SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Google Flights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Google Flights Login/Join 
posted
Guys at work told me about these guys. Our son lives in Seattle. So I set it up to email me with good deals. Right now with flexibility, we can save about 50%.
Wife did some Yahoo research and has the option that we should book directly with airline.
Any Google Flights experiences out there?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I'll use it it I'm flight hunting for vacation then book directly w/ the airline. It's nice to have any matches hit my inbox. Other than that, nit a lot to offer besides it's 'free'.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I typically use Kayak to find the flights and book with the airline. Google Flights always showed higher fares from my last few months of research for our flight to Taiwan this summer.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7075 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks. I’ll check out Kayak. Also that’s a good idea of going directly through airline after finding the best price.
It is confusing when searching for reviews on Google about their flights, they are all stellar, but on Yahoo, they say stay away! Go figure!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I can't stay abreast of these things. But they do concern me. You guys care about this kind of stuff?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/...racking-within-apps/

Privacy International hits out at unconsented Facebook tracking within apps
Popular apps like Kayak and Duolingo are firing off users' Google ad IDs to Facebook the moment apps are launched.
Written by Chris Duckett, Contributor on Jan. 1, 2019

Privacy International found that 23 of the apps it tested sent data to Facebook -- data which tells the social network that a user has opened or closed a specific app, along with information about the device, and language and time zone settings. The apps also sent along the user's Google advertising ID, which allows tracking companies to easily conduct profile matching.

Coming in for special treatment was the Kayak travel booking app, which passed data to Facebook with each search within the app: time of the search; departure and arrival city, airport, and date; and number and class of tickets. Privacy International pointed out that this behaviour happened regardless of whether the user was logged out of Facebook, or was without an account on the social network.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12743 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
Google flights is simply a search tool. If you choose to book it takes you directly to the airlines website. I think youre misunderstanding what its use is.

Hint: Book separate one way flights to get the cheapest overall trip cost with the best times.

Posts: 4459 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Hint: Book separate one way flights to get the cheapest overall trip cost with the best times.

I think I've observed this on occasion, at least for the better times (not sure about better price). And I've wondered if this were so and why. For example, some round trips didn't include flights where the return trip date/time was more preferred and offered only if booking a single one way trip back.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12743 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it all the time. If a flight matches what I’m looking for it links to the airline

After many issues, I stopped using kayak, Travelocity and the other websites

I only book direct with airlines

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've used it before to search for the best fare. Simple to see multiple airlines and then book through the airline.

They don't list prices for all airlines such as Southwest which happens to have a hub at my nearest airport. Southwest prices though have been crazy for everything I've looked at for the last few years.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16405 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use them all the time when booking personal flights they're not going to have all carriers but, they have most. One of the best resources for booking airline tickets and exploring flight options as you can get creative with setting up open jaw and multi-stop itineraries.

Google Flights is simply a search engine, when you click Continue, you're re-routed to that airline's website, thus you're booking directly with the airline. Google doesn't have a travel department.

Posts: 14669 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
call me paranoid, but I always search flights in "incognito" mode. I too use google flights.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6014 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post