SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A new (to me) kind of tomato (with photos)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new (to me) kind of tomato (with photos) Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
A couple of days ago Whole Foods offered some tomatoes of a kind that I’d not seen before. The brand was “Row 7”, labeled “Midnight Roma Tomatoes”. I bought a box to try.

I mixed some Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce into good mayo, then cut two of the little tomatoes into thin, even slices. I mixed the slices into the spicy mayo and ate them with a spoon.

Danged good, they were! The Midnight Tomatoes were somewhat similar to heirloom tomatoes in that they had more firm flesh, less juice, than regular tomatoes (in fact, they were crunchy). Their flavor was unique too (and good).

Another difference: many tomatoes have a tough green core where the stem was attached. Not these – pull the leaves off (easily and cleanly done) and everything else is edible.

Yeah, I’m planning to buy more of these tasty little guys. Whole Foods offered them yesterday, too, so hopefully available for a while.

In the box:

In the bowl:

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Looks like they might be good sliced, with slices of Vidalia onion, olive oil, salt & pepper.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You had me at tomato.

Why is this in the complaints room? These are amazing.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34393 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Midnight Tomatoes

I think I will try some. Also appear as cherry tomatoes.

https://www.row7seeds.com/prod...dnight-roma-tomatoes

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4337 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My rural relatives pronounced them "tomaters" or just "maters"
But never toe-mah-toes!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
You had me at tomato.

Why is this in the complaints room? These are amazing.

Re: Why is this in the complaints room?

A blunder on my part. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post