SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Crooked Receptacle (Electric Outlets) And Switches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crooked Receptacle (Electric Outlets) And Switches Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Vacationing this week with my wife’s family in Virginia and while the house is huge and very nice, built in 1978 and appears to be recently renovated/updated, there is virtually not a single receptacle or switch that is NOT crooked.

What causes this? Carelessness when they installed the wall boxes?

It seems like a trivial thing but it’s all I see and it bugs me!

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How crooked are they? Post a pic

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Sloppy finish electrical by a low budget electrician.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Sloppy finish electrical by a low budget electrician.

Probably this. The good ones will even align the slots in the face plate screws so that they match.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Probably this. The good ones will even align the slots in the face plate screws so that they match.

Probably aligns his grip screws as well!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Should have been done correctly by the electrician, or fixed on the punch list/before final walk though. (by the superintendent or builder)

Easy (but tedious) fix.

Most wood stud walls the "nail on" box is properly aligned, but on "trim out" (when electricians set the receptacle and switches), they often do not align receptacles or switches, they just stick them in and tighten the screws. The guys coming in and doing "switch and plate", may not align, and sometimes the painters knock things out of alignment during the paint.

All of that should be "squared away" during the last phases of finishing the house, but are often missed if a tight "QA" by the builder is not followed. (I was an anal builder, and never let crap like that go)

Remove the wall plate, and if the receptacle/switch screws are not cranked down too tight, use the plate, reversed (the side you see when installed) and used to "position" the receptacle/switch" to the correct/straight alignment, then put the cover back on. (the plate gives the leverage/control to position the receptacle/switch in the box)

Little things like this really gripe a lot of people, and I never understood why a builder would ever let such "obvious" things be left and not be addressed.

Once a homeowner sees such things, they are forever looking for anything else undone/out of place.

Why create an environment like that?

(yeah, I align my grip screws, too!) Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Your OCD must be as bad as mine.

Then there is the seam on the lampshade... and the cords are showing...

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile,
He found a crooked sixpence against a crooked stile;
He bought a crooked cat which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together in a little crooked house with crooked electrical outlets.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Got a couple outlets that are slightly off in this house, but I knew it when I bought it so I live with it.

It is annoying, though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All this time I thought I was the only one that aligned grip screws. Yikes, there’s more of us huh?

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I watched an electrician install switches and outlets in a business where I worked. He used a 8" level to insure everything was perfect. Took a few seconds per install.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
For the few here that know nothing at all about electrical stuff...

The screw holes where receptacles and switches attach are SLOTTED for adjustment.

It simple could not be any easier to put the device straight while installing them. To not do so is... beyond lazy.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
For the few here that know nothing at all about electrical stuff...

The screw holes where receptacles and switches attach are SLOTTED for adjustment.

It simple could not be any easier to put the device straight while installing them. To not do so is... beyond lazy.

....working with one butt cheek.

I just replaced a pair of flaky old switches this morning, and was very conscious of having everything line up properly.

One of the old switches, some of the plastic trim on the side/back of the switch was *broken*, but they installed the thing anyway. Very half-assed.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I watched an electrician install switches and outlets in a business where I worked. He used a 8" level to insure everything was perfect. Took a few seconds per install.

That's how a professional does it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post