https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9910060884

January 03, 2022, 01:03 PM
ensigmatic
I can order that for you
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
it may incur recurring charges.
ensigmatic -- Are you saying that an item in inventory will be taxed this tax period, and if still in inventory the next tax period it will be taxed again?

I'm not an accountant, so I don't know the specifics as to how states and municipalities tax inventory. I just know they do.

That was one reason stores used to hold big inventory clearance sales. To get that stuff off the books.

It's my understanding inventory taxes are being eliminated and that's why you don't see as many inventory-clearance sales as you used to.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
January 03, 2022, 01:53 PM
shovelhead
To my knowledge it is based on dollar value of the goods on hand so yes, unless an item is written off the books as in a non saleable item you would pay taxes on it again.

Another reason for clearing non moving or slow moving items off the shelf.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
January 03, 2022, 02:50 PM
HRK
Funny how we'll get online and order things from digital retailers and wait for shipping, yet if a local shop doesn't stock a warehouse full of things it's problematic.

Now if it's something you have to have right away to fix a problem then it's understandable.

More an issue of expectations than actual product delivery, since other than the odd item from Amazon, same day service doesn't exist online.

January 03, 2022, 03:47 PM
shovelhead
Needed a Truck-Lite brand 7” LED to match one I already had to put into my Jeep. eBay cheapest price I found Was $169.99 with free shipping. Three year warranty but through an AUTHORIZED selling dealer only so purchase from an unauthorized seller you are out of luck as the company will refer you back to the selling dealer.

So off to Amazon, same thing, multiple sellers but one name I recognize, bought the one I already had from then a few years ago. They list it at the same price $169.99 and the usual free shipping offer and stocked at Amazon’s warehouse in about five or so days.

Go to the seller’s own website. Same headlight $164.99 plus two day shipping on their dime, FedEx.

Five bucks less and two day shipping, authorized seller. All good.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
January 04, 2022, 09:46 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
To my knowledge it is based on dollar value of the goods on hand so yes, unless an item is written off the books as in a non saleable item you would pay taxes on it again.

I was pretty sure that was the case. At least in Michigan.

The accountant at one of my smaller employers explained it to me, once, but that was... forty years ago or more?

I was running the circuit board design, manufacturing, and repair part of the business. I finally got tired of doing things manually, so I brought my own computer into work, wrote an inventory control programs in BASIC, and plugged everything into it. That's when I learned the difference between inventory and capital equipment Smile

(It took the rest of the business over a week to complete annual inventory. It took my department two days Smile.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
January 04, 2022, 03:15 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
If you can order it for me, I can get it off eBay or Amazon for less in two days.

Enjoy your going out of business sale.

Really? Confused

You guys are just feeding the algorithm machine.

Literally the only point of having the brick and mortar location is to be able to get the item you need immediately. I'll happily pay the premium if I can walk out with the item I needed immediately. If they don't have what I need, and I'm waiting for shipping either way, why would I pay the "immediate possession" premium rather than ordering myself, saving money, and in some cases getting improved shipping times?

Do people really waste money having the brick and mortar location order an item at a premium price when the item is available cheaper online with either the same or a better shipping window?

I used to work with a guy that now manages a Bed Bath and Beyond,

he told me folks come in the store, look around, and will order the stuff they want on their cell phone vs actually buying what is in their hand,

said somedays he feels they are nothing but a show room for amazon

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

January 05, 2022, 07:40 AM
SpinZone
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Funny how we'll get online and order things from digital retailers and wait for shipping, yet if a local shop doesn't stock a warehouse full of things it's problematic.

Now if it's something you have to have right away to fix a problem then it's understandable.

More an issue of expectations than actual product delivery, since other than the odd item from Amazon, same day service doesn't exist online.

I'm not sure we are on the same page. It is not about ordering it myself vs letting the local store order it for me, It is more about the expectation that I am going to pay a premium price at the local store in exchange for the opportunity to check out the quality, the fit, and immediately walk out with it in my hand.

If the local store is not holding up their end of the agreement by not having what I am looking for, then why should I pay their premium price for it? The point being that having the local store order it for me vs me ordering it myself (even at the same price) is not equal. I have already invested the time, cost, and trouble to go to the local store when I could have ordered it while I was on the john and called it multitasking.

And to some replies in this thread, I am not talking about oddities. I wear size 9 boots, not size 19. Yesterday it was a fishing reel at academy. They have 3 sides of counter space covered in fishing reels and I want a specific sized reel. 3 different models of reels that I am interested in and they only carry them in them one extra big size that is not going to work for me. But hey, they can order the reels in whatever size I want.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

December 29, 2022, 11:37 PM
SpinZone
Best Buy.

How are they still in business? I need a track ball for my new laptop. I want it before I start to configure it so I stop by best buy to get one. Wireless, couple of buttons, any basic one. Nope. They have 19 different colored mouses (mice?) and one track ball. With a cord.

Hunt down an employee to make sure i am not missing something and get the magic catch phrase. Thanks, I'll go to Logitech instead of best buy .com and pick out a good one.

I won't even go into looking for a wireless card for a desktop. I did find one local but I hsd to work at it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

January 04, 2023, 06:10 AM
Fredward
There are several factors at play here. The easy way is to blame the retailer. I work retail selling guns, so that's all I know, but here's my experience. It's January, when retailers are usually taxed on inventory. That can run about 3 percent of the retail value on all items in stock. Additionally, many wholesalers are also internet retailers. I get told they have no wholesale inventory on an item, so I can't buy it. I go to their website, I can order it at retail, or just under retail prices, as a retail customer. Why? Simple. A small shop doesn't profit the wholesaler as much, but retail prices certainly do. Who take the blame from the customer? The local shop is shitting on customers again. As mentioned previously, this is all part of corporate policies. Squeeze out the retailer, let the big guys handle it. Only problem is, when it comes to guns, when the shops go out of business, where are you going to have your gun shipped?
January 06, 2023, 06:32 AM
selogic
I'll do you one better . I took my Stihl string trimmer into the shop for a broken throttle cable . Not in stock , gotta order it . Fine . A week later I call on it . " They sent me the wrong cable , need to reorder ." Another week goes by . Call the man . " They sent the wrong cable again " . I give them another week and I go to the shop . Still no cable . " Give me the trimmer , we're done here " . They brought it out in pieces in a bag . I didn't care , I just wanted out of there . Never been back . NO attempt to correct the situation . Just blame it on the parts distributor . Surely somebody in the country had that cable but that didn't matter . They are the only shop of that kind within a 30 minute drive anywhere and they have plenty of business . Not mine .