SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help transferring e-mails from laptop with Vista (yes Vista)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help transferring e-mails from laptop with Vista (yes Vista) Login/Join 
posted
So my old laptop ran Windows Vista. While I upgraded to a new machine a while ago, it has taken me a lot of time to clean old files and photos off of it and transfer them over to the new machine.

My last hurdle which I was not expecting is trying to get e-mails that are in the Vista specific Windows Mail program off the machine into a format that that Thunderbird will recognize. The Vista WM can export but one format is basically Vista specific, the other is a format for Outlook which I never had on the machine to begin with?

Anyone have any good ideas that could work with this situation? It would be much appreciated!

Posts: 340 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'd install Outlook then export to a PST and import on new machine (with Outlook).
However, what type of account do you have?
IMAP or POP3.
If IMAP the email may sill all be on your server and no import/export is necessary.
Could be the same even with POP3 if configured to leave messages on the server.
Don't know if there is a direct path to Thunderbird or not as I use/support Outlook primarily.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the e-mails are not on the server so that is out of the question. I have pondered trying to export in PST but where would one find a clean copy of Outlook?

Posts: 340 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I think I might sign up for O365 and do the transfer during the trial period.

Then migrate it to Thunderbird or just keep O365 (an pay for it).

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post