SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    They don't call them "Jesus" clips for nothing.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They don't call them "Jesus" clips for nothing. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Some of you DIY/home mechanic types might appreciate this little true story that happened to me today.

Took off the time from wiring my new barn/shop to do a favor...

It was running when parked... replaced by a newish truck.

Drug it out of the weeds, up to my garage. It started instantly when jumped off after being parked for over a year. A grandson drove it about 40 miles, put in a tank of fresh gas, ran good and the transmission functioned flawlessly but a front caliper seized so... I gave it a pressure wash, cleaned the nasty out the bed, removed the broken bed cover, replaced two broken door handles and the door locks, replaced the broken tailgate latch, gave her a front brake job with two new calipers, 1 new window regulator, 1 missing/broken drivers side door mirror replaced, oil and filter change, (coolant looks good) new battery and new battery cable ends... and I'm done! (subject to road testing) and this 2008 Chevy Colorado is useable again! (Will need tires) AC even works, good! Just over 300k on the clock and it starts and runs perfectly. Engine is amazingly quite (with 30-50 in it!) Wife went and paid to get current tags for it. For some reason... he ain't real bright... it paid off but he still has insurance on it.

SO proud, no left over parts or anything. Cool

Not my truck but charity work. Labor and parts furnished by me.
That should score me at least a little bit of good Karma right?

Apparently not!

My LAST SINGLE action to be DONE is to reinstall the drivers side window crank... YEP... Bumped the handle to pop it back on, just like I had just done the other side, and the retaining clip simply... disappeared.

It didn't't fall in the door. I removed the door panel, again, and looked. It didn't land inside the cab that I can find and I even covered the drive and part of the yard with my rolling magnet... nope... it has apparently gone to that big Jesus Clip home in the sky.

Hopefully the local parts house has them in the generic Dorman section... or I can get 100 of them from Amazon in a couple days for about 7 bucks.

This belongs to a daughters boyfriend and will be a temporary daily driver for a family member until they can do better. (long story)

Yea, could be much worse I guess...

I do have some epoxy and could glue that f&#!er on.... er, maybe not... if it breaks again it will be me that has to fix it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, on the ISS...

*tink!*

"Did you hear that?"

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I had to read your post just to know which clips you were talking about. I was on the second paragraph when I realized...he's going to work on a window in a minute!

Sorry for the luck. Good karma still coming your way.

(I have had springs "disappear" only to find them in my shoe, or on top of my hat AFTER I replaced them.)

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
Meanwhile, on the ISS...

*tink!*

"Did you hear that?"

Now thats damn funny, thanks for the laugh!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You aren't required to maintain insurance after the vehicle is paid off in ur area? Or were u just surprised it was insured while parked in a field. Also, why are you running 30-50 in the crankcase of a new (it's 7 years newer than my daily) vehicle? That's diesel territory or a farm tractor. I imagine it calls for 5-30 same as my 01.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
You aren't required to maintain insurance after the vehicle is paid off in ur area? Or were u just surprised it was insured while parked in a field. Also, why are you running 30-50 in the crankcase of a new (it's 7 years newer than my daily) vehicle? That's diesel territory or a farm tractor. I imagine it calls for 5-30 same as my 01.

If it's on the road it must be insured. Yes. I just figured he had stopped or transferred it to the new vehicle when he quit using it to save a few bucks.

Sorry my bad, 20-50 and thats plenty good for the winters we have. Engine is worn out. Over 300k miles on it.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I think there are two different part numbers for those in the GM Parts system, most common is P/N 4168122. I know that part number was never changed for many years, I used to have a Chevy parts book from 1953 and that part number was listed in there, no telling how far back that number was introduced.

You are not the only one to lose those. I’ve lost a few over the years. Ok, a lot of them.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Used to work for a guy who called things like those "dammits"!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

I can get 100 of them from Amazon in a couple days for about 7 bucks.
$1.64 ea. at RockAuto

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't roll up the cuffs on your pants do you?

Back when I did, that's where every little pin or clip that I lost would end up.

Got to where I would check there early on in the search.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post