SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many miles have you driven?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many miles have you driven? Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
I drive a fair amount every day for my appliance service business. Add to that, living in rural America where it is an hour drive to get to places like a Sam's or a department store I drive about 32k miles per year. Add to that trips to Canada and northern Michigan, traveling to firearms classes across the country and a couple epic vacations I have racked up a bunch of miles over the years. I've retired 2 daily drivers with 350,000 miles each on them. Our Suburban had 250k miles and our 2 current vehicles have just under a couple hundred thousand miles on each of them.

So that puts me well, well over a million miles of driving in my lifetime. So how about the rest of you? how many miles do you drive in an average year and what would you estimate that you have driven in the course of your lifetime?

Posts: 11226 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I don't drive much nowadays. I have something like 2 million miles over the years. At one time I routinely drove 3,000 to 3,500 miles a week. I usually drive a vehicle until the wheels are about to fall off of it.

My last, and only, at fault accident was in November 1976. I've had people hit me several times, their fault.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
When I was working I used to average 3000 miles a month + or -.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Younger - about 20k / year

Now - about 8k / year. Including trips.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12726 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I don't work or commute any more so 5K a year for me, although this year it will more like 3.5 k. We stay home a lot. I believe my truck thinks I've got a side vehicle since it looks so sad sitting in the garage.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I am probably around 17k per year + recreation and pre-fulltime employment so around 500K total.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
About 140k since 2007. Not sure before that, but less on average.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I each average 30-40k/yr. Mine has been that high for at least 15 years. My wife’s has increased yearly with our children’s extra curricular activities. Mine have been done mostly trouble free in Honda’s. One of which had 350,000 miles.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I drive about 60k miles a year between personal and work miles. I’m 48 and have driven probably between 1.3 and 1.5 million miles.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 78 year old truck driver friend that will tell most anyone that he has driven more miles in reverse than you have going forward.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I am ecstatic to report that in the past 12 months I have only driven a little under 6,000 miles. It's been glorious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Charger on 10-26-20.
Current ODO is 792.
So about 400 miles a month, give or take.
400 miles X 12 Months = 4,800 a year.
But that may increase if our fine Governor ever lets everything open up again!
But lifetime? Hard to estimate. My patrol mileage every shift was 75 to 100 miles. For 20+ years.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive my school bus about 170,000 miles a year, between rural routes and field trips. My personal vehicle around 20,000 miles.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In about 59 years of driving I've gone well past a million miles of car and light truck driving. Probably 50,000 of these were pulling horse and boat trailers and hauling hay and cars. I've never had an accident and never gotten a speeding ticket. I'm certainly driving less now than I was earlier in my life. This doesn't count the tractor driving I've done over forty years on a small grain farm.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Well on my current and previous vehicles, I was around 10k/year, so I'll say in the last 20 years of driving, that's at least 200,000 miles, not factoring in driving the wife's car on trips during the last 8 years. Add maybe another 1500 for that. I also drove the entire perimeter of Iceland on the Ring Road, which I'd say is roughly 800 miles of driving. In my first five years of driving...no idea, but there were plenty of college trips from VA to PA, so maybe another 6000 at least?

Best guestimate? 215,000 miles or less.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Bought my Taco in July 2019. I have right around 8800 miles on it now. So roughly 500 miles a month. Wife has a Jeep renegade. She averages right around 500 miles a month as well.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Not too much since 2017 or so. I’d guesstimate I was well over a million by that point. I retired two diesel VWs, one at 285,000 miles and the other at 336,000. Plus a decade of driving all over the place in ambulances. And my regular patrolling, but that was probably only a few hundred a month.

Now it’s probably 20,000 a year. Maybe less. Mostly to and from work, and up and down the interstate for the kids. Not to much driving around at work these days.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
The majority of my working years I had an outside rep job with 35-40K per year. Add in some personal miles and the other years and a good guess is between 1.4 and 1.5 million.

It's no wonder there's not much patience left.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I was driving about 30-35000 work miles and about 10000 pleasure miles for about 40 years. I am probably over 1.5 million for my career.Much less than that now since I am in the take it easy mode!

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably averaged 10-20K/year, maybe 800K total including cars, motorcycles and trucks.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post