SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Newsom Says Republicans ‘Will Go Into The Waste Bin Of Society,’ Compares 2019 America To California In The 90s
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newsom Says Republicans ‘Will Go Into The Waste Bin Of Society,’ Compares 2019 America To California In The 90s Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Newsom Says Republicans ‘Will Go Into The Waste Bin Of Society,’ Compares 2019 America To California In The 90s

California Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom compared the current political situation in the United States to that of California in the 90s, then predicted the eventual demise of the national Republican Party.

During a wide-ranging interview with Politico published Monday, the former San Francisco mayor took some time to break from state politics to weigh in on what he considers a bright future for Democrats at the national level similar to what they’ve experienced of late in his state.

“America in 2019 is California in the 1990s,” said Newsom. “The xenophobia, the nativism, the fear of ‘the other.’ Scapegoating. Talking down or past people. The hysteria. And so, we’re not going to put up with that. We are going to push back.”

Former Republican Governor Pete Wilson served two terms during the decade, leaving office in 1999 with a $16 billion budget surplus and a 55 percent approval rating. His term was marked by the passage of welfare reform and Proposition 187, a 1994 ballot initiative — later overturned by a federal court — that would have denied health care, social services, and public education to illegal immigrants.

Likely referring at least in part to Proposition 187, which was divisive then but still passed by 59 percent of voters, Newsom told Politico that Republicans at the national level “are into the politics of what California was into in the 1990s … and they’ll go the same direction — into the waste bin of history, the way Republicans of the ’90s have gone. That’s exactly what will happen to this crop of national Republicans.”

Republicans currently make up only around 25 percent of voters in California.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/0...publicans-waste-bin/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24184 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Victor Davis Hanson Tells Tucker Why California Is ‘America’s First Third-World State’

Historian Victor Davis Hanson described why he feels his home state of California is America’s first “Third World state” during a Monday night appearance on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

Hanson’s comments came after the state’s Democratic governor, Gavin Newsom, said that national Republicans will go “into the waste bin of history, the way Republicans of the ’90s [in California] have gone.”

WATCH:

Responding to host Tucker Carlson’s question about why he considers California a “Third World state,” Hanson pointed to “symptoms” we typically “associate with failed states” such as high taxes, poor schools, a super-rich class, and a significant percentage of its people below the poverty line.

“We have the most billionaires of any state in nation and then we have the largest underclass,” he said, blaming in part the overturning of the “very popular” Proposition 187, which would have denied non-emergency healthcare to illegal immigrants.

“That was unfortunately part of a perfect storm,” said Hanson, describing the millions of people who chose to move elsewhere over the next two decades.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/0...a-third-world-state/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24184 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if anyone on the Left even knows what "projection" means.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How very totalitarian of him.

Every day the true colors of the (D) become clearer, the truth is breaking free of the lies they've told about themselves over the last few decades.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'd bet ol' Gavin there every penny in my savings account (and it's a good sum) that the DNC will undergo some type of metamorphosis WAAAAAAY before the the Republican Party meets any type "demise". Hell...the DNC is ALREADY going through a shift, as we see the traditional Liberals fighting a cultural battle with their EXTREME Leftist a-hole buddies on a daily basis. Case in point...Uncle Joe's flip-flop-flip on abortion within a matter of days because of Leftist stupidity and straight up insanity.
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
I wonder if anyone on the Left even knows what "projection" means.
EXACTLY, marksman...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Newsom hasn't noticed the California of 2019 more resembles those very shit hole countrys he strives to deny exist in much of his urban areas.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
"And here I hide in my own little reality, tucked away behind the Sierras...."

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Newsom is a special kind of mental midget isn't he. The man doesn't see the crime, the homelessness, the black hole of debt, the addiction, and all the other problems Californians are dealing with every day. There is no middle class left in Cali-land, just an elite class of billionaires and a pauper class of serfs begging at the foot of their castles. And Newsom thinks he and his cohorts are on the right track? Nothing but wild eyed delusion and mental illness as that state circles the drain.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
That's funny one coming from the latest tinpot looney ruling CA....where they have homeless camping on major streets and a fecal and needle issues in their richest cities.

Progressive utopia!!

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It remains to be seen whether Republicans will become extinct in CA or whether the folks toward the middle will come to their senses and realize that toward the Left lies insanity and the pendulum will swing back. What I have seen of CA elections doesn’t leave me overwhelmingly confident that CA voters will come to their senses, but it could happen. Time will tell.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I have seen of CA elections doesn’t leave me overwhelmingly confident that CA voters will come to their senses, but it could happen. Time will tell.

It could happen... but so many Republicans have simply left. They can't stand the insanity, so they leave. The Republican Party increasingly represents the middle class, while the Democrats represent the wealthy and a coalition of disaffected groups including the very poor.
The middle class has been decimated in California.

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
Several years ago, while out visiting relatives, the Mrs. and I, out of curiosity, checked to see what I would make as a teacher out there. Given the substantial increase of cost of living over here in Iowa, I thought there would be some increase...nope. I’d actually take a pay cut, assuming that I’d even get paid.

I’ll stay here...

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Newsom is a special kind of mental midget isn't he. The man doesn't see the crime, the homelessness, the black hole of debt, the addiction, and all the other problems Californians are dealing with every day. There is no middle class left in Cali-land, just an elite class of billionaires and a pauper class of serfs begging at the foot of their castles. And Newsom thinks he and his cohorts are on the right track? Nothing but wild eyed delusion and mental illness as that state circles the drain.

Your second sentence is incorrect. He sees it but doesn’t care. He is all about himself and the other wealthy shitbags.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The AssHat is an ideologue.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
The AssHat is an ideologue.

That explains why his lies are so effortless.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting article. Now, with their open border and rampant benefits, California's liabilities are estimated at over two trillion dollars ...

quote:

Former Republican Governor Pete Wilson ... $16 billion budget surplus ... 55 percent approval rating ... Proposition 187 ... denied health care, social services, and public education to illegal immigrants.

How much debt does California owe?

In other words, that $1.3 trillion in debt is the amount to which California governments admit. Other studies believe it to be more. Indeed, one study says it is actually $2.3 trillion and a recent Hoover Institute stated that there is over $1 trillion in pension liability alone, or $76,884 per household.
Forbes - Apr 19, 2018

https://www.forbes.com/sites/t...inable/#2a88d00f3a23

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Your second sentence is incorrect. He sees it but doesn’t care. He is all about himself and the other wealthy shitbags.

Well, he's gotta get elected to the White House so he can save America and the world, so...

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Bite your tongue, IC!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of giving voice to this confused asshole? Why post this?

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
California is still a part of the United States. As long as it is (as is Illinois and New York) we have to pay attention to what is going on there. Why? Because it's up to us as freedom loving people to try to turn it around because what happens there will affect the rest of us. It's the same reason we pay attention to what's coming out of the mouth of AOC. Well, that and the entertainment value. Big Grin

-rduckwor