SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Columbia, SC members...chime in please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Columbia, SC members...chime in please Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
If I don't trade the trip I have at the end of the month for something better, I will be in Columbia, SC for a couple of nights. We arrive pretty late on the 28th, so won't be doing much, but the crew and I will be there all day Saturday and don't leave until 1630-ish Sunday afternoon.

So.....what to see, what to do?? Thanks!!

Oh...staying in the Downtown area with no real means of transportation unless I rent a car.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If you do rent a car you can go check out Palmetto state armory.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Man, if you were there on a weekday, you could beg a tour of FN. Columbia is a rough little place. Dont be walking. Rent the car. You can check out Piggly Wiggly... Big Grin

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
You can check out Piggly Wiggly... Big Grin

Or as we used to call it, the Hoggly Woggly... Big Grin

Are there any Civil War areas or museums?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I only found the State Museum Relic Room.There must be more to see than that.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Columbia is not exactly what I'd call a "tourist attraction."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Email me. I am planning on being around might be able to give you the nickle tour and get you 3 cents in change. Haha

Chris

Posts: 2913 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Cowboys Brazilian steakhouse.
Flying saucer if you like beer, over 100 on tap.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
If you're going to be there beginning April 28, the University of SC baseball team has a conference homestand against Kentucky. Those are fun games if you like baseball.

The SC Military Museum may be of interest--and I believe it's free. You can also walk around the State House and look for the big bronze starts marking the scars from Sherman's cannons.

There is a State Museum and an Art Museum, but I don't know what the current exhibits are like.

If you like historic homes, there are a are several in Columbia. There's the Hampton-Preston house and gardens and the Robert Mills House and Gardens. Mills designed the Washington Monument.

Five Points is a restaurant and bar district close to the University and is generally packed full of college kids.

Mr. Friendly's in Five Points is usually good--I like their shrimp and grits.

Not in Five Points, but stay away from Maurice's Piggy Park BBQ--it's gut-wrenchingly awful.

You can check out what's going on at the Vista. The area used to be a warehouse district and is located along the Congaree River. There are lots of shops, restaurants, and bars.

Posts: 2692 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Nframe is the man, take him up on his offer!

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do much in Columbia but I know all the places to go but aren't in Columbia
I stay away from the crowds also

Posts: 2913 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Aren't there things open for civilian visitors at Fort Jackson?

We passed through there on the way to Charleston SC 2 years ago and stopped at the Cookout fast food place which I thought was decent. The only other thing I remember from my time there for Army Basic Training and AIT many moons ago was eating pecan waffles at 3 am at The Waffle House. Cool

Posts: 34539 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
It's only a 2 hour drive to Charleston. Rent a car and hang out there for a couple of days.

Seriously.

That's what I'd do.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 2.5 weeks working in Columbia a while back. Even the locals said Columbia was the armpit of SC. It was 12-14 hour days so I didn't get to explore much, but I'm sure there's some good stuff to do there. It's not Charleston though, I can promise you that.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
If you're downtown it's worth it to walk around the statehouse and check out some of the cannon ball hits General Sherman scored right before burning the place down. Also the Confederate Relic Room as someone mentioned.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2281 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Charleston is pretty interesting.
See Sumter, Patriot Point, Sullivan's Island/Fort Moultrie, the old Battery.

Sumter Flag

Grits are Good for You!

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Rent a car and drive to Charleston, at least for an afternoon.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3635 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Watching this thread. Headed to Sumter, SC this summer.

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Ditto on The Vista or a USC ballgame. Some websites shared by cheesegrits might be slow this evening because of the storms today. The Vista and the USC ballpark is generally closer to downtown than Five Points.

Another place I've been meaning to check out is Bourbon on Main St by the State House. I don't have a designated driver to get me home though. I cannot ever seem to get my wife to join me to check out Motor Supply Company Bistro in the Vista.

SC State Museum and Riverwalk next to it are a good distraction or way to walk off too much liquid lunch. You could also eat (steal) the candy at Mast General Store with the homeless.

Speaking of Five Points, Pawleys Front Porch has some good burgers.

Yes. Maurices BBQ sucks.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
Watching this thread. Headed to Sumter, SC this summer.
I lived in Sumter, SC for 4 years 1971-1975. Had an apartment right next to the Swan Lake Gardens. That is a beautiful park and worth a visit.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post