SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Facebook/Craigslist scammers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook/Craigslist scammers Login/Join 
posted
I listed some wheels & tires for sale. Six responses - 6 scammers. Yeah it isn’t unexpected but what I’d like to do to those assholes ————-

Posts: 766 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yep, par for the course.
I listed a blown engine earlier this year, half dozen spammers and 2 that I had to vet a bit before having serious discussion with.
2nd ended up buying it. Pretty funny pulling an engine out of your trunk.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I have a guitar on CL and FB Marketplace now. Nothing but scammer responses. One was based in Bulgaria, his FB name was in Cyrillic, said he'd have his brother in Phoenix come pick it up. LOL. Who falls for this stuff?

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
How were they scamming you?
Curious on the details.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Most of them are profiles created the same day as your listing, typically a young woman photo (about 20 yo), no friends or post history, and they want it right now, listing a phone number to call them, and respond about 5 minutes later getting pissy if you do not reply/call.

They stop after a few messages, when you don't reply/respond.

I do not even reply to them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Most of them are profiles created the same day as your listing, typically a young woman photo (about 20 yo), no friends or post history, and they want it right now, listing a phone number to call them, and respond about 5 minutes later getting pissy if you do not reply/call.

They stop after a few messages, when you don't reply/respond.

I do not even reply to them.

Wrong section of Craigslist.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
LOL.

I meant the FarceBook MarketPlace. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They want me to send them a " code " or some other such bullshit . I asked why and they said it was to verify if the ad was legit . I told them to meet me at the location and have cash in hand if they wanted to verify anything . I don't play any of those games .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have sold about 6 things on Craigslist and Marketplace in the past 3 months. The instant response is generally always a scammer in broken English. I don't respond. Usually in a day or two, a legitimate buyer surfaces. There response is obviously a non-shithead.

Conversely, if I'm a buyer, I make my first contact clear that I am a real buyer.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
How were they scamming you?
Curious on the details.

Typical approach.

Somehow they're hijacking existing but currently unused, profiles. No idea how that can be done

First hint - Said he's out of town but his brother could pick up.

2nd hint - said he couldn't use anything but Zelle and wanted my email address - which hasn't anything to do with Zelle (at least in my case)

Told him to send the money to his brother and he could bring the cash.

That was the end of that.

The others were similar. Several didn't respond after I told them cash only

Posts: 766 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:

said he couldn't use anything but Zelle and wanted my email address - which hasn't anything to do with Zelle (at least in my case)
A buyer can send Zelle payments to you using either your email address, or your cell phone number.

Something else you can do, use Zelle to send a "Request For Payment" to the other party, again using either the other party's email address or cell number. That way, the other person can just click on your request and does not need to enter your email address or your cell number.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I will use FB Marketplace to buy small stuff.

If I see what I’m looking for, I’ll just message the seller and ask if it’s still available. If it is, I say ‘I’ll take it. When and where can we meet?’

I don’t have the time or inclination to play games or quibble over a $20 item. But, scammers and hagglers must be a plague, because I’ve had sellers express relief that I’m being for real.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just posted several items on Craigslist from my brother-in-laws estate. About 6 hours later I get two messages 1 minute apart with Hindu? names about the same item. Both with exactly the same message. SURE!!!!!

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:

said he couldn't use anything but Zelle and wanted my email address - which hasn't anything to do with Zelle (at least in my case)
A buyer can send Zelle payments to you using either your email address, or your cell phone number.

Something else you can do, use Zelle to send a "Request For Payment" to the other party, again using either the other party's email address or cell number. That way, the other person can just click on your request and does not need to enter your email address or your cell number.

I rarely use it but, as I understand it, it’s either/or but not both. The only thing linked to Zelle at my bank is my phone number. No expert though

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I always use an address of a business close to me. I tell them to message me when they get there. It’s a 1 minute drive for me. Had too many idiots not bother showing up so I don’t leave my house until they are there.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
It's cash, in person, and if the word "kindly" shows up anywhere then you know they are Nigerian, Indian or Pakistani and not from my area code.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

if the word "kindly" shows up anywhere then you know they are Nigerian, Indian or Pakistani
May I know if your wheelbarrow is still available?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I am trying to sell some items on FaceBook Market place:

• Scammer ask if the item is still available
  • I replay back letting them know it is still available.
  • They ask me if they can call me and asks for my number (This is the start of the scam. They use the code to take over your number somehow, etc.)
  • I say sure and give them my number
  • They tell me that for our safety they have sent a code to the number I gave them and to confirm it is me, to give them the code.
  • I tell them I received NO code. As the telephone number I gave them is a Landline number (To a local Pizza Hut, but they do not know that LOL !!!)
  • For some reason they do not understand what a landline number is and keep asking me for the code and I keep replying the same answer back to them.
  • They start to get angry and tell them I am a scammer. LOL !!!
  • After a while they give up.

Thank you for reading how I have fun when I sell something and a scammer tries to contact me. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m going to show my ignorance. I’ve never sold an item online. What part of the interaction is a scam? Are they trying to receive goods with bullshit payment, or are they trying to get personal information from you to use in other nefarious ways?

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really a scam, but nothing annoys me more about FB Marketplace than the automated "Is this still available" response they program into Messenger. Why idiots click this when they have no intention or interest in buying is beyond me, unless they are either clueless idiots or assholes, both of which are distinct possibilities with FB.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post