SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Plumbing. Or, how a small problem turns into a big bill.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plumbing. Or, how a small problem turns into a big bill. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Short version: three days ago, the kitchen sink stopped draining. Drano, wait overnight, hot water. Not draining. More Drano, go to work, snake it (12' in, nothing coming back, but it would go no further). More Drano, wait overnight, hot water, not draining.

I finally gave in yesterday and called my favorite local plumber. (Truly, I like these guys.) "We can get you on the schedule next Wednesday..." Geeze. Okay, fine. Thank you very much.

Got home after work, poured a half-gallon of Liquid Plumr and let that sit. Didn't mess with it this morning.

This morning, my pal at the plumber called and said he had time to come over this afternoon. "Cool! Come on over."

My pal gets here and runs about 48' of a 50' snake down the line. Brings back nothing. Starts sending hot water down the line... it drains! (Was it the LP, or did he break the clog? We'll never know.) So, let's fill both bowls AND let the water continue to run and see how well it drains. As soon as he removed the plug from the disposal side, there was water all over the place underneath. WTH?? Confused

Well, friends, it turns out the disposal has a hole in it. Great.

Summary (so far -- he's still working) is that the clog may have finally been dissolved by the Liquid Plumr (maybe not), and I'm predicting a bill of about $350-400 once it's all done.

To be fair, the disposal obviously needed to be replaced anyway, and if left alone may have led to other problems in the future. I can't be uptight about it all, I suppose, but it's a bill I really didn't anticipate.

In the words of a great frend: "there's more to living in a house than just showing up." Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely more required of a house than just showing up.

A few months ago, my next-door neighbor mentioned their AC was not cooling, just blowing warm air.

I asked him when he last changed his filters.

His response "Filters?"

Yes and you have two units so two filters.

"Where are they?"

In the attic where I showed you how to unclog the condensation lines last summer.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
unclog the condensation lines

Ooh, thank you for that reminder. I need to do that this weekend, too.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
vthoky: "..and I'm predicting a bill of about $350-400 once it's all done."
I recommend getting his estimate BEFORE he starts work (if it's not too late).

Last week I asked a plumber to give me an estimate to remove and replace my kitchen faucet and garbage disposal with brand new one's I had purchased. He came over, looked at the old ones under the sink and the new ones in boxes. His estimate: $750 (seven hundred fifty)!! That's three times what I was expecting for a simple replacement. I told him I would look into other options.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I recommend that you search SF for the disposal recommendation always given. Asking us again will only make the members drink heavily. It is Friday, after all.

I concur that today’s work prices are stupid high. I asked a reputable HVAC contractor for an estimate on a dehumidifier. $4000? Are you serious?

I did some plumbing today. Replaced the 1/2 bath faucet. Replaced the master bath right faucet. I hate to think how much this would have cost me. Three hours labor. Full retail parts. Maybe $900?

I had a disposal case erode, and leak. It must be the food chemistry…metal eating microbes.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^

A valid point, understood entirely. And ordinarily, I'd certainly have done that.

These guys are "regulars" in my world, having helped me at home before and often at work, plus I've know this particular fellow since he was about 10. With these guys, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get ripped off.

quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I recommend that you search SF for the disposal recommendation always given. Asking us again will only make the members drink heavily. It is Friday, after all.

Waste Kang! Cool

God bless America.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Definitely more required of a house than just showing up.

A few months ago, my next-door neighbor mentioned their AC was not cooling, just blowing warm air.

I asked him when he last changed his filters.

His response "Filters?"

Yes and you have two units so two filters.

"Where are they?"

In the attic where I showed you how to unclog the condensation lines last summer.

Interesting. This is the first house I've ever owned that had air conditioning since I'm from Alaska but I've got one unit and two filters.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
4MUL8R, where did I ask for a recommendation? Was it not clear that I already have the replacements?

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^

I believe 4MUL8R was referring to my own comments about a new disposal, and the numerous mentions here on SF in the past about Waste King disposals.

God bless America.

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Yeah, for giggles I asked for an estimate on replacing a water heater.

$2,300!!!!

Uh, no thank you. I will do it myself.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That quote is way too high!

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I avoid using liquid drain cleaners because i have seen the damage to pipes they can cause, always better just to snake it. Garbage disposal is really easy to replace, plenty of videos out there on how to.

Posts: 93 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Nope I have never seen liquid plumber ever work.. So its Roto rooter for me

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If you have metal pipes, either cast iron or galvanized, acids will harm them. Enzymatic type digesters are gtg, though.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
Nope I have never seen liquid plumber ever work..

My plumber pal said, "Does that stuff work? Pfft. Think about it: I don't go places where it works..." Big Grin

God bless America.