SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you recommend noise cancelling headphones?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you recommend noise cancelling headphones? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I'm interested in noise canceling headphones, ones that work w/o music. I just want the most effective noise reduction at times such as when on the tractor or mower. Can they work when shooting as well?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have the Bose QC 35 II and they are amazing on a plane and other places. They are too expensive for me to use on the mower and get them dirty or wet. Also, they are not designed for shooting as they generate a counter signal to cancel the noise and don’t respond well to sudden or random changes in noise level up and down like shooting produces.

I use the Bose for travel, some SoundGear electronic plugs for shooting and some SoundGear silicone plugs for mowing etc.

If you just want hearing protection muffs, the ProEars Gold or Howard Leights would be good.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried them all and most of them either do not remove enough mower noise or are not loud enough for you to hear any music or talking when the mower is running. Probably a combination of both.

I’ve found one and only one solution that actually works; foam earplugs and Aftershokz bone conducting headphones together. I use the Air model.

In the video I also like the Cleer headphones but they are hard to use with a wide-brimmed hat that I wear every work day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
To the Op. Are you looking for headphones, or more like shooting muffs (since you noted in your post "w/o music")? If you're going without any music, there are a couple good shooters muffs that are noise cancelling and work well.

Can you better define specifically what you're looking for.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
To the Op. Are you looking for headphones, or more like shooting muffs (since you noted in your post "w/o music")? If you're going without any music, there are a couple good shooters muffs that are noise cancelling and work well.

Can you better define specifically what you're looking for.
ok, I missed the “w/o”. Old eyes, small screen.

Best bet is the foam plugs then. I’ve got to say though that the relaxation of mowing plus an hour of Hearts of Space is pretty mellow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you want the best cancelling headphones without music then the best you can get is to use a combination of foam ear plugs and ear muffs. Just look for the highest db rating on each.

For shooting, I suggest you get one that's strictly for that and that can allow you to hear conversations.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
OK I thought maybe they'd be much more effective but I'll forget noise cancelling headphones and just continue using foam earplugs. Thank you!

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using a set of Sony (I think MX 1000 or something like that) on the mower and they work excellently. I have had them knocked loose by tree branches a couple of times and the difference is instantly apparent. Also it is nice to have music and phone capability. For shooting it is either ear plugs and passive muffs or specific design active cancelling shooting muffs if I need to communicate with someone.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2885 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I generally do not like the sound of Bose products (better sound through marketing!) and find they are way overpriced for what you get - I do have their noise cancelling headphones.

Started with the wired QC20 earbuds for use on planes, and then I got the QC30 bluetooth earbuds. Also have the QC35 full size cans but they are big and take up a lot of space in my computer backpack that has to function as a mobile office.

They are all about equivalent in noise cancellation which is very good. The Sonys get very high reviews and have some advantages in user functions.

Apple AirPods Pro are actually very good at noise cancellation too. And you can toggle between noice cancel on/off or noise cancel and "enhanced" which is sorta like a mild hearing aid.

But the primary use for these is to listen to music or movies and block out some of the running noise of the plane.

For pure sound reduction foam plugs are best, and if that's not enough, plugs and muffs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Sony XM4. They are the best bang for the buck and also has transparency modes where you can pipe in outside sound if you’re talking with someone, and often go on sale.

Posts: 4153 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have a set of Sony MDR that I got on woot, foam pads, over the top of your head, works BT for music, phone or silence, you don't have to play music just because they can.

Also have a set of Skull Candy in the ear BT, they are no where near as effective in reducing exterior noise from the mower as the Sony unit. They work, I can get the phone or play music, etc, but without music, they are no bueno as far as reducing noise.

For the motorcycle, shooting, mowing contact Big Ear Inc for a custom fit set of ear plugs, you can get them just as plugs, no sound equipment and they work very well.

https://www.bigearinc.com/

Posts: 23371 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Two different tech being discussed.

One is actual hearing protection muffs that provide an actual Noise Reduction Rating. The electronic ones use a microphone and small speakers to pick up surrounding noise and pipe them into the ear cups. These are the ones you see for shooting or Jo site use. The muffs themselves provide the hearing protection--without batteries, they still function as regular hearing protection. The ear cups are rubber and have to hold a tight seal against your head to provide effective protection.

The other tech being discussed are noise cancelling headphones. These use microprocessors to listen to ambient sound and generate a counter signal that is played into the ear cups to reduce ambient noise. These do not provide hearing protection, they just reduce ambient noise to improve listening experience. These are more comfortable, and wear like regular over the rest headphones. Great for airplanes and coffee shops, but not going to get you the level of isolation you would get from ear plugs.

I prefer my Sony WH-1000xm3 over my Bose QC35ii. Both in listening quality and proper function when paired across multiple devices. I have no experience with the new Bose 700.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bose

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Like Ridewv's post above, I've been using the Bose QC headphones for several years. As my existing model finally gives up, I replace them with the most current model. I'm super pleased with Bose, pricey? In deed they are, but they work really well and last much longer than expected.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
For what you want, I would look into the Sensgard Sensgard hearing protection devices. You have a choice of 26 or 31 dB noise reduction; they are much easier to put on and much better than foam ear plugs. I use them primarily with woodworking or grinding wheat with a very noisy mill.

No battery or electronics involved, just a very clever application of acoustical science.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
OK I thought maybe they'd be much more effective but I'll forget noise cancelling headphones and just continue using foam earplugs. Thank you!

I’d say the answer is yes. When in a class I use in ear hearing pro (SportEar, think the company is Axil now) with Peltor noise cancelling shooting muffs over them. When shooting at home on our little range, EAR cylindrical yellow foamies plus the Peltors.

I’ve spent enough time on tractors or running chainsaws that I’d like to keep what hearing is left…

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. So if I understand correctly noise cancelling earphones which can play music, work at least somewhat w/o music being played right? But better than foam ear plugs? I have no interest in listening to music while mowing I only want very quiet and comfortable to wear, and preferably not the tandem of ear plugs plus over ear muffs.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Please refer to my post above.

Noise cancelling headphones do not provide hearing protection.

They reduce background noise. Think noise from a coffee shop or inside of a passenger aircraft cabin.

If your mower is producing noise at they level that you are looking for hearing protection, then noise cancelling headphones are not likely to cut it. They are certainly not going to be as effective as ear plugs for loud noises.

I have standard ear muffs, electronic muffs, earplugs, and both noise cancelling headphones and nose cancelling earphones. For a riding mower, you want either muffs, electronic muffs, or earplugs.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use ear muffs with apple airpod pros underneath. The airpods do nothing for ear protection, but they do allow me to listen to audiobooks at a comfortable volume while I cut grass.

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have some Peltor that I like for mowing and shooting.
The model/type is MT15H7F 370-SV.
Looking online now, the prices are all over the map, so look around for a good price.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post