SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chronic pain
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronic pain Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Update: the steroids knocked down a lot of the inflammation and by proxy the worst of the pain. I'm probably at about 80% compared to where I was before I fell.

MRI is done, and I just got off the phone with the spine doc's assistant; she's getting me set up with the MRI images and a printoff of the report. I'm assuming my doctor hasn't looked at it yet. I know that we're supposed to discuss it when I go back on the 24th.

Pain clinic appointment is this afternoon, this should make life a little bit easier going forward.

As painful as it's been, I'm beginning to think that falling down the stairs may have been a blessing in disguise. My biggest fear is being ignored or, worse, being treated like a drug seeker. The recent injury and rapid onset of symptoms has been hard to ignore.

I've also been taking steps to attack this from a mental health perspective - big changes are coming from the looks of it, and I've never been very good at pacing myself.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Only one time, I was walking up the stairs and I was still middle age when I experienced back pain only for a fleeting moment. It was horrendous and not like any back muscle pain I experienced.

It made me empathize with anyone having back pain.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash did a bad fall, landed on some large rocks and ended up having back pain that gradually got worse.

She finally asked a good friend where he got his back surgery done and he highly recommended a Phoenix Doctor.

She got two different back surgeries, never took anything stronger than Tylenol for pain after the surgeries and is now totally pain free.

Getting the right Doctor is everything.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Mrs. Flash did a bad fall, landed on some large rocks and ended up having back pain that gradually got worse.

She finally asked a good friend where he got his back surgery done and he highly recommended a Phoenix Doctor.

She got two different back surgeries, never took anything stronger than Tylenol for pain after the surgeries and is now totally pain free.

Getting the right Doctor is everything.

This is what I hope for.

My friend answered my queries with, "if it were my back, these guys are who I'd see." I really hope this guy can help me.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a cycling accident that messed up my back several years ago. I take turmeric daily and also a baby aspirin. At first I also took vitamin E. Has to be the natural version, I think it is d-alpha, but it really worked to get rid of the worst of the pain. The other thing with going with natural anti-inflammatories is that they take a while to work. I know it won't solve all of your problems, but hopefully makes it so that you won't need as much pain meds. If possible CBD with a trace of THC to rub on your back will also help with the inflammation. There is not enough THC in these oils to get you high, you won't feel any effects.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Update: low back MRI was clean. I have a slight bulge in one of my discs, but nothing that would cause what I've been living with. The doc thinks it's mostly muscular and/or something higher up the chain. We're doing 6 weeks of PT for both neck and lower back now. Results = keep going, no results = x-ray and another MRI.

I stopped PT for a few weeks while I was waiting for the MRI appointment and have been doing minimal activity until I started PT again last week. Pain was rough this weekend, but yesterday and Monday were the first in months that I didn't need any pain meds at all. I'm not going to question that, but I will be waiting for the other shoe to drop - this is how I felt right before they started me on strength training last time at PT.

Edit. THC may have a lot of legit uses, but until it's federally legal I won't touch it.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Vulrath… here’s hoping PT does the trick for you. My back issues are driving me *mad*, literally. I’ve been so uncomfortable lately it makes me restless/anxious. Chronic pain just flat out blows. I’m going for a myelogram next week to try and see what’s new.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Not sure if it's a blessing or curse but last week the pain was pretty mild. Had 2 days blissfully free of pain, then at the end of Wednesday I had to break the streak and take something. Thursday and Friday were rough (had to use the cane Friday). The past few days my foot has felt nice and twitchy almost constantly. That's almost worse than the pain, and I'm already maxed out on my Lyrica dosage due to side effects.

One of my doctors has a theory,I'm not going to mention anything past we have a theory we're following, and if there are positive results I'll update.

The EMG and conduction study didn't tell them anything past "you have nerve damage on both feet." Thank you, I am aware.

I really hope things go better for you than me, and they find something. It's not fun.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Chiropractors are witch doctors. Razz

One ringy dingy.... Big Grin

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I have an Inversion table that helps me when I get back pain. I believe the lengthening of the spine can be good for you. I will advise you to start out slow, and totally relax and let it work.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post