SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago shooting has me thinking about what I would have done
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago shooting has me thinking about what I would have done Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:

Think about it this way. in essence everyone on the plane IS a pilot, just ranked in order from the real pilot down to the last guy willing to take his chances of landing a burning plane.

I disagree. You have maybe two people who know how to fly the plane. At best, 3 or 4 if there's a couple who actually know how to fly the plane. The rest are simply dead weight or soon will be.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19678 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Interesting conversation with a local Sheriff’s deputy who was teaching a CCW renewal class. The Department Policy is that an off duty deputy who comes across something going down is strongly encouraged to seek or maintain cover / distance, call it in, and be a good witness unless death or gross bodily harm appears imminent. When questioned, he put it more bluntly, “If it doesn’t look like someone’s about to die, call it in, observe, and stay the F*** out of whatever is going on. And this is the policy for sworn deputies. His contention was that the Citizen CCW holder would be very wise to follow the same policy.

With 20:20 hindsight, if someone happened to have cover, a good angle, and a safe backdrop and they burned this individual to the ground after he fired on the doctor/ girlfriend, that would have been a better result. (Maybe not for the CCW holder, but overall)

However, one never has the benefit of 20:20 hindsight when stuff is happening. It could have just as easily been the case that the disturbed individual would have dropped his weapon and surrendered to the police when they showed. If that were the case, burning him to the ground might not have been such a good / justifiable approach.

And even if what one does is ruled justifiable, life is not ever going to be the same after dropping that hamme.

The Monkey had the best and most concise answer.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I disagree. You have maybe two people who know how to fly the plane. At best, 3 or 4 if there's a couple who actually know how to fly the plane. The rest are simply dead weight or soon will be.

You never really know until it happens. A goof who has played with a lot of flight simulators, has good coaching, and good weather conditions may get lucky. A licensed pilot, even one with an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate who isn’t trained in the bird involved or something similar may crap out and wad the whole thing up in a ball.

I don’t know that it has ever happened with an airliner, but there have been multiple recorded cases of non-pilot passengers safely getting the airplane on the ground after the pilot was incapacitated in smaller airplanes.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Nope. Not getting involved.

From what I've read, many cops don't even like dealing with domestic issues like that because of the mix of emotions with potential for violence.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be a good witness for the police that you just called.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm actually surprised that so many of you are going to call the police that quickly. Perhaps we have different definitions of what a heated argument is.

So two people are arguing loudly and passionately. Nobody is being shot, stabbed or beaten. It's not physical. Nobody is threatening anybody. What do we have? Disturbing the peace?

Barring something else that indicates a criminal act I'm not going to bother the police with it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I'm actually surprised that so many of you are going to call the police that quickly. Perhaps we have different definitions of what a heated argument is.

So two people are arguing loudly and passionately. Nobody is being shot, stabbed or beaten. It's not physical. Nobody is threatening anybody. What do we have? Disturbing the peace?

Barring something else that indicates a criminal act I'm not going to bother the police with it.
Did you miss this in the OP's post?
quote:
Man lifts shirt exposing firearm and tells you to get lost.
I wouldn't have approached in the first place, but that wasn't the scenario the OP gave us.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23287 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't have approached in the first place,

Which is what most of those saying they'll call the police are also not doing. So if nobody is approaching and is taking cover and being a good witness, nobody knows there's a gun in play.

Of course I'm calling the police if somebody is threatening myself or anybody else with a weapon.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't have approached in the first place, but that wasn't the scenario the OP gave us.

Yes TT, you are correct. It now is obvious to me it's a mistake from the get go to approach.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post