SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FLA home surveillance legal question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FLA home surveillance legal question. Login/Join 
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted
Dear Legal Eagles,

I want to place a camera/voice recorder in my livingroom. As I understand this is legal as long as those inside are told they may be recorded and the camera is not placed in a room such as a bathroom or bedroom. It will only be used when I am present.

If someone living in house objected can they legally prevent this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belwolf,

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4364 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If your getting a divorce do you have a lawyer? If so ask them. If not get one now.

Good luck.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16410 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Lawyer.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In this specific and unique situation, I think you'd better ask a lawyer. Also ask him or her if you should even be posting about it on a "gun nut" forum.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to be really careful here. You’re obviously aware of Florida’s wiretapping statute, which requires both parties to consent to the recording of a conversation. That means, among other things, that the other party has the right not to consent as well.

Florida also has a video voyeurism statute which prohibits recording images of people in a place where they have a legitimate expectation of privacy. There are some limitations based on the motive of the person doing the recording but I wouldn’t want to hang my hat on those.

If you have a concern about a specific person you could tell them that you will be recording all of your conversations from this point forward and, accordingly, not to speak to you unless they agree to be recorded. This consent should, obviously, be in writing or recorded.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
You have to be really careful here. You’re obviously aware of Florida’s wiretapping statute, which requires both parties to consent to the recording of a conversation. That means, among other things, that the other party has the right not to consent as well.

Florida also has a video voyeurism statute which prohibits recording images of people in a place where they have a legitimate expectation of privacy. There are some limitations based on the motive of the person doing the recording but I wouldn’t want to hang my hat on those.

If you have a concern about a specific person you could tell them that you will be recording all of your conversations from this point forward and, accordingly, not to speak to you unless they agree to be recorded. This consent should, obviously, be in writing or recorded.
I'll offer this after discussing a similar issue with an attorney friend of mine.

I have two cameras installed in the core of my home as part of an overall video security system. The system automatically monitors and records based on motion in or around the house. Come into my home and you have no expectation of privacy. Also, the video voyeurism aspect is easily defended 'if' the cameras are truly setup as a home security system (i.e. installed in plain site and not a hide a camera inside a teddy bear on a shelf).

Every conversation had in my family room or kitchen is likely recorded, though the audio is somewhat iffy at times given the other noise in the room.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
If your getting a divorce do you have a lawyer? If so ask them. If not get one now.

This is awesome! Smile

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12440 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belwolf:
Dear Legal Eagles,

I want to place a camera/voice recorder in my livingroom. As I understand this is legal as long as those inside are told they may be recorded and the camera is not placed in a room such as a bathroom or bedroom. It will only be used when I am present.

If someone living in house objected can they legally prevent this?

I have a PI agency in Florida. Send me an email and I will be happy to discuss with you.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:

I'll offer this after discussing a similar issue with an attorney friend of mine.

I have two cameras installed in the core of my home as part of an overall video security system. The system automatically monitors and records based on motion in or around the house. Come into my home and you have no expectation of privacy. Also, the video voyeurism aspect is easily defended 'if' the cameras are truly setup as a home security system (i.e. installed in plain site and not a hide a camera inside a teddy bear on a shelf).

Every conversation had in my family room or kitchen is likely recorded, though the audio is somewhat iffy at times given the other noise in the room.

This makes sense as you have described - guests in your home shouldn’t expect privacy in common areas but should, for example, in a bathroom or guest bedroom. Based on the context of the OP’s question it sounds like the other party also lives in the home. They likely do have an expectation of privacy even in common areas. If those assumptions are correct I wouldn’t record audio or video of them without their consent.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info gents. I do have a lawyer. One cannot video (audio always requires consent) where someone has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4364 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post