SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A (legal) question on obtaining legal US citizenship.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A (legal) question on obtaining legal US citizenship. Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
First, this does not pertain to me. I was born here.

I work in an office that issues passports. We have had a fairly large influx of refugees, especially in the past 10yrs.

The people who handle the passport applications, say it is not uncommon to have someone apply for a passport, yet they don’t know their birthday. And the countries they are coming from don’t exactly have any, or if at all, accurate information. And they all put down January 1st. Their words, not mine.

What is the process for giving out legal documents to someone who can’t prove their identity? This could entitle someone to voting privileges, Social Security, MediCare, and pretty much any other type of fraud.

Please tell me there is a process to circumvent this…

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I thought for a USA passport one needed a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship, or a couple of other docs as proof that would all have DOB's on them.

Have the rules changed such that Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship is not needed any more for those born outside the USA?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm confused (not unusual) you title does not match your actual question...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I work in an office that issues passports. We have had a fairly large influx of refugees, especially in the past 10yrs.

?????
Only US citizens can get a US Passport. To get a citizenship a valid certified copy of a Birth Certificate & notorized English translation is required. Do you work in a US Post Office?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4271 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the process for giving out legal documents to someone who can’t prove their identity?

Wouldn't that be spelled out where you work? Confused

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
To get my passport, I had to supply my original Naturalization Certificate (which was returned), and as I recall, some utility bills, a recent tax return, and another form of ID, like a DL. I don't recall a birth certificate, since I had my naturalization papers, but that WAS required for Citizenship to proceed.

I don't know how they get around that requirement in the case of refugees from those 3rd World shitholes where they barely have paper, much less record keeping.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
What is the process for giving out legal documents to someone who can’t prove their identity?

Wouldn't that be spelled out where you work? Confused

If memory serves correct he works at the Post Office and they only handle the passport application.
He is asking what is documentation is required to become a citizen and that does not occur at the post office.

What exactly is required I have no clue. All I know is I have done a lot of work with folks from the Middle East and Africa (mainly refugees).
January 1st was likely the “birthdate” of at least 60% of these folks if not more.

Like I said I have no clue what it takes but from all I can tell when it comes to refugees becoming citizens it is not very much at all.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
To get my passport, I had to supply my original Naturalization Certificate (which was returned), and as I recall, some utility bills, a recent tax return, and another form of ID, like a DL.
That's what my wife had to do, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
IN general, under international law, countries taking in refugees or asylum seekers are required to provide some form of identification documents. If the host state won't issue it, the UNHCR can issue documents (not really an issue in the US). For those who don't have access to birth certificates, which is common for refugees, USCIS assigns a birthday of Jan 1.

There is a vetting process for refugees that involves biographic and identity investigations, FBI biometric checks of fingerprints and photographs, medical screenings, other checks by U.S. domestic and international intelligence agencies including the National Counterterrorism Center/Intelligence Community and the FBI. Refugees from some countries, such as Iraq and Syria, undergo an additional review through the Security Advisory Opinion process

To get permanent residency (green card), they have to apply after living in the states for 1 year. They can apply for US citizenship after 5 years of residency. THey are (mostly) required to be proficient in basic English, pass a civics test and take an oath of allegiance to the US. They are also fingerprinted and photographed for background checks.

This is how the typical refugee gets handled. I don't think the Afghan refugees would be considered typical. It seems like we have no idea who we brought over here. Not sure how that is being handled.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can they produce an arrest warrant? If you are here illegally that is all you need to fly now,according to our government.

TSA confirms it lets illegal immigrants use arrest warrants as ID in airports

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...warrants-id-airports

Posts: 12697 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
[QUOTE]?????
Only US citizens can get a US Passport. To get a citizenship a valid certified copy of a Birth Certificate & notorized English translation is required. Do you work in a US Post Office?

Yes, I am a mail carrier. I have nothing to do with passports. I just overheard the passport clerks talking, and I couldn’t believe what I heard.

We have had enough refugees in the past few years, school enrollment was up 40% in one year at a local school district.

-----------------
I apologize now...

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What the refugees get aren't US passports but "Refugee Travel Documents." Apparently, "the Refugee Travel Document is similar in appearance to a U.S. passport."

How do I get a refugee travel document.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
The people who handle the passport applications, say it is not uncommon to have someone apply for a passport, yet they don’t know their birthday. And the countries they are coming from don’t exactly have any, or if at all, accurate information. And they all put down January 1st. Their words, not mine.

Just wait 'til you meet "Suharto LNU", DOB 01/01/1980. Single names (no family/surname) are pretty common in a wide swath of places like Indonesia, and SOMETHING needs to go into the last-name field on Driver's Licenses and other stuff when they come here.

It's even more amusing in waiting rooms on this side of the Pacific when someone tries to sound-out the abbreviation for "Last Name Unknown" and calls for "Mister... Linoo?"

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Reminds me of this bit from The Tonight Show.
Starts at 3:50.

Smile

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:

Just wait 'til you meet "Suharto LNU", DOB 01/01/1980. Single names (no family/surname) are pretty common in a wide swath of places like Indonesia, and SOMETHING needs to go into the last-name field on Driver's Licenses and other stuff when they come here.

It's even more amusing in waiting rooms on this side of the Pacific when someone tries to sound-out the abbreviation for "Last Name Unknown" and calls for "Mister... Linoo?"

Yes, they have very common last names, and they move around a lot, between houses. They also move multiple families into a single house. It’s easy to spot, they have so many cars they park them on the street, instead of their driveway. I’d guesstimate 90% of the houses in my territory for the past five years were sold to refugees. And it’s a chain reaction, once a house sells, the other neighbors start moving out. But the first thing they do is get voter registration card, nevermind most can’t speak English, and for as long as they’ve been in our community, they haven’t tried. The kids can speak without an accent, but they keep to themselves. They want zero interaction with western culture. Even at bus stops, they avoid American kids. And the parents are always with them, because most don’t work.

Just an observation from the past few years. I was unaware of the “pick a birthday” for legal documents. Kind of disturbing…

-----------------
I apologize now...

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
First, this does not pertain to me. I was born here.

What is the process for giving out legal documents to someone who can’t prove their identity? This could entitle someone to voting privileges, Social Security, MediCare, and pretty much any other type of fraud.

Please tell me there is a process to circumvent this…

Of course there are processes to make sure people are who they say they are. The law requires it, and government bureaucrats revel in such minutiae. Potential immigrants and visa applicants have to jump through incredible hoops to get into this country legally. Documents, more documents, checks of records, some more documents, FBI checks - and woe betide the applicant who can't provide what is needed or whose documents don't measure up.

It probably contributes to the numbers that try to get in illegally. They can't get in legally. I'm not saying we should change, just saying . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post