SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the pellet smoker guys...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the pellet smoker guys... Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
I've been using a Vision Kamado grill for the last few years now with great success but recently visited two friends each who have pellet smokers. One Recteq and the other a Treager, not that it should matter. Although the food was good, neither seemed as smoke flavored as the BGE knock-off that I use. Are pellets less potent? I know they are sold in blends, so maybe that's it? In both instances, both machines were making nice smoke for a good long time but the flavor just wasn't there. I'd like to pick up a pellet grill just for the convenience, but if the food is going to suffer, then no way! Thoughts please? Thanks.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Stick smokers tend to produce smoke the whole time regardless of temp. Pellet smokers produce less the higher the temp - more burn = less smoke.
I have a Treager (which I consider more of a wood fired convection oven) and if I want more smoke taste I add an Amaz-N smoke tube.
The thing I love is the set it, forget it convenience. Just let the ThermoPro tell me what’s going on.

The pellets do have different tastes IMO, if I want a lot of smoke flavor I use straight cherry instead of a blend with cherry in it.
The most used pellets at my house are a cherry/hickory blend.
Beef gets straight mesquite.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are saying Pellet Smokers but I think you mean Pellet Grills. They are two different things. If you use a Pellet Grill you are not going to get anywhere near the smoke flavor that a stick burner or other "Smokers" are going to produce.

For me this was a plus because my wife doesn't care for the heavy smoke on everything you cook.

If you prefer that heavy smoke flavor then definitely go for the Pellet Smoker not the Pellet Grill. In addition to that you can buy supplemental accessories that will add more smoke to any grill.

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
I add an Amaz-N smoke tube.

This. It solves the problem.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do mean pellet grills.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Most people that buy a pellet grill have the same reaction. At temps over 250 pellets burn so clean they don't make much smoke. Tubes and trays can make up for it or they can be run at a lower temp for a bit where they produce more smoke.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have a Green Mountain pellet smoker. At my usual smoking temps of 200-225, it produces plenty of smoke. It doesn't produce quite as much smoke flavor as a "real" smoker, but it's good enough, and I think the convenience is worth the flavor tradeoff. As noted, there are means to supplement the smoke with stuff like a secondary smoke tube, if so desired.

Also as mentioned, at higher temps it will put out much less smoke, but you shouldn't be smoking at higher temps anyway. Wink

And yes, the type and brand of pellets you use can have a lot to do with the smoke flavor, or lack thereof.

I've noticed many folks will go drop $500-$1000+ on a pellet smoker, and then say "Okay, now what's the cheapest pellets I can find... Ooh, these ones are on clearance at Home Depot!" Roll Eyes (Much like how a lot of folks will spend $500-$1000 on a handgun, and then be like "Okay, now what's the cheapest holster I can stuff this gun in?")

Put them together, and cheap pellet blends being burned at too-high temps makes for noticeably weak smoke flavor.

But low and slow smoking with high quality pellets makes for good results.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Rethinking this. May just go with a PID for my kamado. Thanks guys.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Pellet grills are all about convenience. I love mine. Set it, and come back to great BBQ. It's easier than ordering delivery pizza, except you end up with BBQ that's better than most places you can go buy it from. Since you already have a Kamado, convenience is really the only thing a pellet smoker will do better for you.

If you find smoke flavor lacking, a smoke tube can fix that problem right up. I don't find it's an issue for most things I smoke, although if I'm doing a brisket or butt I do like to throw it in there.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:

Kamado's Don't really need one but I'll admit to having a Flame Boss on my overnight cooks and it is very nice. Geeky to and that's an added bonus.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:

Kamado's Don't really need one but I'll admit to having a Flame Boss on my overnight cooks and it is very nice. Geeky to and that's an added bonus.

How do you like the Flame Boss? I’m looking at the Boss 400.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I love it. I put my phone on the nightstand and know it'll alert me if something goes wrong. Looking at the graphs it amazes me that it holds temp so well. I've got the 500 and don't remember seeing the 400 available when I bought mine. They seem to be the same minus the readout that the 500 has and it isn't really needed.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If I want more smoke then it's Hickory pellets, that makes a great smoke ring and taste.

Friend uses one of those pellet tubes for more smoke.

My Traeger has the P setting button, which allows me to change the delivery pause of the auger, so at low temps, 200 say, I can up the P number and create more smoke by slowing delivery of the pellets to the fire.

Not all have it traditionally it was/is a way to delay pellet timing or speed it up, depending on how the unit holds or doesn't hold temp like on cold or really hot weather. You can use it in the smoke or 200 temp or lower settings to increase smoke.

Link

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have a Kamado Joe, I've had a BGE, and I have had many pellet smokers, currently have a Yoder. I've not noticed the pellet smokers being any better or worse tasting than my Kamado Joe or my prior BGE. The pellet smoker is much easier to use and cook with.

You can always add more smoke if you desire by putting in a tube with with smoldering pellets. I've never found the need though. Amazing food comes off the pellet smoker and many are used in competition.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
If I want more smoke then it's Hickory pellets, that makes a great smoke ring and taste.

Pecan is another good pellet option, and is my pellet wood of choice.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have found that the single source pellets, ie Hickory, Pecan, Cherry, etc tend to impart better or stronger smoke flavor than the gourmet blend.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have found that the single source pellets, ie Hickory, Pecan, Cherry, etc tend to impart better or stronger smoke flavor than the gourmet blend.

Yep. Many of the blends tend to use less flavorful oak as filler.

Just be careful with 100% Hickory. On really long smokes, or with chicken or fish, it can end up with a bitter aftertaste.

Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Yep. Many of the blends tend to use less flavorful oak as filler.

Just be careful with 100% Hickory. On really long smokes, or with chicken or fish, it can end up with a bitter aftertaste.

Ive read that about the pellets. For my kamado the fruit woods I use either cherry, apple. I also use pecan.