SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A friend's first deployment to ME. Gift ideas?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A friend's first deployment to ME. Gift ideas? Login/Join 
Bodhisattva
posted
A young friend of mine is probably going to sandland. He hasn't been in the Army long and it's his first overseas deployment. I'd like to get him a useful gift but have NO idea what he would need. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I liked having a really nice multi-tool when I was in the field in Germany; I never did the ME. Leatherman, Gerber, etc., in stainless steel with a decent pair of pliers on it.

Fighting knives are cool, but a multi-tool is actually useful daily.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Good G’Shock watch. It is something useful and least likely to be stolen.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A good pair of wrap around sunglasses.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
All good suggestions

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe a small MP3 player that runs on a AAA battery. Cheap entertainment and not terrible if it breaks.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you know what his MOS is?
That would be helpful in deciding on a gift.

When I went to AFG, I mainly drove a Maxx Pro MRAP with a Mine Roller, so I am basing my ideas off of that.

The most useful things that I had were a multi-tool, along with a good folding knife to hook on to my IBA/plate carrier. It will be put to good use for cutting open care packages, MRE's and also if need be, to cut the ratchet straps holding down ammo near the turret.

Also I had two small flashlights that I used more than anything. I eventually found one with a green light that was perfect doing the PMCS of the interior of the MRAP. I carried a Streamlight ProTac 2AA, and also a Streamlight 1L-1AA.

I second what Oz_Shadow recommended. This will be helpful on the long long flight over and back, and also give him something to listen to when he visits the gym.

If he is taking over some type of computer, a small external hard drive is perfect to pre-load a ton of movies on to watch throughout the deployment. I think I was the only one out of the 12 of us that didn't have one ( I had my kindle though)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
He's intelligence in an Airborne unit. Thats all I really know.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Multi tool, flashlight, head lamp, G shock...all things I have bought while deployed at one time or another.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one thing i wish I had taken with me was a nice travel coffee mug, (especially if he is a coffee drinker), and or if he is going to be in the TOC.

Just a suggestion, recommend him getting a bore snake to take with him. We had cleaning kits in the team room, but they didn't have any bore snakes so I emailed my girlfriend to send a few over. They were a big hit. There were 12 of us in the PSD detachment, and almost all of us were gun enthusiasts but not one of us thought about bringing some with us.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Is Maine really that bad? Maybe PHPaul can help out? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I liked having a really nice multi-tool when I was in the field in Germany; I never did the ME. Leatherman, Gerber, etc., in stainless steel with a decent pair of pliers on it.

Fighting knives are cool, but a multi-tool is actually useful daily.
Depending on what the OP's friend is doing an AR-15 focused multi-tool (e.g. Leatherman MUT AR Maintenance Tool) may be cool twist.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I have to confess that I had the same thought. However, the suggestions others have made all seem to be appropriate for the sandbox.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Multitool. My son said that was the best thing I gave him. He used it almost daily over there.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a squirrel in the sandbox, I'd look at getting them an LED headlamp, the PETZL tAC Tikka has a built in red lens and has a good track record. A head lamp lets you do everything from looking at maps to working on trucks or computers. It's also good for reading while you are on a porta pooper. We used to get gerber multitools as part of predeployment RFI, I don't know if they still do. The streamlight flashlights mentioned above are a good investment as well. The ME lacks street lights. It's also good for making sure that nothing nested in your boot.

A spyderco or similar folder is a good gift as well. Great for opening MREs.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
We got Gerber multitools, too. Flashlights were never issued, but an LED headlamp is awesome when you can wear one. A handheld flashlight would be great for all the other times.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I have to confess that I had the same thought.

Heh. That was my first thought when I read the title too. Big Grin

I mean, Maine has a few spots with a bit of sand, but I'd hardly call it "sandland"...

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12 month subscription to xbox Live Gold.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I got him a Leatherman Surge and a Streamlight.

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Ask for his mailing address to resupply him with items he may need. Coffee, treats, and depending on his branch of service: coloring books Wink

tell him not to be shy about letting you know what he or his Team might need. I've pitched in a few times for care package requests posted here and other places.

If you do post an online care package request, I suggest you have all the items sent to you vs. sharing his name and address publicly ~ but you probably knew that Big Grin

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post