SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Neck surgery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck surgery Login/Join 
posted
Tomorrow, Two discs around C4 vert.and a plate with screws. Had to do it because it will only get worse. Talked to two people who had this done, and they feel great now. It sucks getting old

Audemus jura nostra defendere

Posts: 17 | Registered: October 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dueeast:
Tomorrow, Two discs around C4 vert.and a plate with screws. Had to do it because it will only get worse. Talked to two people who had this done, and they feel great now. It sucks getting old

Good Luck!

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Have had seven spine surgeries and six of those were fusions. Of all those, two were "neck surgeries". BY far the easiest surgeries I went thru were the neck surgeries, and the toughest were the "lower back" surgeries. But if you think about it a minute - that makes sense. Look at it this way: Do you have more "body mass" above the neck, or above the lower back? RIGHT! "Lower back" is the correct answer. So it makes sense that the lower back will "see" far more stresses & strains than the neck, making it tougher-and longer- for the lower back to heal. Heck, I remember that about 4 or 5 hours after I got home from my first neck surgery I was out on the farm putzing around as if nothing had happened. YOU WILL DO FINE!! Try to allay your fears. Don't skimp on the pain meds... and do what the doctor says - and you'll be fine. BTW, this isn't his first spine surgery is it?? (That's a jokke, Son)... FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had mine done ~15 years ago. “Harvested” disc instead of a synthetic like they usually use these days.

They went in through the front and carefully put the incision in a crease so it wasn’t visible. Titanium plate and screws.

My surgeon had golden hands. I did my PT religiously and aside from not riding wooden roller coasters I’m as normal as I was before.

Good luck. I was about 50 at the time.

g

Posts: 24 | Location: Middle America | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I had major C-spine surgery last summer, multiple laminectomies and 7-levels of fusion. It went very well, and I’m happy with the outcome.

No reason to think your surgery won’t be very successful. I assume the surgery you described will be anterior approach, and I hear recovery is rapid. All the best.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Scary to contemplate, but it was cake to go through. I think I walked more the 2 weeks after my 3 level neck surgery than I have since, lol. Good luck to you!!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
C5-6 around 1998, c2-3 second time, around 2001. Both done from the front. Donor bone, titanium plates.

I have permanent nerve damage that affects my left leg, and some numbness in both hands. I can't run, but can walk and manage to do most everything else.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
4 spine surgeries
, 2 cervical, 2 lumbar…. Cervical, cakewalk……. Of course, I have a pain tolerance of Hercules. Not good.. Best of luck. Do not drink raw Beet juice immediately after surgery.. ask me how I know.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Best of luck my imaginary friend.

I have some bulging disks in my neck-only one pushes on a nerve. I thought I’d have to have surgery, but the surgeon I saw said I wasn’t a candidate.

A coworker had his neck worked on, he followed what he was supposed to do and was out of the collar in six weeks.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11292 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
How’d it go?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11292 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post