SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Three from Jimmie Rodgers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three from Jimmie Rodgers Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Filmed at Victor Recording Studios in Camden, New Jersey, November, 1929

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Para, I loved them! Especially T for Texas.

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful guitar! Looks like an old Martin by the headstock shape, but I can't be certain.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38700 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Very nice memories. My mother had one of his albums. She did not play it much, but I always liked the yodeling.

Jimmy lived somewhere in the neighborhood of B.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm familiar with him. But growing up I was more familiar with Jimmie Rodgers. So as a kid when I'd here this one, it confused me that it didn't sound like that one.

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Never heard of or seen before. While it’s not first on my playlist, that was pretty cool and reminds me of a simpler time. (Yeah, I know, that was 45 years before my time, but you get what I mean, I hope.)

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is pretty cool and pretty early. In his first song he said he was headed back to dixie and his pocket book was empty. Made me think how many of our early family members almost always had no money in their pockets. In some ways they might have been better off than many of us today.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing one of the first music videos.

Here is another good tune.

Posts: 1576 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Without Jimmie Rodgers, there wouldn't have been the Hank Williams we know (among many others). But yeah, a pretty direct line between those two. I can't hear one without thinking of the other.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Get that boy his coffee! I had mine listening to the man on the front porch.

"Get me that old guitar out of there". (you know the one. The one with my name inlaid on the fret board). Smile

Thanks Para!

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Had he not come along we’d have not had this line:

“I went home and listened to Jimmie Rodgers in my lunch-break”
Cleaning Windows by Van Morrison

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31465 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The singing brakeman from Meridian MS. I believe Mississippi produces more musicians than any other state.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Get me that old guitar out of there". (you know the one. The one with my name inlaid on the fret board).

And other fancy accents. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 6guns,

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38700 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I never heard of him other than that verse in 'Black Velvet'

Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
Jimmie Rogers on the Victrola up high
Mama's dancin' with a baby on her shoulder
The sun is settin' like molasses in the sky

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Close to it. Columbia Pictures (the studio which released The Singing Brakeman) used the Western Electric System for early sound films. This was the same as Warner Brothers "Vitaphone", which is a sound-on-disc system, meaning that the audio was recorded on a disc which was then synced to the film during projection.

Sound films really started in earnest in 1926, though efforts to record sound for films goes back to the very beginning of motion picture technology. Edison started out to create such a system but abandoned it, and the French actually developed and used such systems at the turn of the 20th Century, the most notable among them being Gaumont's Chronophone.

Warner Brothers Vitaphone shorts documented many singers and Vaudeville acts of the 1920s, with the number of these shorts exploding in 1927/28, so, there were quite a few "music videos" before the one you see in this thread.

The month The Singing Brakeman was released- November, 1929- the last silent film from a major studio, before the full-on sound era was released by MGM- Garbo's The Kiss. After that, there were a few silents released, including two by Chaplin, but the public wanted sound films.

The transition from silent to sound films is to me the most interesting part of all of cinema history. No change in cinema has ever happened so quickly or had such a profound effect as this period of 1926 to 1930.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Merle Haggard did a double album tribute to Jimmie Rodgers in ‘69 called “Same Train, A Different Time.” Brings back an unpleasant memory. I bought the album and was shorted one of the two records.

Posts: 13294 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love listening to him sing. My favorites are Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys with Tommy Duncan, but Rogers is right up there.

I love my Pandora-I can program anyone, almost, and get tons of these songs as I drive.

Thank for these, Para.

Bob

Posts: 1577 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
That is one beautiful guitar! Looks like an old Martin by the headstock shape, but I can't be certain.

Yes, it is a Martin 000-45. The 000 is a size designation - a small to medium size. The 45 is the style number, and that is a very fancy Martin - lots of binding and pearl. He additionally had his name on the fretboard in pearl, and the word "Thanks" upside down on the back. He'd flip it over during a performance so the audience could see it. You could still get one pretty much like it from Martin. The 000-42 is in the catalog, and they could make you a 45 style as a custom.

Rodgers is something else. He was an immediate predecessor of modern country and one of the first artists who can be called country. He was playing major blues and combining that with old-time string tunes and folk music. Another way to say ii is that he fused Appalachian mountain music with black blues music from the deeper South. Once you mix a little more swing and syncopation into that, you have modern country, and you are within spitting distance of rock and roll. Rodgers' influence can't be overstated. He was huge in his day - as popular as anyone has ever been. Too bad he died at 35 from tuberculosis.

And, of course, you can't beat him for what he is. Great.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Close to it. Columbia Pictures (the studio which released The Singing Brakeman) used the Western Electric System for early sound films. This was the same as Warner Brothers "Vitaphone", which is a sound-on-disc system, meaning that the audio was recorded on a disc which was then synced to the film during projection.

Sound films really started in earnest in 1926, though efforts to record sound for films goes back to the very beginning of motion picture technology. Edison started out to create such a system but abandoned it, and the French actually developed and used such systems at the turn of the 20th Century, the most notable among them being Gaumont's Chronophone.

Warner Brothers Vitaphone shorts documented many singers and Vaudeville acts of the 1920s, with the number of these shorts exploding in 1927/28, so, there were quite a few "music videos" before the one you see in this thread.

The month The Singing Brakeman was released- November, 1929- the last silent film from a major studio, before the full-on sound era was released by MGM- Garbo's The Kiss. After that, there were a few silents released, including two by Chaplin, but the public wanted sound films.

The transition from silent to sound films is to me the most interesting part of all of cinema history. No change in cinema has ever happened so quickly or had such a profound effect as this period of 1926 to 1930.

I do enjoy your wealth of knowledge on these subjects and appreciate you offering it up.

Don't think it was coincidence that the "Call Board" had "Martin" followed by "Rodgers" for the 10:15 run. ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
btt