SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are gas pumps slower now?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are gas pumps slower now? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I only use Chevron. So not sure if this is a brand thing, or regional thing. Or not a thing at all. Or a broad thing.

But across a half dozen or so stations around me, the pumps area all noticeably slower now than they used to be. It takes me 3-4x longer to pump the same amount of gas. I thought it was just a one-off at first. But across a half dozen stations seems to be a pattern. And these are all stations I've used before.

It's long enough when just filling the tank of my car. But seriously, I could go eat lunch at in-out while filling the tank of my truck.

Are you guys seeing this?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12748 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Nope. Same speed as when I was a kid and all the time in between.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lucky.

I hope it's just a temporary thing. I'll try some other gas brands.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12748 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure where I picked up the habit, but I always set the pump on the slowest hold. Rarely in such a hurry that 60-90 seconds will make a difference in my day.

I think it was all from my first 2 cars, diesels, & foaming when pumping quickly.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It takes time to ring up all those dollars.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30713 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
They're just trying to condition you to get used to charging your mandated electric car in ten years.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just watch the dollar line, it's gonna go up so fast you'll think the pump runs at hyper speed!

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The company wants you to feel like you got your money's worth......you didn't!!

Posts: 6629 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It does seem like around here there are certain stations where the pumps are noticeably slower than others.

There is a Circle K near me where the pumps seem to take a lot longer than the Wawa down the street.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Pump speed comes down to how often they change the filters.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Do the pumps that are slow have the little video screens which are playing ads and keep trying to talk to you?

I can see them slowing the pumps to make it so you have to listen/watch more ads.

This assumes they make money from ads, which could be possible for larger chains since everyone wants to be like google these days. But likely not the reality.

Posts: 251 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I walk away while the ads are playing.

Posts: 9471 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I've been told that the lower the tank, the longer it takes to pump.

Or, the more people pumping the more time it takes - which makes sense to me.

Only once have I ever quit pumping because it was so slow. But it was at a shell station in Virginia at 2am.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Are you paying with an iPhone? Maybe they're throttling the speed. Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I too have noticed it and I thinks it's tied into the little screens they have that display adds and shit.

Keep you there longer to watch the ads.

Just a guess.

Posts: 4086 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loading the wagon
posted Hide Post
Oh yes. Much slower.

Posts: 272 | Registered: June 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's what's slow:

Are you a rewards member?
Pay credit/cash?
Pay here/inside?
Do you want a car wash?
Do you want a receipt?
Enter your zip code.

The buttons are worn out and don't work very well, the menus are slow to update, and if you screw up you have to cancel and then it takes forever for the pump to reset.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I just got gas at Wawa down the street and the pumps were absolutely slow, less than 50% of the typical speed. I frequent this gas station all the time and this was a first for me.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9696 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes!! I hate that as well - I just want to buy gas.

I found that often, if not always, using contact-less Apple Pay will bypass all that stuff. If you use a card, you have to follow those questions.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I just got gas at Wawa down the street and the pumps were absolutely slow, less than 50% of the typical speed. I frequent this gas station all the time and this was a first for me.

Yea, that sounds like what I've been seeing. Except it's more than just half as slow - more like 1/4 speed. Wonder what's going on. Is there some policy to make gas more annoying than EV? At least in commie regions?