks.

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Personally I gave up on them years ago when I couldn't change something. (they kept changing it back when I did) It was a local thing that sort of involved me personally, but the wrong information they had, had a linkable reference source (somewhere else online, also wrong), where as mine did not. So the wrong info held more weight than my first hand knowledge.

They're no more fact based than Snopes in my mind.

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I donate.

I get $5 worth of value from them.

Sometimes, I just need to know, generally, what someone is talking about. Great for science-y stuff.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Below is a good example of the biased misinformation you can find on Wiki. Screw them - I hope they go broke. If they can write this, how they hell can you trust anything you read there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I read it all the time just for entertainment and maybe even picking up a little knowledge. No knowledge is ever useless, even if you don't have a particular use for it.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a mixed bag for sure. I've never donated. but thought about it. I think it is biased and craptacular for political, social, and related issues (varies widely), but for history, science, geography, etc., it is a great resource to learn about an issue...at least superficially. And I'm a scientist. So I hit up wikipedia from time-to-time.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
At the beginning of the Covid Plandemic, Wikipedia locked out Judy Mikovits from editing her own Wiki page. She exposed Fauci and a number of people at the CDC. You can go to her page today and see the lock on it. They are as bad as CNN.

Go to the 20:22 mark in this video to learn more about Wiki.

https://brandnewtube.com/v/ui8bHp

If the video will not play, try another source.
https://www.bitchute.com/video/nqTTratcn73X/
This is the most censored video on the web.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4834 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Its a mixed bag for sure. I've never donated. but thought about it. I think know it is biased and craptacular for political, social, and related issues (varies widely), but for history, science, geography, etc., it is a great resource to learn about an issue...at least superficially. And I'm a scientist. So I hit up wikipedia from time-to-time.

Thank you. I fixed it a little for myself. Cool

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have contributed several times, and I am not a heavy user.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post