SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pain. Unlike anything imaginable.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pain. Unlike anything imaginable. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Ok, pain is subjective, one person's 9 is another person's 6. About a year ago woke up with lower back pain, out of the blue, MRI showed bulging discs. After a regimen of prednisone it still hurt but tolerable. Few weeks ago woke up,pain moved from lower back to hip and thigh. Prior back pain a walk in the park. Slightest movement of leg was so intense I actually screamed.

Another MRI.Ortho guy says it's referred pain, origin is in disks. Refers me to pain management ctr a the street, get guided epidural.Assured within a few days, no more than a week, pain would be gone from hip and thigh. Pain so excruciating have to sleep in recliner. Lying in bed sheer agony.

Everything closed today. Pain worsening, few days ago I could hobble around house, today I'm using a walker. Entrapped nerve? Faulty injections? 5 days of unmitigated he'll.

PS doppler showed no DVT,but fluid in knee. Another pain point.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Good Lord, Rog, that sounds like hell on earth Frown

Hope you can get it mitigated somewhat soon. Wish I had something I could suggest, but I got nothin' for stuff like that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I know how you feel; it can be hell.

I hope you can find some kind of relief. If not immediately, then long-term you and the pain clinic can find something that works. If they're anything like the folks I've been seeing for my back and my head they're absolute saints.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry to read this; at 52 years old I am still relatively pain free.

The occasional back-tweak or random kidney stone puts me down hard, I don’t know how those of you with daily chronic pain do it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a second shot. You can get up to 3 LESI in a year. Physical therapy and strengthening core will help as well. I would call them back and ask for a second injection. He should be using contrast and Fluor to verify site.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had 3 bulging discs about 10 years ago. Wrong move would put me on the floor sitting on my ass as the pain shot down my legs.
Cortisone shot 1st and then I found a reputable chiropractor. I know there's bad ones out there but a friend recommended him. 3x a week for adjustments for a month and I was feeling ALOT better. Some core exercises and stretching helped immensely.
Just a thought to help you.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash had intense back pain. She'd wake up crying in the night.

She got two operations where they put in plates and screws in two different places and she's now been pain free for over 5 years.

But you need the right doctor or you can get really messed up.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eventually you may want to visit a neurosurgeon. Ask around for a recommendation.

Posts: 104 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Seems back pain can remain even after getting the problem fixed... has something to do with the signals getting stuck in your brain and such... look it up...

As for pain... the two I can't decide which was worse... when I did a backwards dive off a two story roof and broke two vertebrae or when they pulled the temporary impeller out through my fimeral artery....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The most pain I've ever experienced was a Doctor debriding 144 square inches of 3rd degree burns on my body every day for a week or so.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Had major back pain at times throughout my life. Used to think it was most severe. Then i spent a month in a burn unit. From that point forward anytime somebody asks my pain level on 1-10 I never go higher than 7. When asked i tell then 8, 9, and 10 are reserved for burn pain.

Rogb, I hope you find a solution to your pain. I have an arthritic and bulging L4/L5. Had the steroid epidural but having regular chiropractic therapy has really helped me the past 3 months.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been where you are. I take the epidural injections every 4 months. I can tell you that from what I have read, these things get better. It may come back, but at least there is comfort knowing it is not constant?

Posts: 659 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
You may very likely have neural impingement in your lumbar vertebrae. The nerves for your legs all branch out from there. With your hip and thigh hurting, I start to think about sciatic nerve. (does it feel muscular?)

I had a nueral tube down to 7mm when it was supposed to be 21. Compression frac when I was a young man.

Went through everything for 40 yrs, even doing steroid epidurals at the end (from a guy who had done well over 10,000… He was really good; experience matters) … avoiding lower back surgery until I couldn’t endure longer. Ask my primary back Doctor who he would send his daughter to for the referral.

Was touch and go for a month postop, but much better now.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun:
Eventually you may want to visit a neurosurgeon. Ask around for a recommendation.

This is great advice. I feel for you, having gone through 18 months living in a recliner before and after my back fusion.

I am now pain free and have a new lease on life. I hope you find the same relief.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how you continue on with such pain. Prayers for a good solution.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
You need a second shot. You can get up to 3 LESI in a year. Physical therapy and strengthening core will help as well. I would call them back and ask for a second injection. He should be using contrast and Fluor to verify site.

Actually, according to my ortho doc, that used to be the old rule, but they can do more. Sadly for me, the injections don't do much, but I'm nowhere near as bad as Rog. But mine is every day, all the time, never gonna go away and will one day get worse.

Man on the moon = check

Mechanically impinged nerve 3/4" below the skin = "Sorry dude, you're gonna need to eat these, get these shots, and wait for it to get so bad that we decide (not you, we) to cut it all up and bolt your bones together".

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had an unguided lumbar puncture back in July that led to a meningitis diagnosis. I was so sick, he had no time to send me up to radiography for a fluoroscopic guided procedure.

Now I know why Spinal Tap's amp went to 11.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34112 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
...pain moved from lower back to hip and thigh.

In my experience, hip and lateral thigh pain is more indicative of referred pain from facet arthropathy than from spinal nerve impingement. Without seeing the MR and being able to do an exam it is, of course, not possible to tell though.

It is certainly worth trying another ESI as they can have a cumulative effect (make sure they add local to the injectate - if you have short term relief from the pain then you know they hit the right spot), otherwise I'd have them look at your facets and either block them (diagnostic) and/or do an ablation.

In the meantime, you might invest is an inversion table. They can help a lot.

Hope you are feeling better soon. As someone with it, I know back pain can be miserable.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RogB, have you found any relief? I've been where you are and I'm praying for you. I hope you found some comfort.

Posts: 659 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post