SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Off-Grid Living" YouTube channels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Off-Grid Living" YouTube channels Login/Join 
posted
Don't you, by definition, have to be on grid to upload to YouTube?

I especially like the ones with the folks with smart phones in their hands.

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
People claiming to be off-grid, carbon neutral, or sustainable are hucksters.

You want to claim to live "off-grid" do this to make the material to make clothing, and then we can start talking about you being "off-grid."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
These shows bent a very old friend of mine's head, he headed off to the woods with his wife a couple years ago or more. I followed their "progress" with horror -- that's a whole other story. The 2020 election ended our long time friendship.

But I can still check them out on Instagram, they proudly identify as living a sustainable lifestyle. Their solar is simply way inadequate. He has to use a contractor grade generator to power the batteries his solar can't.

A mutual acquaintance says the guy ignored a tick bite, got infected, spent time in the hospital and almost died. But yeah, off the grid, woo hoo Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've always considered "off-grid" to mean not on necessary public utilities (namely power). It would be easy enough to upload videos without being hooked to the power grid.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've always considered "off-grid" to mean not on necessary public utilities (namely power). It would be easy enough to upload videos without being hooked to the power grid.
Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Big fan of youtube these days however those Off Grid Living, Homesteading type videos really grinds my gears.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:

I get where you guys are coming from but unless all the repeaters, servers, etc. between them and YouTube are stand alone, they connect as soon as they hit "send" whether they're plugged into the wall or not. You can't be off-grid and connected to the internet at the same time.

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Big fan of youtube these days however those Off Grid Living, Homesteading type videos really grinds my gears.

I wouldn't mind checking this one out. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
I am wirelessly off grid. Cool

Posts: 2026 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:

I get where you guys are coming from but unless all the repeaters, servers, etc. between them and YouTube are stand alone, they connect as soon as they hit "send" whether they're plugged into the wall or not. You can't be off-grid and connected to the internet at the same time.
So if I go stand out in the middle of the pasture with nothing but a cellphone , I'm off grid . Then I connect to the Internet and pull up YouTube . I don't consider a cellphone network as " Grid " . But I'm an old power company guy and apparently " The grid " means something different to us .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, here's my pace logic.

1) Grid does not just mean electric grid. It means any public utility. (Webster)

2) Off-grid means you are not using said public utilities.

3) As soon as you connect, you are using grid structure by way of routers, repeaters, servers, etc., all of which are connected to public utilities (electric, phone, cable, etc.) You cannot connect to the internet without the use of public utilities.

4) If you're standing in the middle of a pasture and pull up the internet, you have a "wireless connection" not a "wireless disconnected".

YMMV and that's fine. Smile

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
I am wirelessly off grid. Cool

So you identify as off grid, that's what counts these days.

I can recall watching one and the guy starts building a root cellar. He rolls his mini excavator in and digs one. Hell I'm as ON GRID as you can get and I couldn't do that. Boy you're really roughing it! Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard Louis Proenneke was an " off grid" pioneer.

But I often wonder if some didn't consider him a hermit of some degree ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
OK, here's my pace logic.

1) Grid does not just mean electric grid. It means any public utility. (Webster)

You didn't finish the sentence . Webster also said " Such as electricity , gas , or water ." Big Grin I just don't picture wireless signals as a " grid " . But like I said , I come from a world where it's really a " grid " .

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So, I admire people who can and do choose to live a life of their own choosing. To do their own thing. Most do not. I get it. A high percentage of people now work for some form of government. I feel sorry for them. There is no freedom in that ever, imho.

Putting things out there that may help others or encourage others is good. Most (not all) of these folks who have yt channels are not those people. A lot of them are just plain silly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
So then does one need to be a T-Rex to teach others about dinosaurs?
Can I do a camping tutorial if I don't live in a tent and cook over a fire 365 days a year?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post