SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Multiple Breakers Tripped for No Reason
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multiple Breakers Tripped for No Reason Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
We woke up this morning to a call from the alarm company that our system had lost power. Power in the house was on.

I checked the breaker panel and there were three (all AFCI breakers) tripped. All were on when we went to bed. According to my alarm log, the power went out right before the company called, and there were no storms or anything around at the time.

I reset them and they stayed on, at least for now. Seems very strange for three to go at once. What else do I need to check?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Was there convective weather in the area?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
From the original post:
there were no storms or anything around at the time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
AFCI's are weird. Only thing I can guess is power surge, or minor disturbance. Reset them and don't worry about it again, unless the problem continues.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a disturbance in the Force. Somewhere in the universe, a million souls shrieked in horror. Or, there was a mild power surge.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
AFCI can be finicky... I've seen a bad light bulb trip them. Do you have multiple GFCI outlets in one circuit?

It's also possible you had a power surge or split second power outage

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Since they where all AFCI breakers I wouldn't worry much unless they continue to trip after you reset them.

Most likely some kind of surge tripped them.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they're working as intended.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
We just opened two new buildings at work with many many many arc fault breakers. What we're finding is many of the return neutral runs didn't end up at the correct breaker. So when one breaker trips for an "arc fault", it's also tripping another breaker in the panel, usually the one right along side of it which is what really threw us. We were a bit puzzled the first time for sure, thinking up all sorts of worse reasons why it was happening. Big Grin

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
From the original post:
there were no storms or anything around at the time.

D'oh!

One of my early mentors sometimes admonished, "If you are going to read AT all, read IT all."

I prospered mightily from this and other advice. Msybe I should keep dancing with the one who brung me!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
D'oh!

One of my early mentors sometimes admonished, "If you are going to read AT all, read IT all."

I prospered mightily from this and other advice. Msybe I should keep dancing with the one who brung me!

You do not often make that error. I try to read all previous entries in a thread before responding, but on occasion have been guilty of posting something previously stated. I did notice a spell check error above however. {msybe}

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. The breakers have not tripped again. The power surge thing is possible, and considering the (lack of) qualifications of the installing electrician, the mismatched-neutral thing is likely.

We have had storms off and on the last few days. The only reason I know we weren't having one at the time is that the alarm company woke me up.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Poltergeists

Posts: 8881 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Thanks for all the replies. The breakers have not tripped again. The power surge thing is possible, and considering the (lack of) qualifications of the installing electrician, the mismatched-neutral thing is likely.

We have had storms off and on the last few days. The only reason I know we weren't having one at the time is that the alarm company woke me up.

You'd know if it was mismatched neutrals already. As soon as load was applied they'd trip. The alarm company may not have called until the backup battery drained completely so there may have been a delay depending on if they sense before or after the transformer for the system or sense when it switches to battery (not sure how they do it).

Tigerdoe has the likely cause in my opinion.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I have one circuit that I think has multiple GFCIs on one line. Without cause or warning it will trip unpredictably. I've wondered if one could be defective or if the cleanliness of the power is to blame.

Anyone know about these? Power conditioners

It would seem that this would help the tendency for the line to trip, and benefit electronics, LED bulbs and improve longevity. No one seems to know about them around here.

Might help the OP. Anyone with thoughts?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a gfi plug installed on my carport for a freezer, kept tripping for no reason, electrician never could figure it out, moved the freezer into the utility room with regular plug, no more problems, had him change the gfi to a regular plug.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We have a 21 y/o house. I've had an issue the last few years of a GCFI box tripping in the laundry room them taking out the garage outlets, which includes the dog fence. My normal protocol was to reset it, which was kinda finicky.

I did some research, ended up getting a new outlet at Home Depot. These new GCFI outlets have a 'green' power indicator on the plate, so you can see it's power by just a glance.

I read directions, turned off the breaker, then checked that the outlet was dead. After that I just wired it the same as the one coming off. It was easy, and hasen't tripped yet.

The old one would trip under certain conditions, seemed to be mostly when extremely damp or wet.

Posts: 6389 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
D'oh!

You do not often make that error. I try to read all previous entries in a thread before responding, but on occasion have been guilty of posting something previously stated. I did notice a spell check error above however. {msybe}

Yeah. I need to learn to twype one of these days.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
D'oh!

Yeah. I need to learn to twype one of these days.
Jim -- maybe you should go back to bed and stay there until tomorrow. It looks like today is "everybody pile some crap on JAllen day." Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
Had a gfi plug installed on my carport for a freezer, kept tripping for no reason, electrician never could figure it out, moved the freezer into the utility room with regular plug, no more problems, had him change the gfi to a regular plug.

Likely something wrong with your freezer. Did the GFI trip after her replaced it, and before you moved the freezer? If not it was bad GFI, if so bad freezer.. Since he added the carport one I assume it only served that one location? My guess is this wasn't an electrician because if he was licensed he wouldn't have installed a non GFI protected outlet there since its against the electrical code.

Simple test to figure out if the freezer is bad. Use extension cord to plug into bath or kitchen GFI. If it trips then freezer is bad. If you choose not to replace, always wear rubber soled shoes when accessing freezer and lock door to utility room so that kids and/or guests are not exposed to the electrical hazard.

Make sure to have an electrician install GFI's in utility room and carport before you sell so it doesn't get flagged on Home inspection.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis