SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Disappointed in Baer Brakes misleading though not fully inaccurate Made in The USA video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointed in Baer Brakes misleading though not fully inaccurate Made in The USA video Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Been shopping for brakes and like most purchases I make I do my due diligence to buy American made products. While not always possible or prohibited by cost I do my best.
Came across Baer (though have been aware of them for years) touting this Made In the USA video

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/kXakcHOPSuM

Pretty slick video and sure looks like they are made in the US. One thing however I did notice was that you don’t see a single brake pad in the video. That caliper looks to be loaded but they sure aren’t spotlighting the pads like they are the rotors.
So I inquired about the pads, turns out the pads are not made in the states and the rotors are not either technically they are cast overseas and just drilled, slotted and coated here.

quote:
Thank you for your message. Both the Sport rotors and pads are manufactured oversea to our specifications. Rotor casting are then processed (cross drill and slot) in out Phoenix, AZ manufacturing facility and then are zinc plated locally.

Semantics maybe but at least New Balance has the Made in the USA line and the Assembled in the USA line giving the consumer a little better understanding.

Haven’t fully ruled out Baer but have swayed a bit back to EBC. Their pads are made in Cleveland and to my understanding the rotors fully made in the UK.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with what works best. I had EBC green pads and EBC standard rotors at all 4 corners on my 2008 expedition for over 50k miles (closer to 60k I think) before I traded it in last June and they were great.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I bought a rain jacket recently with a tag proudly emblazoned with an American flag, which in very small print states: "Designed in the USA, Made in Bangladesh"

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'd go with what works best. I had EBC green pads and EBC standard rotors at all 4 corners on my 2008 expedition for over 50k miles (closer to 60k I think) before I traded it in last June and they were great.

These are my top 2 contenders

EBC S4KF1534 Stage-4 Signature Brake Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008..._api_i_4O8QCbH37M63G

Baer Sport Drilled Kit
https://www.carid.com/2016-for...model[]=SUBMODEL|XLT

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I bought a rain jacket recently with a tag proudly emblazoned with an American flag, which in very small print states: "Designed in the USA, Made in Bangladesh"

At least they spelled it out for you Baer is not as clear.

quote:
Baer Brakes are MADE IN THE USA! We do all the CNC machine work, assembly, and even powder-coating in house at our headquarters in Phoenix, AZ. Watch the birth of a high performance brake system here...

No mention of the rotor casts being made overseas and nothing about the pads.
Not to mention the “birth” would be more of the forge/casting done overseas in my book.

————————————————

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I only used EBC on my bikes, and thus far EBC has been my favorite on cars as well. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Baer will be called to task like Gillette was. My experience with foreign-made rotors was extremely poor, and I wouldn't want to repeat it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Are you going to put them on a vehicle that's made offshore, or most of it's parts come from offshore?

I've used BAER brakes on Corvettes. They work great and look fantastic. Follow the bedding process if you want maximum performance.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Raybestos good brakes never had an issue.

They claim American made.

http://www.raybestospowertrain.com/historyhighlights

I've bought many sets from Summit Racing
https://www.summitracing.com/

Great service, ship same day.

Posts: 1550 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Are you going to put them on a vehicle that's made offshore, or most of it's parts come from offshore?

I've used BAER brakes on Corvettes. They work great and look fantastic. Follow the bedding process if you want maximum performance.

I am picking up what you are putting down but I do believe that the Expedition is the most American built full size SUV available.
I know it is dang near impossible to get fully American made anymore. But I still do my best to seek it out when making purchases.

————————————————

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They reason we can't get 'full American' is American's don't want to pay what it would cost. Wink

Then, define "made". Completely thought of, designed, and manufactured from materials sourced in America??

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
They reason we can't get 'full American' is American's don't want to pay what it would cost. Wink

Then, define "made". Completely thought of, designed, and manufactured from materials sourced in America??

I am clear on the cost and it is unfortunate. Though there are times when I am willing to pay it.

As noted in my original post it may be semantics but yes. Made in America would be that of all American materials and labor.

Granted there are very few of these any more but New Balance is an example.
Their Made in The USA line is just that. Their Assembled in the USA are crafted here of imported materials.
Also if I am not mistaken LaRue stuff is all made of domestic materials.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Cost is one reason. Some things can no longer be manufactured in the US due to environmental regulation.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slotted and/or cross drilled are going to wear the pads out a lot quicker. You won't notice any difference in stopping power over standard rotors unless you do 5 or more panic stops from 65 mph in a row...….They do look cool though.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post