SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Epson Driver Update Bricked My Epson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Epson Driver Update Bricked My Epson Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Now, the official Epson high quality black ink cartridge is not recognized by my ancient Artisan 837 printer. Perfect. Looks like on top of the tax bill this year I get to buy a new printer. No, the various YouTube tutorials on how to unbrick the printer did not help.

I am old enough to remember the good old days. I am young enough to try to NOT be a complainer about today not being as good as the old days. But, the old days were better.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess they are taking their cue from Apple where updates brick the phone.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Happens to Android phones, too Wink

Difference is: Sometimes, when an Apple update bricks a phone, tablet, or watch: Apple will try to un-brick it and, if unsuccessful, will sometimes replace the device.

Or MS-Win boxen going Tango-Uniform on an update. Those were always fun--particularly when an employee failed to keep his or her stuff backed-up to the Corporate servers like they were supposed to do.

Or any number of bits of network gear, like the NetGear bridge I had that an update bricked. (I was able to recover that one via a serial console login.)

Happens to a lot of stuff. Even had it happen, once, to a Sun Solaris server installation. That was a good time--particularly since it was the root directory server for the entire Corporation. Then there was the FreeBSD install that bricked on an OS update. That was fun, too, being as it was the Corporate proxy firewall for the Internet. Took me two frackin' days to get that back up and running.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only experience was with Apple and it consumed two whole days of my time.I really did not mind paying 200 bucks for a new phone. The nearest Apple store was two hours away and telephonic support was of no help. My phone was backed up so that part was ok. Apple suggested Best Buy and as usual that was an exercise in futility.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I needed a printer to print off legal documents in PR so I bought the only one Best Buy had for under $150... an Epson. It's the biggest piece of shit and despite me replacing the black ink cartridge it won't let me print in black and white because "the color is empty." I never printed a color document yet the color cartridge that it came with had 1 depleted color while the others were 20-40%. Epson should have a class action lawsuit brought against them for this bullshit. I'll never buy or recommend an Epson product to anyone because of this.

Posts: 816 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Can happen on any device and is usually a malfunction of procedure as the cause.
It is still frustrating nonetheless but look for a way to re-flash or restore.
Blaming {fill-in-the-blank} is of little value.
I upgrade firmware all the time and very very few times has something gone awry but it has happened.
Usually on a motherboard and most of the time (at last now days) I can recover or re-flash.
Perhaps the printer might has such an option or method.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with the term malfunction in procedure. Can you dumb it down please?

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Man...really sorry to hear about your printer troubles, 4MUL8R. My printer disconnects from my PC for some unknown reason(s) and fortunately "fixes itself" when I reboot. It's connected via WiFi, but it's a pain when I try to scan something and my computer says it can't communicate with the printer. Frustrating...

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Since the iOS update to 16.x on my iPhone SE (2nd Gen), the bluetooth connection in my car has sucked. I am thinking of performing a factory reset on the phone and then re-installing everything. Do y'all think that will remedy the bluetooth issue in my car?? I've had others with both iPhone and Android connect to my car and it worked just fine.

Thanks!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
My Epson printer has been telling me for years that an update is available, but I refuse to download it for this very reason! It works just fine as it is, and even with aftermarket inks. I know the latest update blocks the use of anything but OEM inks, so I won't run it!

Posts: 4592 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have a brother laser that I really like. I bought a new cartridge at the same time and i have been using the original toner for the last 2 years.. was used to HP ink jet going dry after a week!!! Used to love HP but they seem to make trash now

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post