SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideas for Feb visit to Maine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for Feb visit to Maine Login/Join 
Picture of whododat
posted
The wife and I are looking for ideas for visiting Maine next month. We have never been there and are looking to stay for 3 nights. We love driving on trails and being next to water. Yes, I know it will be very cold Eek
We will be taking our 1 year old Rottweiler with us as well. We do not like overcrowded/tourist areas and would prefer to be away from any craziness. Cabins or houses are preferred.
Our vehicle is more than capable of handling crazy weather as well.

Thanks in advance.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
East Overshoe is nice this time of year.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I would think "touristy spots" would be fairly clear during February, and there are many worth seeing. I visited the state in September 2005 and took many photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631966158254/. I visited again in July 2011 and took more photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157627442365941/

The 2005 trip (85 days, 11750 miles) included a drive along the Atlantic coast and the border with Canada. It was very scenic, but I didn't take many photos there (too busy driving). What few there were are at the beginning of this album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631915274197/.

I don't know what you will find of interest in Maine, but I'm confident there will be things there for you to enjoy. Do have a good time!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
February in Maine is ice fishing and skiing.

I don’t think you will be driving on any trails, snowmobiling is the only trail sport in the winter.

Things to do: Sig is in Exeter , New Hampshire - 10 minutes from the Maine border. The coastline will be very quiet.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
What SIGfourme said. Trails are HIGHLY unlikely to be open (or passable) to wheeled vehicles.

Other than ski areas and snowmobile meccas, I doubt tourist crowding will be an issue this time of year. Accommodations, OTOH, might be scarce as most of the tourist motels/hotels close for the season.

Check with Acadia National Park to see what (if any) hiking trails are open. The seacoast from Bar Harbor to the Canadian border in Calais is gorgeous any time of year, and will feature rugged views and rough water.

If you're not planning to come this far east, I'd recommend going North along the Maine/NH border and possibly Jackman/Greenville/Moosehead Lake area. Be prepared for a horde of snowmobilers in Jackman and Greenville and possibly limited availability of accomodations.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the type of activities you enjoy you may be better off planning your trip in the spring just ahead of tourist season to avoid crowds.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
For the type of activities you enjoy you may be better off planning your trip in the spring just ahead of tourist season to avoid crowds.

But there are no black flies in February.

Might be some micro-breweries to visit if you're into that. As others have said though, skiing/riding, snow machines, snowshoeing are the prime Maine winter activities.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Most of Maine is a frozen tundra in winter, not a lot of outdoor activities besides skiing or snow boarding.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Camden ME is next to water and there are trails nearby. There is a short hike to a summit overlooking Camden. The streets are steep, narrow, and the snow will make them treacherous. There are some Victorian B-and-B there, downtown. Lobster will be gone, of course, but perhaps seafood will still be fresh.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
An 18 hour drive there, an 18 hour drive back, and you plan to spend 2 full days in Maine in February, but you want to avoid any craziness. Too late.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lobster will be gone? what are you talking about?? Lobster is a year round fishery and you can have fresh lobster anywhere on the seacoast, anytime.
The problem with Maine on a short stay is that people don't get the time involved in traveling from section to section from south to far north is a day. So really you will need to focus on a subset of the whole state.
I live in the midcoast (near Bath ME). for hiking with a dog we all head to popham beach since dogs are a winter only thing. You can also (depending on the tides get yourself organized to go on horseback) Then for some relevant local indoor stuff so you can warm up go to the Maine Maritime museum in Bath. If you stay on the coast and head further north you can go to acadia (as suggested) if any of the trails are open. You can hike any of the local parks and beaches as well just expect tough work if the snowfall is deep. Or bring your snowshoes.
For enjoying the things people do outside like ice fishing, skiing (downhill or cross) and snowmobiling you need to head north. I prefer the Millinockett area for snowmobiling as you can then go in baxter state park and mt. katadin. You need to rent sleds which is best done with NEOC, who will also rent you a cabin varying from rustic to extravagant. But you will be spending real money for this kind of event and of course the dog is stuck at while you sled. You can also hike extensively from there, but best is a sled.
There are a million options for skiing if thats attractive.
lots of nice choices for staying and ice fishing varying from rustic to luxury.
anyway a few ideas.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Why, was airfare to Antarctica too expensive?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have been there in September and it was cold. Shipyard in Bath will be open. You will learn what Maine snowshoes are as well as Bearpaws.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Not some place I’d go this time of year except to ski.
The coast is beautiful in the other three seasons but surely mostly closed up this time of year.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, it is looking like March will be better for us time wise. Just really wanted to see it for the first time. We are in no rush for anything.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
If you like food go to Portland. Lots of great places to eat. Like antique cars, try the classic car museum in Arundel and Owls Head Transportation Museum. Some of the roads in Acadia can be closed to auto in the winter. Check first for what is open. Like hand crafted furniture? Windsor Chairmakers 2596 Atlantic Hwy, Lincolnville, ME 04849

Call Bath Iron Works in Bath and see if you can get a tour.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post