SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can't get my brake cylinders to retract enough to fit new pads
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't get my brake cylinders to retract enough to fit new pads Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
What am I doing wrong? The brake caliper cylinders on both sides in the rear on my 2015 Buick Encore will not budge. Tried reliving the bleeder valve to no avail.

This simple brake job is turning into a real bitch.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Is there an emergency brake component on them that would interfere with retraction?

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
This wouldn’t be the style where the piston gets screwed in rather than pushed in would it? Takes a special tool to do it also. Good luck.

Posts: 257 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Is there an emergency brake component on them that would interfere with retraction?
Could be. Should i remove the cable?

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ch23701:
This wouldn’t be the style where the piston gets screwed in rather than pushed in would it? Takes a special tool to do it also. Good luck.
I don't think so, there are tabs on the pads that go into notches on the cylinder.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is my first guess. First time I ran into one of the rotary style pistons confused me.

You can Rent a tool from any local autozone type places. Usually free if you return same day.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Often a C-clamp is required to compress the cylinder allowing enough clearance.

I don't know about your Buick specifically, but I have done this on Jeeps.

Check You Tube. Put in your specific make and model.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
Often a C-clamp is required to compress the cylinder allowing enough clearance.

I don't know about your Buick specifically, but I have done this on Jeeps.

Check You Tube. Put in your specific make and model.

+1, and also sometimes a large channel lock plier can do in a pinch.

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
E brake disengaged (since you are doing pads on rear)?

Did you take the fill cover off the master cylinder?

I haven't done pads on the rear, ever, although, I understand most newer vehicles come with 4 wheel disc brakes. To compress the cylinders, I have had good luck with a large c clamp and a block of wood to get them to compress (have the cover of the master cylinder off). Do it slowly, otherwise, may end up with a little splash in the engine bay of brake fluid.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened n one my vehicles. I had to turn the key on to the accessory position. Freed the system right up

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
I don't think so, there are tabs on the pads that go into notches on the cylinder.
Well, maybe I'm dumb. I think you're correct. Gonna try.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've done it before using C-clamps and Channellock pliers, but then I got a disc brake pad spreading tool. They're cheap.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Li...r-LIS24400/206994835

You'll want to remove some brake fluid from the resevoir or be prepared to have it overflow into your engine bay.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was a turn-in type. Now do the brakes adjust themselves with by turning or do I have to do something?

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
They self adjust back out when you apply the brakes. Like any brake job, I'd pump those a couple times before driving off... Smile

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
They self adjust back out when you apply the brakes. Like any brake job, I'd pump those a couple times before driving off... Smile
Big Grin so just don't take off towards the river then?

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
pump those a couple times before driving off

Don't let it alarm you. When you get in and crank her up. First couple of brake taps may go all the way to the floor. It'll firm up after a few pumps.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I've done Eleventy Bazillion Buick Brake jobs. The answers have already been given.

A large C-Clamp with one side on the caliper piston (ring like thing), and the other on the opposite side of the caliper. Compress the caliper piston into the brake caliper. Take it slow and don't force anything. Be careful not to damage the rubber seals around the piston.

Do pump your brakes before you put it in drive. You will know this is done right when your brake pedal responds with the normal resistance.

Do not open the relief valves if you can avoid it. You do not want to introduce air into the system. Bleeding brakes is a pain in the butt, and requires two men and a boy to get all of the bubbles out.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The correct answer award goes to ch23701. Saved me from taking it to the auto repair dude!

This job still cost me about $400 though because I forgot to switch to my work glasses and flung my good glasses off of my head and then I sat on them ruining the lenses.

Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
Your welcome. Glad we could help!

Chris

Posts: 257 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post