SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Another Anti-Rant: Every once in a while you win one...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Anti-Rant: Every once in a while you win one... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I have been trying to sell a 2003 BMW K1200RS for Dale the Builder for a couple of seasons now. He decided to have me take care of a couple of issues with it, hoping to improve the chances of selling it.

One was the rear brake lever. It was severely bent and appeared to be cracked. A new one is well North of $200 (thanks, BMW) but ya gotta do, etc.

I had the bright idea to have it welded. I assumed (and you know where this is going) it was aluminum and I don't have the tools or the talent to weld aluminum so I was going to take it to a local guy that's pretty handy with a TIG torch.

Figured I'd do him a favor and wire brush the area to clean it up to make life easier for him. A few seconds on the wire brush followed by a little touch-up on the belt sander revealed two things:

1) It wasn't cracked, it was just the powder coat flaking off, and
B) It isn't aluminum it's mild steel.

Given that, I popped it in the vise and gently worked it back straight, holding my breath the whole time waiting for that SNAP! of it breaking but I managed to successfully straighten it out.

Less than an hour of my time vs. $235-ish? Don't take a Rocket Surgeon to do that math...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15539 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice work
The K12RS was the first BMW I really liked.
No bikes in the cards for me, for a while, though.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the future when you are trying to straighten a steel part Heat can be a real friend. Because many Steel grades do have a nasty habit of Work Hardening and then cracking. Apply a bit of heat to get the work area a dull red and all those concerns about cracking go away.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the good guys win.

Posts: 671 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Nice job, PHPaul!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post