SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Jumping off of Leemurs thread, asking my wife questions...or patience building exercizes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jumping off of Leemurs thread, asking my wife questions...or patience building exercizes Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Q: "Where are your keys?"
A: "In my purse" Roll Eyes

Q: "Where are the ipads?"
A: "Which one?"
Q: "Either one, doesn't matter"
A: "I don't know where either one is"

And the all too often exchange of...
Q: "What do you want to do for dinner?"
A: "I don't care"
Q: "How about Italian?"
A: "I don't want that"

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

That very exchange has been going on since the beginning of time. I imagine it probably happened in the garden of Eden...and then she finally picked something and look where it got us! Lol

My wife really isn't too bad in that regard, I'm blessed in that regard. I do work with a bunch of females at work for 12 hours a day that fit the bill, though.

Dispatch: "County Units, reckless driver, white semi, all over the roadway"
One of us: "Location?"
Dispatch: "US30, Westbound."
One of us: "Westbound from where, dispatch?"(There's about 25 miles of US30 in our county).

You would think that after once or twice they'd get the idea, but it's almost a daily occurrence.

Posts: 9165 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Haha, I've seen that frustration in the work environment too. In some cases (read: with certain people) it came down to structuring the question correctly.

Example: "I'm looking for the new flux capacitor. Do you know where it is?"

There was a formula to building the inquiry:
(direct statement) + (yes-no question) might = (solid answer)

Yes, it was frustrating. No, it didn't always work.

Example:
Question: "I'm looking for the new flux capacitor. Do you know where it is?"

Potential suitable answers:
a) "No, I don't know where it is."
b) "Yes, I can take you to it."

Sample response: "Well, it came in on the truck on Wednesday, and might have gone to the lab for calibration. It was in a green box, and the pallet was all busted up...."

Maddening sometimes, I tell ya.

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
You would think that after once or twice they'd get the idea, but it's almost a daily occurrence.

That my point, how many times does the drive thru person have to ask what drink you want with an order before you start to just tell them unprompted.

I also like getting directions, "go up a ways and there is that place we ate at, go towards the beach there and once you see the brick building, look for the green sign"

No use of actual direction words, street names, or anything.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Want to build patience and develop tolerance?
Try questioning victims or witnesses as a cop.
Example: Man assaulted in bar at 11PM.
Me: What happened to you?
Victim: Well, I got up at 7AM, had some Cheerios and left for work. But I had to stop to get gas...
Me: Uhhh, What happened in the bar?
Vic: Well, I took a shower before I came here....
Roll Eyes
And if you ask for a written statement, you get the same thing.
That why Friday used to say "just the facts, Maam"!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Hell no. I haven’t one hour of patience it takes to be a cop. Safe shift folks but it’s not for me.

Posts: 1149 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I was growing up, that question would always come up. Dad had a favorite response.

Mom: Well, do you want Italian, chicken, hamburgers, pizza, or a steak?
Dad: Yep!
Mom (rolling eyes): Fine. Hamburgers it is.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

I also like getting directions, "go up a ways and there is that place we ate at, go towards the beach there and once you see the brick building, look for the green sign"

No use of actual direction words, street names, or anything.

To be fair to your wife, I also give directions by landmarks. Usually barns or other such structures as our area is fairly rural and I know most of the farms by names of families that haven't lived on them in 50 years. I also cant remember every township road number for the amount of gravel paths that pass as roads here.

Joys of spending 40 years in the town u were born in I guess.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2782 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
To be fair to your wife, I also give directions by landmarks.

My wife also gives directions using landmarks, but using her personal description of the landmark which can be confusing.

Getting directions in Kansas: "Go to the next light and turn south."

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10870 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"It's the next street after you pass the house where that guy lived with the little dog."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31340 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brother asked me once if I saw the Western movie where they chase the guy down? I could only respond “as opposed to the one where they shoot at Indians… seriously?” He burst into laughter after realizing his absurdity. Never happen with a female. They expect mind reading.

Posts: 223 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very blessed by having a wife who almost never does this.

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
As we age, the conversations get less precise. Yesterday, I had to figure out "It's over there with that thing."

Eventually, I won't be able to find anything.

I love her to pieces, though.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was visiting home, I was with my wife, my mother in law was with us. We were driving by one of my favorite old spots for food, hole in the wall place. They had this special of 2 burgers and fries for $5.00. I stopped and said, I'm going to grab us some burgers and fries. My mother in law interjected and said, "I don't want burgers and fries, get me a..." and I cut her off and said, "I said I'm getting us burgers and fries." Roll Eyes No where did I ask her what she wanted. There was a reason why I was getting burgers and fries, because it was a special.

quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

I don't ask anymore, I make a command decision.

Posts: 13280 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PatAz:
I am very blessed by having a wife who almost never does this.

Me too! Both my wife and I are busy medical professionals and don’t have time in our life for indecision. We don’t often eat out ( other than our weekly Friday night VFW post dinners where we help serve and clean up anyway) but when we do she can decide pretty much instantly what she wants or where we go.
Even typical girl stuff, she might ask me a question like “ which one looks better or which should I buy the red or blue? I tell he blue, and that is that

Posts: 3368 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post